1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus NX 450h+ bests Tesla Model Y in Safety Tests

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, May 7, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lexus NX Plug-In Crossover Tops Tesla Model Y’s Safety Score In 3 Ways | Torque News

Apparently the NX 450h+ also had the highest score ever recorded in the IIHS safety tests. Where did it beat the Model Y?

Roof Crush test - 5 times its own weight as well as raw numbers

Child Seat Anchor Design - Good Plus versus satisfactory for the Model Y

Front Crash Prevention - Pedestrian where it earned a Superior rating.

Odd Torque News compared it to the Model Y, but once you think about it, it does makes sense. Both are AWD luxury crossovers in about the same price range. Both are plug-ins, but the Model Y is fully electric. Refueling speed and range goes to the NX 450h+ as well.

iPad ? Pro

John321 and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still waiting for Ioniq 5 and EV6. How is it that the NX was launched later and is already tested by the IIHS?

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They did test the 2021 Volkswagen ID.4

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 earns Top Safety Pick+

It too earned a Top Safety Pick+

Apparently, from the text, you should spring for the optional curve-adapting LED projectors.

They did test the Ioniq 5 Hybrid, but Hyundai nor Kia have submitted their EVs yet. No overall rating for the Hybrid.

Edited to add Kia.

iPad ? Pro

#3 drash, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
  4. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Potentially a perfect example of how increased competition could force all EV makers to build in more quality to compete with the competition.

I think lower prices, more standard features that customers want, and reliability could all have to increase as the competition increases.

One player can not keep cranking out the same product and think this market is going to remain static in these areas nor can on maker expect to lead the segment down their chosen path.

#4 John321, May 15, 2022
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is a sibling to the Rav4 already on its second generation. hey are both assembled in the same factory. The framework for getting it, with any updates like power trains, to market is already in place.

While it did go on sale sooner, reservation holders were the only ones that could purchase the Ioniq 5 in the beginning. The IIHS probably didn't have any for all the cars they need for testing.

The IIHS buys their test cars from dealers.
    About our tests

What is an Ioniq 5 hybrid?

That statement has been true for many companies over various segments.

As for that one maker, they have lead the segment down their chosen path. Would we be getting BEVs beyond compliance purposes without them?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As an example of not being led down a path defined by a maker in the EV segment - EV makers now have EV's that have knob controls, voice controls and touchscreen controls letting the customer pick their way to interact with the vehicle - they are refusing to provide only touchscreen controls. Makers are building EV's now with the expectation of the same high-quality finish and comfort standards as their regular line vehicles. Some EV makers now emphasize economy of price as a component of their build (Leaf as an example). Makers now seem to be abandoning that one of the hallmarks of an EV must be excessive speed or acceleration for a model that the EV should mimic an ICE vehicle characteristic for performance.

The EV market is quite exciting and it is interesting to see other makers begin to develop their own chosen path for design criteria rather than follow the current tired old fad/model for EV design.

#6 John321, May 15, 2022
  7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm so they couldn’t get one either.

2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

I don’t know but they tested an Ionic Hybrid. Not Ionic 5 Hybrid, my bad. Search engines don’t think the 5 was important. I should rely on my own bots more, my regex is a little more finite.

iPad ? Pro

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla has voice controls, and I'm pretty sure they have so since the Model S first came out. Such wasn't new tech back then. The first car I had that reduced buttons for a touchscreen was my 2005 Prius. Car makers have been going more glass cockpit since.

But that is besides the point. The fact is that the majority of car makers didn't take EVs seriously until they started losing sales to that one maker. Before then, it was just short range compliance vehicles. The high speed and acceleration was to counter the beliefs and past experiences of EVs. To justify the high price tag from the then current costs of batteries. I don't think this HX450h+ is going to be slower than the Rav4 Prime, which is Toyota's fastest model now available.

The Model 3 will then go on to show you can have efficiency with what is excessive performance compared to most cars. Supposedly, efficiency was a goal of the bZ4X, but it hasn't bested the Model Y.

Tesla's business plan uas always been to start with high margin models in order to fund more economical models. Maybe they still plan to, but they don't have to. Their success has shown that there is profit to be made to the rest of the market, and they will make those EVs, which was what Tesla founders wanted from the beginning.

Hmm so they couldn’t get one either.
    I figured that was the case. With the arrival of the Ioniq brand, I don't think the original Ioniq hybrid/PHEV/Electric has long for this world.

#8 Trollbait, May 15, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
    Zythryn likes this.
  9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The EV market is changing rapidly, and the customers are demanding alternatives from the tired old EV designs.

Who cares if an EV goes 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. Our residential speed limit is 25 mph and our freeways top out at 70.

Can't wait for new models from makers who will change the design criteria and expectations of an EV.

People can be excited together, they don't have to pick sides or winners they can just enjoy the current EV landscape without being a homer for anyone.

#9 John321, May 15, 2022
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Agreed.

0-60 in 10 is ok for me but 500 miles range please.

oh I don’t need a spaceship game to play whilst I am in a traffic queue btw…

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm not the one that picked sides here.

I am saying North America would not be getting a BEV from Toyota for broad release at this time if not for Tesla's success in the market. Widening the choices only helps if they are available.

I agree that is plenty for any car, regardless of drive train. Though for an EV one, the costs of getting it isn't as steep as for a drive train with an ICE. Part of the cost is in a bigger battery, which your 500 mile range EV would have.

drash and John321 like this.