1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus TX Slated for North America

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Nov 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the MAGXNews site, a Lexus 3 row SUV is being readied for introduction that comes from the GA-K platform that the RX comes from. The LX is on the GA-F platform and the GX is going to the GA-F platform for body-on-frame so now they are looking at a Highlander like unibody SUV that takes the place of the RX 350L and RX 450hL. Makes sense to come up with a dedicated 3 row SUV from the ground up, since the RX 350L and RX 450hL were panned for its diminutive child-only 3rd row. Even with that 3rd row folded down it still had about the same cargo room as an NX 350 behind its rear seats. Hopefully Lexus will take a clue from the Subaru Ascent which is much easier to access the 3rd row than the Highlander. It's possible it could be made in Canada as well as the Kyushu plant like the RX. Here's a sneak picture of the front end and partial translation:
    "
    [​IMG]A raw photo of a mysterious test car has arrived from North America. Although it was possible to identify that it was a Toyota car from the shooting location, the details are unknown. Therefore, we will compare it with the development information that the scoop team has obtained and approach the truth.

On the other hand, Toyota launched the new Lexus RX in Japan on November 18th.
    Along with the adoption of rear wheel multi-link suspension, the rear part of the GA-K platform was improved, and the wheelbase was expanded by 60mm, the front wheel tread by 15mm, and the rear wheel tread by 45mm. Like the new crown, the highest peak model is equipped with a 2.4L turbo hybrid and a rear wheel e-axle (specs vary depending on tuning differences). In addition, the luggage space has a depth of 50mm and a capacity of 612L, and the floor surface has been lowered by 30mm.
    Despite the high sales ratio of hybrid specifications so far, the electric system models are concentrated in the 2.4L turbo hybrid and plug-in HEV mentioned above, and the RX350h is not set. This is because it is difficult to implement, so we will aim to introduce it eventually,” explained a person involved in the project. Similarly, the reason why the number of grades is limited and the number of grades is small is "because of the severe parts supply."
    The new RX is scheduled to be produced at Toyota Motor Kyushu and the Canadian plant, and monthly sales are planned to be 16,200 units worldwide, but the allocated number of units in Japan, which is the base, is 700 units per month, which is 5% of the total. Less than. It is inevitable that the delivery time will be extended.
    "
    Original article:
    https://mag-x.jp/2022/11/24/21337/

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About time. Wasn’t there talk of a TX nearly a decade ago?

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the Lexus Enthusiast site started it first. Seems from the spy shot it has a front nose like the GX.

I think the Lexus Enthusiast site is jealous of the specs on the new Prius so they want a new CT based on the Prius. (https://lexusenthusiast.com/2022/11/21/should-we-expect-a-lexus-prius/). They posted a shot of a future EV from the big EV spill last year, but that model has a suspiciously placed gas cap on the drivers side like all Lexus. If anything it might be a PHEV rather than an HEV. I wouldn't expect anything on either the TX or CT until the 2024 model year.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A CT PHV would be cool. CT300h+?

drash likes this.
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it would. Might be an intro model for Lexus as alternative to the UX.

More information from Creative311 website (partial translation):
    "The new TX is expected to debut as a new SUV model from Lexus now that the new RX
    does not have a 3-row 7-seater lineup.

At this point, we don't know what kind of model it will be, but if you check the information
    that has already been filed for a trademark, it is TX350/TX500h/TX550h+, so it is between
    the new RX and the North American exclusive GX. Pretty sure it's a model.

In terms of Toyota, it would be a Lexus version based on the new Highlander, a middlesized
    SUV & 3-row 7-seater specification, but considering that, the TX will only have a 3-
    row 7-seater lineup. yes.

By the way, if you predict the details of the TX engine system that Toyota/Lexus has
    applied for...

• ◇TX350...Gasoline model with 2.4L in-line 4-cylinder turbo engine
    • ◇TX500h...Hybrid (HEV) model with 2.4L in-line 4-cylinder turbo engine and electric motor
    • ◇TX550h+...Plug-in hybrid (PHEV) model with 2.4L in-line 4-cylinder turbo engine + electric motor lithium-ion battery

It is expected that this kind of engine system will be used, but on the contrary, if it is
    positioned between the new RX and GX, I think that it will feel lacking in power unless it has
    a certain amount of powerful specs. Above all, it is questionable whether a hybrid based on
    a downsizing turbo engine will be successful in the American market (the US reaction to
    the downsizing turbocharged Lexus LX600 is questionable)."

Original article:
    https://creative311.com/?p=149371

My thoughts, seems like Lexus is doing everything it can to differentiate from Toyota. A sub 6 second RX 500h hybrid system doesn't feel powerful enough? Can't believe they didn't include an e-CVT based hybrid 2.5L system like the Highlander and the RX. The RX 500h doesn't have a selectable EV mode like other Lexus HEV and PHEVs do because it's a true parallel hybrid system, so of course I'm curious how the TX 550h+ will work. From what I've read and the videos I viewed, the engine always fires up on the 6 (Hybrid Max) and 10 speed (i-Force Max) tranny and EV only drive at low speed kicks in rarely if at all.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll likely be based on the (still rumoured) Grand Highlander.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's probably the Hybrid Max(parallel) system from the Crown. Maybe a more powerful motor. Maybe increase the boost, and octane requirement.
    Having installed the EV 'button' in my 2005 Prius, the mode on a NoPlug hybrid is of very limited worth. I can't think of a technical reason to not have it on a Parallel hybrid for the reasons Toyota intended the EV mode to be used with the first Prius, but people want to use it outside of those roles. Where it is easy to end up using more gas overall.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, just called by it's Lexus name, Multi-stage hybrid. On the TX 550h+ they might have some of the same parts from the i-Force Max system and have an additional starter motor. Or like the Hyundai PHEV system, a starter motor/generator.

Have it on my Lexus NXh. Never used it. The Lexus is quite capable of shutting down the engine at any speed and switching to just EV by itself and I've got pretty good at using just the gas pedal for pulse and glide and EV only. I kinda gave up on the glide because the Lexus default is coasting, not regeneration, when taking your foot off the gas pedal.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I read the headline as "Lexus Texas".

vvillovv and Trollbait like this.
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Forgot about the multistage system. It's a power-split; essentially HSD with a 4 speed automatic added to the back end.
    https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/12/14/lexus-tech-inside-the-multi-stage-hybrid-system/
    I expected it to be used for the Tundra. Then the accountants pointed out a parallel system gives the same benefit for less cost.

The Hybrid Max in the Crown was described as a parallel hybrid in the release reports. I took that to mean something like the system in the Sonata/Tucson.

drash likes this.
  11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I forgot about the HSD attached to the 4 speed tranny. Since the RX turbo/6 speed with motor/battery was first I guess we'll have to call it what Lexus describes as F SPORT Performance and I guess that labels the TX 550h+ with F SPORT Performance Plug-in. Not exactly a technically descriptive title like the Hybrid Max, but then again neither is i-Force Max. Like the Tundra with the i-Force Max powertrain, there is no longer any indication on the RX 350h, RX 450h+ or RX 500h that it is a hybrid of any kind. Not sure what Lexus wants their customer to know, but the gas-only turbo RX 350 AWD and RX 350h are the exact same price at all trim levels. First time I've seen price parity like that. They have similar performance and the same towing capacity, except the RX 350h can go almost 200 miles longer on a slightly smaller gas tank and of course gets better gas mileage, 36 versus 24 combined. They are just gonna stomp that confusion out with the TX. Go from TX 350 to TX 500h.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does anybody using a number naming system follow their own rules?

The Lincoln sibling to the Fusion; MKZ, it didn't have numbers; had the same starting price whether the hybrid or base engine. The Lincoln didn't get the small 4 cylinder of the entry Fusion. Lincoln was the first to do this back in 2011. I didn't think any others had done so. Well, now we have a Ford where the hybrid is the base engine. The Wiki reports the hybrid take rate started at 20%. It got better, but the AWD V6 option for the later years gave the ICE sales rate an advantage.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bestcarweb.jp has more info on the upcoming Lexus TX. They're guessing it'll be designed to accommodate a BEV and that there will be a 2.4L Turbo gas only, a turbo hybrid as well as a 2.5L THS II hybrid. They aren't sure there will be PHEV variant and that it will go straight to a BEV by redeveloping the TNGA-K platform to accommodate a BEV.

レクサス 新型TX2023年に爆誕!! 3列シート完備でバカ売れ必至か!? - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

partial translation:
    "■ Development with BEV in mind
     The design has a wagon crossover atmosphere that is not found in existing Lexus SUVs.

The body size of the Highlander is 4950mm long x 1930mm wide x 1730mm high with a wheelbase of 2850mm, so the TX will likely be similar in size.

Although it is quite large in size, the interior has a considerable amount of space, and the legroom in the third row seats is likely to be that of the Alphard/Vellfire class.

[​IMG]
    A new SUV based on the Highlander, a Toyota brand exclusive to overseas markets. It looks like it will be a large size with a total length of nearly 5m and a total width of over 1.9m (Image is a predicted CG by Best Car)
     Three types of power units are available: a straight 4, 2.4L gasoline turbo, a newly developed hybrid, and a conventional THSII 2.5L hybrid.

At present, there is no information that PHEV will be set, and it seems that the policy is to skip PHEV and add BEV (electric vehicle).

Lexus TX is being developed with a view to converting to BEV. A space is secured under the floor to install a large-capacity battery, so that the BEV can be incorporated into the lineup at any time.

Toyota is developing a two-pronged strategy, e-TNGA, a BEV-only platform, and modifying the existing TNGA platform to make it a BEV. The representative of the former is the bZ4X, and the latter is the Lexus UX300e¥.

Like the UX, the Lexus TX will be a car with three power units: a gasoline engine, a hybrid, and a BEV.

Currently, Lexus has four types of SUVs, NX, UX, RX, and LX (RZ will be added in December), and this TX will enter there.

In the domestic market, where only the Mercedes-Benz V-class is the only luxury brand minivan, the TX's large-sized three-row seat feature is also a rarity value.

As a vehicle class, it is likely to be the same as or higher than the RX. The price depends on the power unit, but the best car is expected to be in the high 5 million yen to 8 million yen range.

While based on Toyota's Highlander, it will be a car with a sense of quality suitable for Lexus.

The important thing is that there are few rivals in Japanese cars.

The 3-row seat SUV with the same size as the TX is about the same Lexus LX (Rancle 300) or the Mazda CX-80 scheduled to appear in 2023, and the rest will be SUVs of European premium brands.

In that sense, it has a lot of qualifications to become a car that is nominated for purchase.

First, gasoline and hybrid models will appear in the fall or winter of 2023.

Lexus TX (2.4 Turbo HV) expected specs
    ・Length x width x height: 4950 x 1930 x 1730mm
    ・Wheelbase: 2850mm
    ・Vehicle weight: 2000kg ・
    Power unit: straight 4, 2.4L turbo + motor
    ・Engine maximum output/maximum torque : 272ps/46.9kgm
    ・System output: 349ps
    ・WLTC mode fuel efficiency: 15.0km/L
    ・Estimated price: 7.5-8 million yen
    ・Time of release: Fall to winter 2023"

This latter expected specs seems to follow the TX 500h (2.4 Turbo HV) that's been copyrighted. The specs mirror those of the Highlander, so just a WAG at this point. So maybe the TX 550h+ may either disappear or become the BEV.

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the TX will be pushed back to Winter of 2023 with the recent executive change and possible reorg of the BEV GA architecture.
    from bestcarweb.jp:
    レクサス 新型TXにヤリスクロスサイズのSUV登場か!? 今年もレクサスはSUVで勝負に - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

Partial translation (no real new information from the previous post in December):
    "The 5th Lexus SUV will be a 3-row seat SUV Lexus TX (scheduled to appear in winter 2023)
    [​IMG]
    Lexus TX (scheduled for winter 2023). Among Lexus, which has many coupe-like SUVs, the TX, which creates the atmosphere of a wagon crossover, appeals to its unique charm. It seems that we can expect a lot of high-end interiors (image is a predicted CG by the best car)
     Like the Century SUV, the Lexus TX is being developed based on the overseas exclusive Highlander.

In Japan, it will appear as a 3-row SUV following the LX, but the design will have a wagon crossover-like atmosphere that is not in the current Lexus SUV lineup. The body size of the Highlander is 4950mm long x 1930mm wide x 1730mm high with a wheelbase of 2850mm, so the TX is likely to be the same size.

As a result, the interior space is quite spacious, and the legroom in the third row is likely to be in the Alphard class.

Three types of power units are available: inline 4, 2.4L gasoline turbo, newly developed hybrid, and conventional THS II. EVs are also being considered."

This one will have a US audience as they've already filed the copyright paperwork. This will fill the gap left by the departure of the RX 350L/450hL and stay on the GA-K (unibody) platform. The LX is on the GA-F (body-on-frame) architecture. For those in Australia, this will be the Lexus version of the Kluger. Won't get any juicy details or definitive acknowledgment until about August timeframe.