1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LF door weatherstrip fail. How to replace and p/n?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by egg_salad, Feb 10, 2020.

1. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's an '08, if that matters.

I've just now discovered that the outer window seal on the drivers door has failed; the rubber has split.

Drilling through the parts lookup, it appears what I need is:

Door Window Belt Weatherstrip (Left, Front)

#1 can someone verify that I'm looking at the right p/n?
    #2 anyone have any tips at changing this part?

Thanks.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  3. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

That's an old thread, still useful. I note that the current MSRP is 50% higher than what's quoted in the thread. Nothing gets any cheaper!

Ah yes - found it, thanks, under section ED-20. Looks fairly straightforward. Thanks for your help.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Job done. Some notes for future readers:

I was somewhat surprised my local dealer had the part on the shelf. I was entirely unsurprised that the parts guy wanted to charge me 10% OVER list price. He ever so graciously agreed to match list price. How thoughtful.

As for methodology... the method listed in the manual is... fine. I suspect it is written that way so a technician could remove the part in a non-destructive way - but I can't think of a reason one would need to remove it if it wasn't being replaced.

It's a lot faster to remove it in a destructive fashion. Pop up the rear edge of the molding with a nylon trim tool and just yank. The whole piece just popped right off, in an admittedly highly destructive fashion, but so what?

End-to-end, including removing and replacing the inner door panel, would have taken 25 minutes. Except that upon disassembly I discovered that the aftermarket tweeter mount that I created had failed, so I took some time to fix that, but that's entirely unrelated.

valde3 likes this.