1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LG VX8100 Works Fantastic!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by XLR8, Jan 5, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

that sounds about right...they need a fix for the fix! :lol:

I have the 6100 so I don't get to play till I upgrade...... I was considering the 8100, but its not avail at this time... I just got a new phone and I expect my 15 days to return it may expire before I can.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i know the phone is not available...but not for the reasons you claim. what you were told is completely wrong

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well I'm the first to admit the people on the other end of the phone at verizon don't always know what they are talking about.... but she claimed it was bluetooth incompatibility reasons......
    Since its not avail, I didn't bother to investigate furthur.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the phone will be available on the 16th and i think on a cost/performance basis, it is one of the best selections verizon has. the Moto E815 is also in the same class, but seems to be less satisfied people on that end and it wont have the VCAST music thingy (if you are interested in that...personally, i think its overated. some will like it, but going against iTunes is a formidable task i would nt wish on anyone)

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

There was a two day window to get the 6100 for 29.00... so I did.. now to update to the 8100, I think it will cost somewhere around 199.00?... I think all I would use is the blue tooth.... trying to decide if its that cool.

6. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

Well.....here's the scoop on the "right" adapter...in case anyone else wants to do this.....

I wanted to connect it to the aux input in the center console to play the phone/MP3 player through my OEM/JBL Prius stereo. The connector (1/8" stereo/2 rings on one end of plug AND 3/32" or 2.5mm WITH 3 RINGS on the other end) is not sold anywhere local that I could find. Verizon has an external speaker system that they sell that has this EXACT plug/adapter for the speakers to connect to the phone. They don't sell just that, you have to buy the whole speaker setup to get that plug/adapter.

So, today I bought the whole thing ($99.00) and got that little darn plug/adapter and plugged it in....worked fantasic for the MP3 player to my car. PROBLEM is, is that it DISABLES (disconnects) Bluetooth when you do this. (I think once that 3rd ring for mic is engaged it does this) I can't have that.

I bought that speaker setup just to test how the "right" plug/adapter would work. I then took it back for a full refund.

Now I know that the "right" adapter WILL work BUT the disabling of the Bluetooth is a deal buster for me.

I did (and some may have tried this) buy an adapter from Radio Shack.
    1/8" stereo (2 rings) on one end and 3/32" or 2.5mm WITH only 2 rings on the other end. I could plug it up and "tweak" it just right to play nicely through my car BUT since it doesn't have the 3 rings (and needs to be just a bit longer too BTW) it just would crack and cackle/alternate between the car and phone for output. Can't sit there and tweak it while driving LOL!

So, I just wanted to give you the full scoop on what I've found out about the Bluetooth disabling thing. Just so ya know.

Good luck!

Maybe there's a workaround (I don't know...but maybe somehow covering that 3rd ring so it doesn't engage and then the plug would be long enough). I'm not sure which of the 3 rings the mic would be but it seems like that could be a possibility.

Just a thought, haven't tried that yet.

If anyone finds something out, please let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Well, with respect to that, have you seen this? Not a good thing:

VCAST Music Disables MP3 Playback

Phonescoop has confirmed early reports that the VCAST Music upgrade for the VX8100 disables MP3 playback on the phone, at least when mp3s are saved directly to the memory card. Verizon clearly stated the music player would support mp3s stored on users' PCs. We have not been able to test this yet, but it is likely that Windows Media Player on the desktop transcodes the MP3 to a WMA file before saving it to the phone. If this is not the case and the phone is still capable of playing back MP3s without transcoding, they still can only be added to the phone's music library through the desktop. It is impossible to force the phone to add MP3 files to its music library from the device.

LINK: http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1537

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    after VCAST music is enabled. any MP3 encoded through Windows Media Player will automatically convert music in nearly any format to wmv format which is what the new VCAST music format will support. other than downloads done directly to the phone over the verizon wireless EVDO network, loading the phone will be done through MP anyway. when ordering the new LG 8100 after the software update, it will come with a cable that can be used to load the flash card while it is in the phone making a special card reader unneccesary.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

I can do that now with my V710 and my son's E815. After the 8100 s/w update, will one be able to simply move MP3 files that reside on a PC to the phone?

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

yes, you will get a plug in for Media player and a usb cable to move music back and forth but only phones compatible with VCAST music will be able to do this. only about 3 models to start with i think.

the audiovox 8940 (i think...something like that)

the LG 9800 (the V)

and the 8100

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Okay, I admit I'm a bit thick and I'm having a difficult time seeing this as any kind of an advantage. It just sounds sort of like they're restricting how the phone is loaded with music. In this case it can only be loaded through MP. Is that pretty much correct? You can't simply move an MP3 file from your PC to the phone's internal memory or to the memory card without going through MP?

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep. that be right. new format will only support wmv's... which media player will automatically convert nearly every format too automatically (except iTunes...)

there is many easy ways to get around the itune limitation...for one...you can copy any itunes to a bundle of formats that will convert in media player