1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Li Ion battery temp limits

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tieme, Feb 28, 2016.

1. tieme

tieme New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I read that the battery in the 2016 is rated down to -29f. What happens when that limit is reached? Is there any concern of permanent damage? I'm from central wisconsin and while we don't frequently see Temps like that it's not impossible either.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The base Two has a NiMH battery. I recommend it.

tieme likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is being discussed in a couple threads....apparently the manual says car may not start below -29 and you need to wait til it warms up. That's for Li. The 2 w/ NiMH would not have the issue.

tieme likes this.
  4. tieme

tieme New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. Those Temps are rare enough that I can always catch a ride or take a cab if needed. A no start situation is not a big deal. I just had no idea if it could actually damage the battery.

The main reason I'm looking at the eco is the smart entry on the hatch and passenger door. I'd be sad to lose the wiper and spare though.

I'm far from decided though. Wanted to get the info on the battery first to see if it was even an option. Thanks again for the help!