1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Li-ion pack suitable for BMS+?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by miscrms, Feb 13, 2012.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi all, been out of the loop for a while but might be finally getting closer to my PHEV conversion. Doing our home solar now, and when the incentive payment comes in hope to put it toward the PHEV upgrade.

I had been considering Enginer, but gather they are still having issues. Its probably not the best fit for my commute anyway, as its ~10 miles each way mostly surface streets (~40mph stop and go) with a few short stretches of 55mph. It also sounds like they have some temperature issues, which could be a major concern here in Phoenix. I spent a lot of time working with the cal cars prius plus folks back in the day, and always like that approach but couldn't afford to actually do one at the time. It sounds like that has evolved in a pretty interesting direction with Norm's BMS+ approach.

From what I've read it seems like using Li-ion packs with the BMS+ is the direction things are going but still very much a work in progress with a lot of experimenting going on. Anyone have any thoughts on using something like these kits for this purpose?
    Elite Power Solutions
    6 of these in series would give you 72 cells with balancer's and chargers already setup for these specific batteries and a 1 year limited warranty. They also happen to be local which is appealing. Assuming the charger outputs are isolated it should be possible to charge them all in tandem while still series connected (have to check with the manufacturer on that). Cost would be about $3300 for the batteries, chargers, and balancers, might be a little better with a volume discount for 6. Should yield about 3.7kWh usable at 80% DOD spec'd for >2000 cycles. Beyond that I assume I'd need something like the CellLogs to keep from discharging any one cell beyond that point.

Interestingly I had been looking into a similar charging approach way back in the day when I was looking at a PbA pure EV conversion before I decided to just get the Prius, but thats a whole nother story :) Stacking multiple low voltage chargers like this seemed to have some nice advantages for protecting the pack and maintaining balance. There were also potential temperature/reliability improvements to not having one high power charger, although you now have more possible points of failure I suppose.

Rob

1 person likes this.
  2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Dan Lander the Enginer Kits are still plagued with faults. He really slams the Enginer brand. See his comments at this link:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...g-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle-diy-install.html

I find it surprising because Dan has previously stated that he does not like saying bad things about PHEV companies.

I recommend getting a PIS www.Pluginsupply.com as they will now supply DIY 4kwh and 10kwh PHEV kits. It evens has a ECM mod which enables ICE when doing EV at highway speeds should the load be too high.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    :) Welcome back to the PHEV world of magic !!!!

4. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks big, nice to see some old familiar faces around along with lots of new ones :)

5. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Robb's PIS system looks quite impressive. Anyone know what they are asking for the DIY 4kW system?

6. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW I appreciate what Enginer is trying to do. They came up with a pretty innovative approach to radically lower PHEV costs. At the time they entered the market at $2-4k the options were pretty much calcars DIY for $4-5k or $10k+ for a commercial kit. In many ways they achieved what calcars was really trying to do with the Prius+ project, coming up with the cheapest possible effective PHEV conversion strategy. If nothing else they have really driven the industry to get more cost competitive, which seems key to more mainstream acceptance. Unfortunately I think they have discovered first hand the challenges of dealing direct with Chinese OEMs in regards to spec and quality control. Working in the tech industry I know that this is a major challenge even for big companies, let alone a small operation like this. I think they were pretty upfront about the maturity of the product when they essentially started beta (alpha?) testing it on the public, though maybe it was not clear enough. Part of that is just the reality of a small company without the resources to do large scale internal testing without significantly increasing the cost of the end product. If it was a better fit to my driving needs I would still consider Enginer despite its issues, more out of a desire to help them continue to refine their product than anything. But as it is I really need a solution that is more full power capable for mostly EV driving.

From that perspective what Robb seems to have achieved with PIS is all the more impressive in terms of offering a mature, turnkey product at a reasonable price. Its too bad he seems to have run into so many problems with his distribution partners. Everyone (including me) is always tempted to think they can do it better for cheaper (or at higher margin) and undervalues the experience, testing and quality control that goes into offering a mature product.

Being an EE who's into this kind of stuff anyway I am still tempted to custom build something, but I have to say the PIS solution looks excellent and getting to a price where it might be hard to justify the custom approach financially.

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments.

Rob

1 person likes this.
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    miscrms,
    I was just thinking about that the other day so I sent an email to PIS. Here's their response (best read from the bottom up).

Hi Phillip,

We are working on it. Right now it is complicated to build so we don't have a DIY version. Our target price is $4,500 for 4 KW DIY for the Prius. It may be available in a few months.

Regards
    Robb

On Feb 15, 2012, at 1:10 PM, Weber, Phillip wrote:

Any word on how much a DIY 4kw system will cost?

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Chief,
    I have heard good things about the PIS 10kwhr system but I have asked and never heard from anyone running a PIS 4kwhr system. Be careful, It is not trivial to size a 10k system down to 4k. My 6k Enginer systems run way better than the 4k systems with the same BMS.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

9. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, $4500 is not too shabby!

10. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Miscrms and Usnavystgc,

Dimitri from www.autocleanpower.com is a PIS supplier and installer. About two months ago Dimitri offered me a DIY PIS kit for my Gen2 Prius but I was already using BMSplus with my own custom made A123 Lifepo4 battery pack so I could not take his offer. This would have allowed me to source the batteries myself from China as I am located in Australia. You may get a better response if you make enquiries with Dimitri.

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That may be true but, the Enginer system has too many limitations for me like
    1) Speed limited to 42 mph EV
    2) DC-DC Conversion losses
    3) Poor fuel economy until the cat conv warms up

I do a lot of short trips so the Enginer system just doesn't meet my needs. The PIS 4kw system should allow me to virtually fire the oil companies (which is my goal), but allow me the backup for extended range if necessary (from good ol' fossils)

12. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please do not link my posts to justify your statements. JUST MAKE YOUR OWN DIRECTLY

13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are not Dan Lander - Dan21. There is a world of difference between you and Dan Lander. Dan Lander's opinion is highly regarded in the PHEV community. You have no right to tell somebody how they should make a post, this is at most the height of arrogance.

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate to see this kind of back and forth on the forum.

15. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :focus:
    Hello
    I want to thank the OP.
    I believe elite power solutions(GBS cell) is pretty close to your geographic location too. Autobeyours and PIS use the 40ah cell to make up the 10kw battery pack for PHEV. The battery pack you are suggesting with 20ah is nice too.

16. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I like the look of the 20Ah GBS, but am concerned about the the charge/discharge rate. At 40Ah it should be under 3C, but for the 20Ah we're pushing 5-6C. Not sure they are up to it. This seems to be where the A123 pouch cells really shine for smaller cells. Pretty sure they're good for up to 10C, which is pretty phenomenal. Wish we had a more direct/reputable source for them at a reasonable price. The back channel is a heck of a deal, but it might be worth paying more to get known good cells with guaranteed specs.

3 people like this.