1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

License plate DIY tow hook mount (pics)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Nel, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that comes as a result of the modifications found in this thread.

Seeing as how I am poor, but don't want to settle with drilling my bumper, I had to dig around for some DIY tow hook license plate mounts. What I found was this (all credit really should go back to the OP of this thread): Tow hook License plate mount DIY - E46Fanatics

Aside from the hardware and zinc plated thingamajig, the only thing you need is the tow hook bolt that COMES WITH YOUR CAR. You can find the tow hook bolt in the tool bag supplied with the car in the spare wheel compartment.

I don't even have a plate to try it out yet, since my C is only about 2 weeks young :D. I'll upload updated pics when the plate comes in.

Pic 1: Overview of the mounted bracket.
    uploadfromtaptalk1370662984741.jpg
    Pic 2: View from top angle for general design of bracket.
    uploadfromtaptalk1370663003578.jpg
    Pic 3: Side profile shot to demonstrate how much the plate would stick forward of the bumper.
    uploadfromtaptalk1370663017687.jpg

Note 1: The hardest thing to do was make the "T" section, as bending such a small piece of metal isn't easy with so little leverage. Just use a hammer and some sort of ledge to get the bends you need. My T section was 11 holes long (does that sound awkward to anyone else??). Aside from that, just bend the pieces to your desired angles to make it fit the plate.

Note 2: The included tow hook bolt did not mount exactly at the desired angle (you'll understand what I'm saying if you try it). You may need to trim some of the threaded end to get it snug at the right angle.

Update:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's really clever -- well done!

3. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! Only thing I'm worried about is possibly blocking the fog light beam, but I can probably do some fanangling to get it right if that's the case. Also, I might add some sort of rubber shroud to cover all the funky business at the tow hook eye.

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    nice. thank you for this!

5. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nice DIY.

6. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you guys end up doing this too, please post some pics! I'll keep this updated as I might modify it a bit once the plate comes in.

And for those wondering, yes, it's strong enough to with stand bending from wind resistance. That zinc plated thing is quite stiff actually.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

7. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Updated pics!

If I can be totally honest about my result, I don't actually like it as much as I thought originally. Refer to the pics above. Although one side of the plate is very close to the bumper cover, the passenger side of the plate simply sticks out way too far for my taste. It looks like it would get hit or scrape against things that otherwise would have cleared without a problem.

Does anyone know if (in CA) it's illegal to mount the license plate at an angle? I basically want to get the plate to mount as flush as possible with the curvature of the bumper, which means it would have to be at an angle. I've seen a few Lancer Evo's with the angled mount, but I don't want to jump off a bridge just because everybody else does.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Props for making your own.:cool:

I don't think so, other than height above the ground limitations and no covering, the code is pretty vague on front plates, but the CVC is online so you can check for sure. If it's clearly visible to cops and intersection city revenue enhancement cameras you should be good to go.

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In Washington State I think you'd run into this regulation:

"Body, Fender, and Bumpers - Shall be maintained without protrusions that could be hazardous to pedestrians."

I can't find a similar regulation in California, but it might still be a problem.

10. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Second update. Shifted the plate more towards the center. Still not really satisfied.

Thanks for the input regarding the legal stuff on the mount. As of now, I'm planning to just drill the bumper :(. Any tips on how to drill it properly??

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A lot of things are, technically, legal that a lot of cops don't ticket for.

Eg: Front and rear bumpers on volkswagon beetles. Most cops don't know that they come with actual chrome bumpers and when you take them off they don't care.

But when the bumper is on the car it has a rearward angle. The license plate mounts in this location. If the beetle can do it, I don't think it should be a problem for your car.

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Wasn't your bumper is already drilled with a button covering up the hole?

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's not a button.

14. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And no, it's not drilled at all. I requested for them not to drill it so I could do this tow hook project. Sadly, it's not up to my standards. Hopefully someone can still use this thread as information on how to make their own if they choose to.

15. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can contact the dealer and they generally accomodate the drilling at no charge for the factory plate location. Most likey you have the hardware, if not check your trunk space or glove box because they are requried by law to provide mounting equipment regardless of whether or not it was installed.

As for mounting front plates at an angle, the Califonia vehicle code (11713.17) does not specifially address plates mounted at an angle, but does state the below (at the bottom of my post). Back plates are a no-no as far as angles. Keep in mind that you can be pulled over for suspected vehicle code violations and subject to inspection. CA, at least in the Bay Area, is pretty lax with modifications and generally, from my experiences, you won't get cited for modifications unless you are pulled over for another violation (i.e. speeding, rolling stops, etc).

I have run vehicle exhaust exceeding db limits (I know, I know, back when I was younger), vehicle height did not meet the minimum requirements, and most currently driver/passenger windows tinted beyond 70% (I'm at 20%) with no issues. As long as you don't call unwanted attention officers will let you slide...but when you get pulled over for any reason it's pretty much game on and you either pay a lower fine (if applicable) and correct the violation or pay a higher fine, keep your mod and take your chances for future violations.

Also note once you cross state lines you are subject to that states law...even if just visiting or passing through.

"The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer. "

ftl likes this.
  16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and no... We aren't required to have a front plate here in Georgia... so if I drove to California, I wouldn't be required to have a front plate either.

17. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I should have clarified that statement a bit more; I sort of went off in my own direction on modifications in general. License plates aren't an issue, unless it becomes a residency issue. Other mods like tinted windows, again from my experiences, in states like Oregon are more of an issue. I can be in my SUV with dark tined back windows with no issues, but in a car with the same tint % they have stricter laws and can pull you over. Why a car and truck are different is beyond me....I'm still scared..haha.

ztanos likes this.
  18. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't get a ticket, but it was not fun. :cry:

19. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    CraigB, could you link me to where you got that information regarding the dealer and plates. I might just bring it back and have them do it.

Thanks for the input btw

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

20. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about your dealer but my car in SoCal already has a front license plate.