1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

license plate light comes on when any door opens? post led install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Planet Awesum, May 10, 2016.

1. Planet Awesum

Planet Awesum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    licence plate light comes on when any door opens? it fades out a little after it's shut. stays on for a minute or so. (like interior lights would if i had the door dome switch on).

any way to turn this license plate light off for this function? stays on if the hatch is open, or any door.
    i car camp a lot and crack the hatch for air. license plate light stays on.

also the lower door lights, when they are individually open. I'd like them to not come on. yes i could just remove those bulbs.

i had installed led lights on the whole car/ every bulb inside and out. even fog lights. i didn't replace the hid headlights, though I'd like to.

license plate light coming on didn't happen till i did the outside led's ( and not for a few weeks after). also had changed the blinker relay w a (much) slower one that has a dial i had found on amazon to stop hyper flash.

other than that everything's great. loving the led's. especially the back up ones i purchased. pretty much headlights for rear.

oh wait, the radio lights flash if im parked when the exterior lights are on. I don't see it now cause i turned the dimmer off completely (to side of steering wheel). yes i like it dark. If i could turn off all display lights i would. I cover the mirror odometer display at all times. touch screen display tells me when to get gas and sometimes I'll even look. i drive slow, prius style, since nobody else is paying for my gas. also it's much more fun for me to enjoy the ride slowly. im not in any rush generally.

thanks for the help and feedback

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is not normal, have you done any mods besides lite bulbs?

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    An assumption would be you have already replaced the little 12V battery at some point. The first sign of a weak battery is electrical gremlins. I would check 12V health anyway, as you might have a parasitic drain somewhere. Could be something electrical or electronic due to a circuit expecting to see regular bulb filament resistance and instead seeing a forward biased diode. Prius is funny like that.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something cross-connected?

I never tire of recollecting the time I switched the windshield washer and left turn light connectors: all was fine till I had to turn left...

R-P likes this.
  5. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I replaced all of my lights with LEDs in my 2008 with smart key system. When I walk next to the car, the amber front side markers and the red tail lights will light up very dim, not enough power to light up standard bulbs, but enough to make LEDs emit a very faint glow... If I hit the lock button on the remote, they will turn off. This behavior began when I put LEDs in. I believe that it is normal for the Prius to send some tiny current to these bulbs when you open the doors or are close to the car if SKS equipped.

bisco likes this.
  6. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 Prius does the same thing but it's my brake lights. Whenever my interior dome light would be on when set to 'Door' my brake lights light up dimly (but not my licence plate lights). Similarly, I have all my interior, parking, brake, reverse, and licence plate lights replaced with LEDs (still have stock turn signal and headlights). My battery was replaced this December, so I don't think it's related to a low battery. Pushing the lock button on my FOB turns off these lights just light as it does the door lights, so I have no problem with this behavior.

I do know that some LED replacement lights have DC to DC converters built into them. For this reason you'll sometimes see things like "Operating Voltage: 6-24V" on their specifications. My best guess is that the Prius' ECU(s) are sending a trickle of current to the LEDs and when this gets stepped up by the DC-DC converter in the LED light, it's enough to dimly light it up. I think it's basically a "hardware bug" and nothing to be worried about.

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No clue how to solve it, but I would guess there is a small leak somewhere: the switch in the door normally opens (or closes so you will) a path between the interior lights and ground. LED's can function with the tiniest of current (that might also pass through any other component, even e.g. a coil of a relay), so as mentioned above, what would never even dimly light up a normal filament bulb, will be enough to make an LED 'glow'.

I have a set of Ikea LED lights above my bed. There is a minute current going through the plastic (!!!) of the ON-OFF switch that lights a few of the 50 LEDs enough to be visible when all other lightsources are off. [unrelated to your problem] I have yet to test if the switching powersupply that came with the lights has any influence in this[/unrelated to your problem]. I opened up the switch and there is no visible other road the electrons can travel than through the plastic. As soon as I remove the metal parts that make up the switch from the plastic, the LED's go dark.
    Problem for me is that I could not properly measure my issue (iirc the resistance I measured was infinite, so they shouldn't light up!) and I am somewhat afraid you will have the same problem.

#7 R-P, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice to hear from you r-p!(y)

R-P likes this.
  9. AaronA

AaronA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if it's the same problem, but a friend had a similar problem in an old VW after he changed his tail lights. One of the tail lights was shorting and causing weird lighting issues. We replaced the lights and the issues went away. Have you tried replacing the new LED's one at a time with the old bulbs?

10. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    R-P it sounds like the issue with your bed lights is related to a capacitance or an inductance problem - Either there is some circuitry of wires close enough together that they're behaving like a poor transformer and transmitting a bit of current, or there are two metal plates that are close enough to behave like a capacitor and transmitting voltage (capacitors behave like a short with high enough frequency AC signals, also some materials which are not highly conductive can still act like capacitors, the plastic casing could behave this way). You won't be able to find this by measuring resistance.

In the car we shouldn't be seeing this problem however as it uses DC and not AC.

11. Planet Awesum

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the support! I have all my old bulbs, and my old signal switch relay. Will try the relay first, then go through bulbs soon and report back. Checked battery not to long ago on the display and it reported full functioning.

I don't have anything in my car and comprehensive insurance so keep the keys hidden inside (if not I'll just lose them. I stay in safe areas).

I noticed just now after locking from inside w hatch open for awhile that the license plate lights had gone off. Haven't been able to recreate though hmm. At least they're led and don't use much energy.

bisco likes this.
  12. Planet Awesum

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok I have just found out they do go off after sometime w hatch open, thank god. I believe it has to do w doors being locked.