1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lies and damn lies? oil change!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Aug 28, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, I've just reached time for the first oil change (7800 km), it wasn't raining, and I had time, so oil change!

Visiting the west coast. Tried to get the oil filter off (forgot my wrench), couldn't, had to go to Canadian Tire for an el crappo Quaker State wrench. Once I get the original filter off, I never need the wrench again, as I tighten the filter "PROPERLY". NOT "as tight as it will go". Anyway, got it off, new filter on, 4 litres of Mobil 1 5W30 in engine, and no leaks. ;)

So then, following the owners manual, I go to reset the maintenance interval, and it doesn't work! Come to think of it, I never saw the change oil light, which is supposed to come on at 7200 km or there about. Does the Canadian car not have it? Is the manual lying? Did I swallow the -blue- pill?

Oh, and mileage is improving already. Now up to 4.6 l/100 km, even with mostly highway driving. That's 51 MPG US and 61 MPG imperial. This is the MFD reading, and I'm actually getting better than that by calculation (distance vs fuel). Winter, of course, will destroy that real soon now.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 28 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]503479[/snapback]</div>
    I saw the Maint Reqd light come on at about 4700 miles. (Sorry, we don't use kms down this way). It was supposed to come on at 4500 miles, but I accidentally reset it when I was trying to disable reverse beep when I first got the car. It will flash on startup at first then go off, then when you are closer to the 5000 miles it will stay on.

If you were trying to turn off the reverse beep or the seatbelt warning sound, you could have inadvertently reset it.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 28 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]503479[/snapback]</div>

I don't believe the Canadian Prius has it. I have never seen any light to indicate oil change despite going over the recommended interval a few times. The only time I had to perform a reset of the light was in my cousin's Prius in Boston.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 28 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]503486[/snapback]</div>
    7,200 km ~ 4,500 miles.

8,000 km ~ 5,000 miles.