1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime Average MPG

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ShellyC, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ShellyC

ShellyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm confused again. My lifetime average MPG went down this morning while I was on electric power. It was not significant but seemed strange since I wasn't using any gas. I turned the car off and back on again which seemed to fix it (the MPG starting climbing again). I'm just curious what might have caused what seems to be a strange anomaly? Any ideas?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I search a pdf of the US 2012 Prius Plug-In Owner's Manual, I can't find the word "lifetime". Is this one of the trip meters?

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk what lifetime mpg is either, but pip does have two screens for ev/hv ratio along with the two trip meters.

i use one of the screens for lifetime and one for the tank of gas.i use one of the trip meters for the tank of gas and the other for each trip.
    no way a trip meter could go down on ev, that i have seen. there are some folks who haven't been aware that the engine is on (my wife can never tell) and shutting down and restarting puts you back in ev.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Lifetime average MPG" Maybe this?

odometer mpg.png

EDIT: Whoops. OP has PIP not PRIME. Then IDK.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, o/p is in the wrong forum. or, has a prime and we don't know?

6. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the OP' another original thread "Charge capacity", OP talks about EV range of 27-28. It must be Prime.

Did you reset ODO average MPG by holding TRIP button by mistake?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. ShellyC

ShellyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm not sure how that car got applied to my profile. I will correct. I have a 2018 Prime. Salamander King's picture is what I'm talking about. I have not reset this meter so it shows the MPG for the "lifetime" of the car. At least that is my assumption. It's called ODO average MPG? It was going down and I was in EV mode with a full charge and in traffic/motion. I was just curious since that seemed odd.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on Odometer? I don't know how often they adjust this mpg, but maybe you were driving HV on previous few days and that got calculated into the mpg for the a while you were driving on EV? Or it could be just some kind of computer bug. My understanding is that your 2018 PRIME have 999.9 mpg as limit, correct? So it it much more sensitive than my 2017 PRIME which has 199.9 as limit. In any case I have never watched ODO mileage while driving my car. I always have it on Trip B which is my in between gas mileage.

#8 Salamander_King, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you been mistreating your Prius?

Maybe it is punishing you.

I don't have a serious answer.

10. ShellyC

ShellyC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I have 2400 miles on it. No HV driving yesterday but this happened again this morning. I left a message with the service folks at the dealership to see if they can explain it. Yes, the limit appears to be 999.9 mpg. My overall average is 131.8 mpg (it was 132 when I got in it this morning).

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck with that. Most of dealer tech probably have no idea why PRIME displays such high mpg to begin with. lol

So, from ODO 131.8 mpg without doing any HV run, you get 132 mpg on display? But after running while, it comes back down to 131.8 or lower if you have extended EV run? If that is the case, maybe computer is simply rounding up the number until it received more driving data, IDK. In any case, the difference seems to be very small. If I were you, wouldn't worry about it too much. I will check my ODO mpg next time I drive on extended EV. For now, the cold temp has gotten hold of our region, I have been driving HV every morning when I first get in the car.