1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime EV Driving Ratio

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by vinhboy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took my car in to a shop and for some reason they reseted my trip meter.

I am curious if anyone knows if the PiP has a Lifetime EV Driving Ratio.

To me, it is the only useful display screen. It would really be a downer if it is only available on a per-trip basis.

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's my Lifetime since April 23, 2012

EV Driving Ratio
    EV 61%
    HV 39%
    228KWH TOTAL SO FAR
    12 GALLONS OF GAS SO FAR
    Fuel saved by charging 19.1 GALLONS
    EV MILES SO FAR 929
    HV MILES SO FAR 588
    TOTAL MILES SO FAR 1519 AS OF September 4, 2012
    Still have a full tank of gas
    Average MPG as of this date: 1519 miles/12 gallons=126.58 MPG

vinhboy likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be nice if there were some permanent records that could not be erased.

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hasn't been erased so far..........I text the latest to myself....then when I get back into my 14th floor apt. I copy the info down, just in case it's not lifetime.....How long does the display record for?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good question, but writing it down is a great idea.

6. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :D

7. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It does as long as power from the accesory (12V) battery is not disconnected. Trip meter, clock, calendar, EV/HV driving ratio, and probably a few other settings reset when the 12V battery gets disconnected, which is probably what the shop did.

Some shops plug in a 9v battery to the cigarette lighter to maintain settings such as these when removing power from the battery, but that approach has never worked on previous cars, so I did not bother when I disconnected the battery for some recent tinkering I did on my sound system. You will probably come across recommendations to attach a 12V battery charger to the battery leads to maintain such settings should you need to detach the battery to work on something in the 12v system. I don't have to explain why that is a really bad idea.

8. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you check both #1 screen and #2 screen under the EV Driving Ratio? Perhaps they just reset the one you had it on at the time?

9. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes. Checked both. Both reseted.

I guess the consensus of the thread is that there is no lifetime storage of this information.

That really blows.

I look forward to the day someone root the PiP so we can write better apps for it. ;)

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wished for an iPad dock before, but someone mentioned MirrorLink which could work for iOS and Android which would require no rooting either. Anyhow, now I wish for MirrorLink.
    Toyota MirrorLink | PriusChat

11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've mentioned this in another thread, but on my daughter's '11 hatchback, the 'trip b' odometer she was using for lifetime data reset itself at exactly 10K miles. She had her service done a few miles early, so it wasn't reset by the dealer. If this has been corrected for the PiP, we need to hear from someone who has already racked up 10K miles. Otherwise, keeping independant records might be a good idea.

12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    For the 5000 checkup, they needed to reset Trip#1 to reset the Maintenance Reminder.
    I use Trip#1 and EV#1 for test intervals and I use Trip#2 and EV#2 for Fillup data, resetting them after each Fillup.

There are No Lifetime data values that can't be reset on purpose or by mistake, that I know of.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i bet it's lurking in the black box.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    9999 is and should continue to be the max.

The reason is simple.... margin-of-error becomes greater than the variance after that many miles.

That's recommended regardless, since the display value is just an estimate. Measuring at the pump & plug is always better.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That would require the PiP to have some type of remote reporting capabilitiy, which it does not.
    However there is self-reporting data discussed in this thread, see the shared spreadsheet

PIP & MPG Spreadsheet | PriusChat

And of course Fuelly which generall works for Plug-in-Prius (but not so good for volts.. since it cannot handle/report more than 200mpg).

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the "entune" app talk to? Could a smart phone app, or entune, bridge the data from the PiP to a cloud app?

I like PriusKitty's method of sending a text message as well. Maybe take a google voice number and then write a script to read txt messages from GV and put them into the MPG spreadsheet. The sender's phone number could be mapped to their userid so that everyone could txt to the same gv number. The script could ack the incoming message with some lifetime stats for EV%, MPG, etc ... and an empty template for the next incoming message.

18. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

For those with entune it could be automated.. basically reverse engineering the phone APP and making the same call to the cars. That is what Mike did to make volt stats. But all volts have onstar for at least 3 years.. what fraction of PiP owners have Entune?

If people want to do the txt message route I could help with that. I've done a bit of txt message software hacking, this semester I'm starting to use it in my classroom for rapid feedback from students, also done it for "people choice" awards for various events.

If people here are interested I can setup a number, define a standard formatted message and then do automated processing and insert the resulting status into a webpage or script.

I could do the reply message with stats as well, though the outgoing text messages cost me money ;-), so I'd prefer to just push them into a webpage that people could review. (My time is easy to "give", and I pay for the number anyhow, but paying for the outgoing for this would probably violate some state law). I do like the idea of an empty template, so maybe when people first signup I could have it text them once (so they know the number and have the template).

What data should it collect.. Same as in the PC spreadsheet? (Or should it be adapted?)

If enough people say this is a good idea (by replying or "liking" this post) then I'll hack something together..

19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe twitter instead of txt messages ?

20. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not done much tweet processing. Not everyone has twitter on a phone.. (In my class all but 1 had txt phones, only about 60% had smart phones).