1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifetime mpg odometer malfunctioned

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pardreamer, Sep 28, 2012.

1. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My lifetime average with about 11,000 miles is 49.6mpg. However, as I was driving back home yesterday the this number suddenly goes to 51 mpg and it changes as I go up hill, down hill, or accelerate hard. With 11,000 miles used in the calculation, the mpg number shouldn't change that quickly. It changes as if I had only a 100 mile trip in the calculation. In the two images attached, the mpg dislay showed 51.7 at 11615 and then I drove uphill for a mile and at 11616 the average went to 50.0. This happens to not just the display with the lifetime miles but also with the display without the number of miles as in my car these two numbers are the same.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Attached Files:

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have seen that if you goto Fuel Consumption, then History (Past Record for HDD Nav) and touch the Update button to register a fillup on the History screen, then the MPG number shown with odometer (not trip A or B) is reset. I observe that the MPG number for trip A (I use & reset for miles per tank tracking) matches MPG number for odometer (showing total miles on vehicle). When I switch between trip A and odometer with a new tank of gas I see the MPG numbers for both fluctuate in step.

Is there another way to register fuel fillups for the History/Past Record screen of the Fuel Consuption App?

I can't find a lifetime MPG number on my Prius v that is close to my lifetime MPG number on fuelly.com

3. El Cuajinais

El Cuajinais Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bump because the lifetime MPG on my 2013 v wagon is total BS. I was planning on writing a post about this.

4. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its very sad but I also couldn't find a real lifetime MPG number on the v as well, it's a bit annoying that updating the history/ past record screen resets the MPG numbers shown with the odometer. Toyota why would you do this?

I updated after my first fillup, then after about two months (I've been using a different app on my phone to keep track) and noticed a big change between what my overall reading should have been and what was actually showing. It's currently showing 49 MPG by the odometer (since my lower mileage from the summer before the reset isn't calculated into it) but actual calculated (fuelly) is about 44 lifetime .

If anyone finds an actual lifetime MPG listing please let me know.

5. crpriusv

crpriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the warning about the effect of updating the history on the lifetime mpg number. I updated just once when my v was new, but haven't since. Now after 7000 miles the odometer average mpg is showing 46.3, which is 3.8% above the Fuelly calculated average of 44.6 mpg. I agree there should be a way to "lock " the lifetime average mpg display to the odometer mileage.

6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My base model v doesn't have navi. It only displays trip A, B, or 'current journey'. I would love to know my lifetime MPG.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Correct, if you never mess with the History screen, ever THEN it functions like a Lifetime MPG.

Just Say No.

8. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    It does display lifetime MPG. The setting where you see your total mileage should show you the average MPG. If you never reset it on the History screen (which the base model has) it will by default be your lifetime MPG

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    That ave mpg figure on my UK Prius+ resets every time I switch the car off, it just gives the average for the current journey.

10. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Makaru, I tried but it wasn't there, I could only call up the range next to the car odometer reading. The Australian version must be the same as the UK's prius + mentioned above!