1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lift Kit Options and install?

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Darien Day, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I installed the lift kit on my 2022 Prime.

IMO the $600 is a fair price.

iPhone ?

TGrracie and Darien Day like this.
  3. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is refreshing to see a suspension mod that actually makes the Prius more functional!
    Head up that gravel road! There's a great campsite up there!(y)
    I doubt you could measure any impact on MPG.

As opposed to the lowering kits that are All fashion - No function.

4. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    BTW: I highly recommend that you install the PriusOffroad product. That is the lift kit I installed as a DIY and am very impressed with the parts , support and result.

PRIUS 2016-2022 (MODEL: PRIUS PRIME)

I also posted a review and provided a few tips. Search priusOffroad and it will come up.

iPhone ?

JohnnyPR and Darien Day like this.
  5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I second the priusoffroad.com kit.
    Use code "azusa"

TGrracie, MTN and Darien Day like this.
  6. twillgo

twillgo New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone here install their own #priusoffroad lift kit? My car is a 2017 Prius Two.

I got the rear spacers on after needing to weigh down the rear end with paver blocks because raising the control arm with the spacer installed was lifting the car off the jack stands before the bolt hole would line up! However, I got them back in with numerous paver blocks loaded in the hatch to induce some compression on the springs.

Next I started working on the left front and was stymied after the sway bar's top bolt stripped out the hex end before I could get the nut off! What a silly design for a bolt. I guess I'll need to order new bolts and cut the old ones off when I try again.

I just put the car back together until I can get the parts. So, the backend is lifted while the front is stock and the left front sway bar is a bit loose at the top.

Can anyone relate to this experience?

7. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Nope, my install on a 2022 Prime went smoothly.

iPhone ?

8. RamenKing

RamenKing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Another owner with the Priusoffroad kit, and just went to tires that are a little bit bigger. So nice!

9. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  10. 2020XLEAWD

2020XLEAWD Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    $600 is high. Got mine done for $400 in LA

Darien Day likes this.
  11. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Umm.. if anyone is in So Cal, I know a place $280 for Gen 3 & 4 installation only and $340 for the Gen 2. An alignment shop is a short drive on the streets away for $70

This was my car with a lift kit and tall lift springs installed in the front. Only lift springs in the rear before adding a spring riser in the back.

These days I have almost 12" of ground clearance! PriusOverlanding.com has been changing the game and I can tell you, don't believe the hype that there are suspension issues looming when you lift higher than 1.5:

20220418_132555.jpg

#11 black_jmyntrn, Sep 29, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Darien Day likes this.
  12. JohnnyPR

JohnnyPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My friend recently acquired this Prius and he wants to lift it to make a better ground clearance. We'll check that out after installing the new brake pads and toyo tires this week.

13. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm in Vegas, but would drive to LA to get the kit installed for $280 on my '22 Prime. Care to share the info. or PM me?

14. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Playing devil's advocate here:

A phenomena often encountered during my career in federal service was the development of new systems and equipment. Multiple vendors were provided specifications and solicited to bid, from which several were funded to develop prototypes. Those prototypes were then deployed for real-world testing and, ultimately, one selected for full implementation. No sooner than the final product being on full deployment, upper echelon mucky-mucks decided major changes were needed; often radical changes that could/should have been anticipated much earlier on. This, of course, resulted in considerable (unnecessary) extra expense and effort.

Under that light, I ask why not get a more appropriate vehicle to start with? Certainly they exist, no? My (misguided?) take is that the most prominent effects of this mod would be reductions in efficiency and handling while providing portly thieves with easier access to the catalytic converter.

15. OptimalPrime

OptimalPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A good compromise is to just make a skirt of single-edged razor blades under the rocker panels to bring the cat-thief clearance back down, and make things a little more exciting for them when they try to do the limbo to get under there.

All I've done on mine is a "tire lift" to 205/65R15 and again up to 205/70R15, adding 2/3 of an inch clearance. Plus maybe another 2/3 inch from inflating to 50psi. I'm tempted to do a 30mm suspension lift, maybe 1.5 inches or 40mm. The effect on aerodynamics/mpg is immeasurably small in my experience, under 2%, maybe because of the 50psi tire inflation and reasonable speeds most of the time. I get 61mpg at 61mph, not bad for a gallon an hour. 42mpg at 84mph, 75-80mpg at 35-40mph. Anytime you get over 65mpg, things like AC usage and headwinds/crosswinds affect the mpg way more than a change in tires or ride height.

The 70 series tires are a bit squirmier, but seeing as I do go far offroad when out west, I made that compromise. But I am dropping back to 205/65R15 (I already have the replacements, I'm just waiting to get the last bit of good wear out of my current tires) which I found to have better handling than either the stock 195/65R15 or the taller 205/70R15.

Are you going to the 2022 eclipse, Paul? I'll probably view it in Texas, driving out there in the Prime to prepare everything before my family flies in.

pghyndman likes this.
  16. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We love the Prime as it is, but will be looking to replace our current tow vehicle (keeping the Prime, of course). We're hoping something interesting comes along that fits the bill, but are spoiled by the great deals the Primes gave us.

My wife has family in Texas, but we have no plans for the eclipse... I prefer narrowband Ha solar views.:)

My solar setup at NEAF. I'm the geek in the Hawaiian shirt

NEAF SSP(1).jpg

17. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Will PM, that price is just for the installation. they are located in a city called La Verne. If you have them installed, ill drive over to meet with you.

ummm.. what I don't get is when someone uses or does what they feel is what they want, or want to do... why do people say in the case of lifting a Prius, "get something more appropriate" or "why not get a Rav4".... why is what someone like me not the best for me? Just because your ability to think outside the box isn't as vast as mine.... like.. the Prius is the best option...

Darien Day likes this.
  18. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Still haven't found a place here in Vegas that will install these...

19. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i can help with that, which kit did you purchase?

20. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I haven't purchased one yet. Was trying to first find a shop that would install it, but I think I'm gonna go with the Prius Overlanding set since they're 2" lifts vs. the Prius Offroad's 1.5" lift.

#20 Darien Day, Nov 11, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2022