1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Liftback to C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by NuttyKat, Sep 24, 2014.

1. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys, Anybody out there who has stepped down in size from the liftback to a C? I know there have been a couple of threads from folks who were considering it but decided to wait. I have been driving my Prius II for 2 years and still find the car wonderful, but large for me. I am short with short legs and feel much more comfortable size-wise in my Honda Fit. Unfortunately, although a blast to drive, the Fit gas mileage is not great.

I have been reading as many threads as I can find about the liftback versus C pros and cons. Like many, my concern is the step-down in horse power and the ability to accelerate safely when merging, etc. Seems like a significant number do not find that a problem. I drive mostly city with an occasional road trips. Rarely carry passengers and not a ton of cargo. Just contemplating if the Prius C might be a good blend of small size and good mileage at some point. Since the next gen C is still a couple of years down the road, I would make the leap sooner rather than later.

I appreciated any input from folks who have made the switch. Thanks!

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a C and i love it. its my first prius, it is small and a little underpowered compared to the big brothers, but it does the job, cheaply too. Ive been on 5 hour highway trips and the C performed perfectly fine. You will adjust yourself to the time and power needed to merge on the highway.

3. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually did the opposite, had a c and "upgraded" to a liftback. I sold my c to my brother, so I still technically have access to it. Here's my experiences with them if you don't mind my "essay". I went to liftback because 2/3rds of my commute to work is on the freeway, and sometimes it was a struggle for my c to keep up with traffic (well, when everyone's going 75-80 mph, it's okay at 55-65).

The c can do freeway just fine, though passing other cars can take a while, especially during an uphill portion. It also likes to whine if you go up a steep incline. If there are wind gusts, you will feel them in the c compared to the liftback, since it's a much lighter vehicle, so more prone to that, but it's also not an everyday occurrence either. Road and wind noise is much more pronounced too, so expect to blast music if you don't want to listen to those noises.

In city driving, the c is fine too, but you'll probably have to step on the pedal a little harder than with the liftback if there are cars behind you and you don't want to tick them off with slow acceleration (if no cars immediately behind you, then go nuts driving slower for better mpg). If you can hit a bunch of green lights, that's really where the c excels, and you can generally get 65-75 mpg easily (in warm weather, drop it by about 10-15 mpg in colder weather) in those speeds if you don't have to do a lot of stop and go.

The c is much more maneuverable as well (well other than the ones that have the 16 inch wheels), so if you have tight roadways, it might be easier to get around with the c. I'm able to do a U-turn in the street in front of my house, whereas with the liftback I have to do a Y-turn.

If you practice "pulse & glide", the c can't do it very well due to it's lighter weight, so the speed drops off rather quickly when coasting compared to the liftback. It's not impossible; just don't expect it to coast as far before you have to hit the gas again.

Trunk space is extremely limited in the c with the back seats up, so keep that in mind if you have a lot of shopping to do that day.

With snow tires my c handled Wisconsin weather and snow just fine. I almost got stuck when I drove through a section of road that had about 5 inches of unplowed snow, but luckily the snow tires managed to grip and got me out of there. While I'm sure you don't see snow regularly in NC, just thought you'd like to know in case you take it up north in the winter for a trip.

Regarding passengers, while it can hold them, the c struggles more due to the extra weight. Kids will probably affect it minimally, but 4-5 adults in the c will cause it to bog down a little, especially when getting on the freeway.

Bottom line, you'll probably be fine with the c if you do a lot of city driving, which is really what it was designed for. Again, it can do freeway, but it will struggle a little bit until you reach cruising speed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the c has the eco score "mini-game", where it scores your driving efficiency based on how hard you accelerate/brake. It definitely helped train me in driving the c for better fuel economy, which made getting high mpgs in the liftback a lot easier. Best overall I remember getting was 96 out of 100. Obviously if there's traffic or you're in a rush, you don't have time to "play", but on a quieter section of road it's nice to practice using hybrid driving techniques to help you save gas.

#3 Ashlem, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    JohnToy likes this.
  4. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input, Ashlem and kingnba6. I did finally test drive a C and like the handling. Seats were comfortable for me. The interior does not bother me at all as far as hard plastic finish, etc. However, when I floored it to see how acceleration would be going from 30 up to 55 mph, it just felt dead to me compared to the liftback and the Fit. I expected that because of the engine and battery differences, but was still taken aback at how lethargic it felt. That will likely make me rethink this idea until the next gen prius C becomes reality. Still love the size and looks of it!

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i dont think the next gen C will have any power benefits. its still going to be a 1.5 not a 1.8 like the classic. i own 6 and 8 cylinder cars and ive gotten used to the slow acceleration.

6. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Stupid question: Was the C you test drove in ECO mode? While you can get the same acceleration in ECO mode as not, it still feels slower.

7. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, not a stupid question at all about ECO mode because I can't say for sure that it was not and have been wondering that myself. Am considering a second test drive to check that.

8. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When you say you floored it, did you actually push the pedal as far as it can go, all at once? When I do that, my c accelerates just fine for all but passing quickly at high speeds.

9. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a 2010 Prius lift back and now have a 2012 Prius C 4 and will soon have a Prius C 4 2014. If you do not need the extra space of the the lift back you will not not regret moving to the Prius C.

10. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Okay .......here is an update.

Went and test drove the Prius C again, being sure to check that it was not in ECO mode. Took it on back roads and punched it up to highway speed. I was prepared to have my doubts about the Prius C confirmed as far as acceleration is concerned.

Well......I LOVE THIS CAR!! Pickup was still satisfactory for me and the car was fun to drive. The liftback I have generates great appreciation, but it has never been fun to drive.

End result - I am now the happy owner of a summer rain Prius C three with the liftback awaiting its forever home on the dealer lot. Took 4 hours and left me pooped, but I am so excited about this car. It is responsive, fits my shortness, and I am averaging 55 mpg around town. Yay! Thanks for the input folks.

11. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    congrats on the purchase!

12. Super Mario

Super Mario Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The first time I test drove the C it was in ECO mode and I was not happy but then my brother noticed the ECO mode on and when I took it out of ECO mode I was happy with the response and after that I was sold :)

13. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your purchase!

I have both a C and LB, love em both, but I am glad I get to drive the C as my everyday.

The C actually to me has better acceleration while in EV or Hybrid mode(while warming up)
    The C also feels a bit more "in tune" and a bit better handling.

THe LB is a really nice upgrade, but to me always feels sluggish unless in the PWR bar.

Either way, both are great, but glad you like the C as it has its benefits.
    And yes, in the summer, 80+ mpg is always available if you try hard.
    I can get mid to upper 60's in the C when doing 25 mile trips about 80% of that highway!

I always keep both in eco mode

14. NuttyKat

NuttyKat Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am really enjoying the way the car drives. I did bump my head on the passenger top door frame when I bent over to retrieve something. :LOL:
    Don't miss the liftback one bit although I do appreciate what a nice car it is. Driving has become fun again and I may even say bye bye to the Honda Fit.

Super Mario likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

16. Quinlan00

Quinlan00 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I went from a 2010 liftback to the 2014 C, and I'm also really happy with my decision. But I've always liked small cars.

NDcowPoke and ztanos like this.