1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifted Prius vs the Australian Outback

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Benjagan91, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Benjagan91

Benjagan91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Good evening,

This is my first time posting here (long time lurker!) so hello from Australia :)

I had been planning on buying a 2nd Gen for quite some time but spent a bit extra to get the radar cruise control in the 3rd Gen. I purchased my 3rd Gen at the beginning of 2020 and ordered a TEMA 40mm lift kit from Russia shortly thereafter.

I didn't fit the lift kit until about a fortnight ago, prior to a road trip in The Outback. I also had the largest Australia legal all terrain tyres fitted at this time (205/65R15).

[​IMG]

The Outback is typically home to 200 series and 70 series Landcruiser - not the humble Prius! I got plenty of strange looks.

I'm currently editing a 7 part YouTube series together from the recent ~3600km road trip. If you search for 'Swagging With Ben' you should find the channel where the first video is already uploaded. They certainly get more interesting from day 2 onward so keep an eye out for that.

I'll continue to post updated about my Prius here but please ask me if you have any questions about my modifications etc.

Thank you :)

Ben - Australia

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see an all stocked out car, not sure if questions of modifications are in context.

#2 Grit, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  3. Benjagan91

Benjagan91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The vehicle is stock, except for the all terrain tyres (205/65R15 vs stock 195/65R15) and the 40mm TEMA 4x4 lift kit. Australian vehicle modification law and correspondingly our insurance companies are quite strict compared to the USA.

The Australian Outback is considered some of the harshest environment in the world. Many car manufacturers from around the world bring their prototypes/mules here for testing in our conditions. I thought this might be of interest to fellow Prius enthusiasts who like to test the boundaries of their vehicles.

After reading and interpreting the 'Australian Design Rules' (ADR) for myself, I contacted my insurer (RACQ) to confirm the legality of my planned mods, they told me to check with Transport Main Roads (TMR) as they'd cover what's legal in the ADR. I called them and had some further email correspondence back and forth. I hope the following helps some fellow Aussies out there:

My name and email address is redacted. I also redacted the TMR email address and all links due to the 'no links for new members' rules.