1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifter Tick - recommended Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by casterland, Jun 6, 2017.

1. casterland

casterland Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've noticed a noise that appears to be a lifter tick on my (new to me) 2007 Prius. I just changed the oil with 5w-30 synthetic and I think it's slightly more pronounced, but again, I'm still adjusting to this car.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue and/or have a recommended oil that may help with this? Any other items that I might be missing? Thanks!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The top end noise of our motor is very loud. This engine has solid lifters like a high performance motor and solids are always very loud. But if you can hear a particular lifter clicking that means one of the bucket shims is worn. Its quite a big job to replace those shims. The cams need to come out.

I use a very high quality motor oil that greatly reduces the valve noise on our engine. Its has a very good zddp package in addition to being 100% pure ester base stock. You should try 4 quarts. One of the few products you can buy for your car and actually hear and feel a difference. Its $11. a quart. I buy mine at Jegs= free shipping.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 10W30 Motor Oil

3. Jean Faudree

Jean Faudree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m looking at a 2007 with 300k miles. Has new batteries. Tires etc. Also, has a ticking lifter noise. Seller says she adds about a quart of oil every couple thousand miles. She’s asking $500. I want to buy it. What is my most inexpensive ready fix out the gate? Thanks!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for giggles contact a dealership and ask how much they'd charge? They would have a full selection of shims, and the experience.

I'll hazard a guess: $500??