1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

liftgate repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by volcano, Feb 10, 2017.

1. volcano

volcano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i have at 2008 prius that has a broken liftgate. i have used the hatch alot durning college and the plastic is brittle and is broken. i need to remove the liftgate so i can use epoxy for repairs, but i am not certian on how the liftgate comes out.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hatch handle right? That's the only non metal part

3. volcano

volcano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yes, there is some plastic parts that are broken by the holding posts.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're better off replacing the broken handle with a used part on eBay. Epoxy won't last long. Remember that is not really a pull handle, you should pull up on the metal part of the tail gate.

To remove that handle, remove the inner plastic trim on the inside on the tail gate section. Once that is removed, you'll see 4 bolts/nuts that hold the handle in place. Remove that and replace with a new part

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Akramahmad1

Akramahmad1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check this out:

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone uses the plastic part as a handle because it is handle shaped and happens to be where you hand is already applying pressure on the release switch, and in the same direction no less. I doubt that Toyota designed the tailgate so that the owner was supposed to pull up on the bottom edge of the hatch.

My guess is that the tailgate lift pistons are supposed to push the hatch open when you press the release switch. They produce less force as they get older and need a "boost" to start opening so people pull on the old- brittle - plastic "looks like a handle but isn't" until it breaks.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.