1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lifting the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PixelRogue, Dec 19, 2022.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is. Prius 2012 PIP, so posted here and ok for admin to relocate to more appropriate forum.

Going to be changing out break pads, possibly rotors - over all getting more hand on with work requiring lifting the car.

Prius is pretty low and spent time looking for a low profile bottle-jack to fit, rather than the hassle ls/storage of a bully floor jack on wheels.

In the interest of doing this ‘more proper’ like, I got rubber grips for the jack stands (to keep from damaging frame etc.) Ordered one for the jack itself as well …a round hockey puck like disk.

For this post a took a photo of the bottle-jack in position, and man alive it just fits without room to spare..probably couldn’t get a piece of corrugated cardboard between the jack head and the frame mount.

Here is the photo. Let me know the thoughts….any risk to damaging frame with a lift? Jack stands would have the deliver grips.

update - position of jack in photo is where the stand would test, however same clearance from the proper jack position towards the center of the car.

Attached Files:

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO: you'll need a steel plate between the jack and frame; otherwise you'll have a nice round div-it on your frame.
    You just need to spread the jack position over a larger surface area. Those bent steel support frames are pretty soft in the middle.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I routinely raise ours, wouldn’t put anything at the scissor jack location.

For raising the car, why not use the Owner's Manual's proscribed front and rear jack points:

upload_2022-12-19_8-15-35.png

Most any floor jack will work, and safer than bottle jack.

I'd recommend:

decent 3 ton floor jack
    3 and 6 ton safety stands (4 of each if you want to raise the whole car)
    heavy rubber wheel chocks (4)

A largish chunk of wood is handy too, something thicker than your rib cage: always push it under first.

As alluded to above, I never put safety stands at the scissor jack locations; they appear to have no reinforcement. These are the points I use:

upload_2022-12-19_8-12-42.png

I didn't do anything special with my safety stand cradles, apart from spraying them once with Plasti-Dip.

Note: I see a lot of the above is covered in the "oil change info" link in my signature. Have a look at that, for more detail regarding the steps in raising the car, in particular if you want to raise the whole car.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  4. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The second pad arrived. It adds apx 3/4” to required lift height to fit. I can gain 1”-2” with pads under the tires.

Question of if this is of value when lifting? Related, maybe it is a risk if vehicle shifts as a result of the pad while lifting?

Attached Files:

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For stability:

Robust rubber wheel chocks, tapped in fore and aft of each rear wheel (when starting to raise the front, or vice versa), with parking brace released.

But I would seriously consider floor jack, one end at a time, at the proscribed floor jack lifting points. Usually starting with the front.

6. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all the info.

For the few times I’d ever need to lift the car (had the car since 2012, never lifted yet - always had a shop doing the oil (though that might change soon)) I would only see the need to lift front or back but never both at the same time.

For the few times a jack of any kind would be needed, the floor jack seems hard to store.

Jack stands purchased are 3 ton.
    Bottle jack is a 12 ton.

Is the safety concern the quality of the jack, maybe more the fact that you are closer to the vehicle during the lifting proceeds, maybe the foot print being smaller or bottle jacks operate differently making them less safe? What floor jack would be recommended (blow mold case would help?)

Thank you for sharing the jack points. I did make the presumption the scissor jack location would be for the jacks.

Lucky to have a level cement floor from which to work.

#6 PixelRogue, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    error - delete

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Third gen front jacking point is a walk in the park, only about about 16-18” back. Fourth and second are crazy far back, in-line with front wheels IIRC. So that’s a plus. Pittsburgh 3 ton floor jack from harbour freight maybe. I’ve no experience with it but have heard good reports here.

I’ve found it tough finding good floor jacks locally of late. I’ve got a venerable Samona 3 ton, purchased for $69 CDN on a snowy Boxing Day, 2006.

Lately trying to find one (for my son), for $200 we got one, supposedly good, but almost impossible to use: handle pulled out easy, and where it went in the mechanism had powerful spring, snaps it to vertical, impossible to reinsert handle. So there sits, supporting car, no handle, a giant mouse trap. We returned that piece of crap.

still idly window shopping for jacks, stick with Samona for now. :)

anytime you want to rotate tires getting the whole car on safety stands is good. Ditto for transaxle fluid change, where car should be level.

9. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    True true… always had rotations and oil changes done at the same time by the same chain. That chain pricing skyrocketed now (not all due to covid more Ukraine) where I am seriously considering doing my own changes…something I haven’t done in maybe 20 years. Never did transaxle fluid.

I before getting the bottle jack I did look at trolley floor jacks, yet reviews all seemed fake or commercialized, or they were poor reviews showing broken handles, damaged goods, quick to rustic.. and they all were so bulky.

So lifting from the back center space, will I need a steel plate of some kind to keep from bending the frame or placing a divot in the frame from the saddle? I can think of a way to get that rubber hockey puck between the saddle and jack point, it just seems that one the car starts to lift the pressure might cause the puck to shift, no? No risk of the car falling off the saddle on its way up (regardless of bottle or trolley?)

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would not use a bottle jack, don't think they're designed for routine car lifts. They have a relatively "tippy" base compared to a floor jack, which has a much wider/stable stance. Bottle jacks are for stable stuff, say when you're repairing a saggy porch, something like that.

One of the cardinal rules of raising a car is to never get under it until it's securely settled on safety stands. Crawling under there with a bottle jack and starting to jack it up seems foolhardy.

There are decent floor jacks available. Again the one a lot of US members here have mentioned is the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh 3 ton.

Take a look for those points. The front one is a reinforced portion of the lower/front cross beam. On ours it has dimpled in slightly, from my using a variety of cradles. I now rubber at the interface, either a rubber-faced cradle I sub in, or a hockey puck. The rear is a sheet metal protrusion that comes down about 4~5", has a flat bottom face about 4" roughly round. I use similar there, either the rubber-faced cradle or hockey puck.

11. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at this diagram for the rear, it looks like the saddle needs to have direct contact w/the lifting point on the car.
    We would have rubber guards for the jack stand locations. Any protector needed here with the initial lift? Some of the rubber blocks aisles seem rather high, I'd hate the idea of the weight shifting due rubber at the saddle. One suggested a metal plate, same concern w/shifting weight.

upload_2022-12-26_13-38-48.png

Targeting next week for the job.

Recommendations on pads or (painted) rotors for a 2012 PIP (specific and/or brands?)
    How do you know if either need to be replaced w/a visual inspection?

Attached Files:

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I typically have a hockey puck contacting the rear jacking point, then some wood blocking (mainly to improve lift), and then the jack cradle. Regarding stability: place heavy rubber wheel chocks fore-and-aft of the front wheels, and you won’t have any problems.

13. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I also use jacking pads, to protect the frame/suspension from scratches.
    (y)

For one example of something similar to what Mendel mentioned, see the link below:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1U74K4MNK101D/

14. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Stability - didn't mean at the base where the wheels or jack touch the ground.... meant as it goes up in the air, the weight of the vehicle on the jack shifting one direction or another due to a rubber block between the jack saddle and the frame point?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you’re using a floor jack (with wheels) and the wheels at the opposite end are solidly chocked, you won’t have problems.

as you raise it the jack will roll forward, and the (chocked) front wheels are a hinge point.

works the same when raising the front, with rear wheels chocked and parking brake off.

16. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    @Mendel Leisk Mendel, you are such an active and detailed contributor to this forum - so appreciated.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Rotors - dealership seems to always recommend (require) machining rotors for a brake job. If doing brakes on one's own, how do you know if rotors need to be machined, or if to purchase new - or probably skip getting them resurfaced and install new.

#17 PixelRogue, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  18. Walter Veselka

Walter Veselka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are in the wrong forum, if the rotors have deep ridges they should be machined or replaced. They will normally have small shallow ridges, which is ok. Deep vs shallow is a judgment. The rotors have a minimum thickness at which point they should be replaced. This is really related to having enough mass for heat dissipation under heavy breaking to assist in preventing warping of the rotor. A general rule of thumb is replace rotors on every other pad change unless you can measure their thickness.

19. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct - the topic shifted over and the thread stayed here... maybe a few cross links to help everyone. I purchased new rotors as backup - only have the one vehicle so if I need to get a part I'm sort of dead-in-the-water once the job starts. Rounding into 71,000 miles, first time the vehicle is seeing a brake replacement.

20. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Started the job this evening... topic still on lifting.

• Lifting the rear using the lifting point a few feet from the rear passenger tire lifted the entire back, doing a great job for the rear passenger tire however remains too low for the driver back seat tire. I didn't think to measure the clearance of the jacks (presumed they were standard sizes) and it took a high left to get the jack on the right passenger side. I can barely get the jack on the left rear side...I can squeeze the jack stand to the scissors jack point, but not w/the rubber rail guard on the saddle.

• Decided to lower the jack to remove, then place plywood under the jack and re-lift to get the clearance for the rubber guard. Turns out the jack will not full retract. The jack was tested and I think it was fully primed, no air.... I did a test w/o weight for full functions and purged air... however now jack is stuck extended under the car. The car is fully resting on the right jack stand mind you. There is some room to fudge, where the hockey puck can be moved around...temped to knock it out just to get the car to lower. Note - I tried purging air while in place and no sign of excess air atm.