1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light Above Volume/Tune Knobs?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ashley7, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm starting to think I've lost my mind, but I'm hoping there's some obvious setting I've somehow missed. Ever since I got my 2019 XLE over three years ago, I've found it annoying that the volume and tune knobs were completely unlit, making them nearly impossible to see in the dark. Then suddenly, after dealership maintenance last year, there were two small rectangles of blue light at the top of both! I was surprised and pleased, and went about my life. But then, without noticing what I did, they were gone again.

So did I change something really obvious that my spouse and I are both too oblivious to find despite our combined efforts? Please help me to feel stupid, yet able to see basic controls in the dark.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there a dash lights adjustable dimmer knob left of the steering wheel around your knee area?

3. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Check your owners manual around Instrument Cluster Light Control. It might just be your Auto Headlight setting.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found a youtube for a 2020 XLE -e that shows a lot of the intotainment setup screens.
    No mention of the little blue lights above the volume and tuner knobs that I could see, but I don't even have half those setting on my 2017 Prime Plus. Anyway, you might see something this guy is talking about that may give you or your signif other and idea or two for where to look while digging into those settings options. I hope the 2020 XLE -e screens look a lot more like what you have than they look like what I have.

5. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Apologies for disappearing - shortly after I posted, my car was encased in a couple inches of ice. But I figured it out:

When the dash light dimmer is set to full brightness, as mine usually is, it disables the knob lights. It needs to be at least one click below full brightness. Once in that setting, they'll then turn on only when it's dark out. I'm not sure how that makes any logical sense, and it seems to be only those tiny knob lights that work that way, but there it is!

[​IMG]

6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Interesting. Kind of matches the manual. Who’d of figured. ;)

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Clear as mud and doesn't reference the lights I'm asking about (which are the only ones that behave differently that the rest), but thanks anyway!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Prius18_newOwner

Prius18_newOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thanks for sharing this! It does not seem intuitive at all..