1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light-bar upgrade for LE and SE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    He obviously lacks any self awareness. I wonder if he was banned from the Gen4 board so he moved over here.
    On all the forums I'm on this is the only one where the person continues to post on a board where they don't belong. It's akin to a Ford owner going over to the Chevy forum and posting crap about Chevy's
    Whatever, The Blue Tool

Preebee likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What I meant was that there is a quasi light bar on Gen 4 Prius Prime, which only lights when brakes are applied. I just noticed that there are also lower short light bars on the sides.

So, lack of light bars on Gen 5 Prius LE and Gen 5 Prius Prime SE would be a downgrade from my Gen 4 Prius Prime.

Gen 5's taillight design is pretty minimalistic and uninspiring, but the light bar on higher trims makes it more appealing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Make it so

Blackat likes this.
  4. Alan Nomoto

Alan Nomoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    LOL. I came to the chat for some tribal knowledge & community. I didn’t expect a cage fight on a Prius forum.

As for the light bar, I’m disappointed too. I’m looking for a work-around. I really question the new cars conforming to light standards.Not just my LE but Tesla’s.

I got rear-ended at 2500 miles & am firmly convinced that an extra running light (light bar) would or could have prevented the accident. I am praying my neck does not come back to haunt me years down the road. Drive safe. Pull over to text…please.

#44 Alan Nomoto, Dec 23, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    TGrracie, EnriqueDFA, Gokhan and 3 others like this.
  5. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    shucks and i was hoping there might be a chance to insert a brake light led strip behind the center plastic piece which would have been much cooler than the stock light bar.

6. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    What do you mean by opaque?

Because the back of my Canadian SE has the same colour material as the actual brake lights plastic.

7. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Canadian SE has transparent material for the sides of the brakes but the center is a bit more white/opaque and doesn't refract the light the same way. Try it with a flashlight, I also have a Canadian version.

8. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Oh I see. Interesting. Ah that's ok. I've seen a bunch of differences between ours and the US one so I was curious.

9. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    So Ive seen photos of the US XSE trim, and white bar looks exactly the same as the Canadian SE trim on the prime. From the photos the brakes light plastic has a clearer piece and the central bar is more opaque...

I really do wonder if, just like the footwells, we have the wiring but no LEDs....

It's too cold to go trying to remove clips to look in there for fear of cold plastic snapping... But maybe in the summer

10. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    stumbled on this prius xle diagram.
    the part number of the tail assembly (1) that includes the light bar is 81581-47080.
    note: there is also a difference between the le and xle third brake light harness. not certain on their differences.

[​IMG]

Lantaral and Alessandro_Ibi like this.
  11. specc

specc New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    so I have been looking into this as well. Apparently, the JDM version of is like this.

wrtboy168 likes this.
  12. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That Japanese video isn't adding lights, it's adjusting the wiring to make an already-fitted light bar light up as a brake light (presumably as well as acting as a tail light).

The switch is presumably to disable for any sort of vehicle inspection, cos possibly not a legal configuration.

wrtboy168 likes this.
  13. specc

specc New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Ah I see. From other videos, I realized that the tail light bar is always on when you have day time running lights on.

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure? Could be that's true in the US, but it's not in Europe. Here DRL are independent of the rear lights.

But the rear lights usually do come on in dim conditions due to the automatic headlights function.

15. specc

specc New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Actually I am not 100% sure, in this video it's still sort of bright. I guess he turned on his light hence the light bar is on ?

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    #56 Gokhan, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  17. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    It looks like they're upgrading from the JPN base though which is even more basic than what we get in NA.

I think what it may come down to is that the light is already in the trim piece on the upper trims?

The reflector is also different in other markets.

I saw an XSE prime here in Canada and funny enough shining my camera flash light at it, it looks to be the same opacity as what's on the Canadian SE trim.

The fact we have the wiring but not the LEDs for the footwells here too, makes me think the part difference might be whether there is a light strip or bulb already in the higher trims and not already in the one here. The only way to know for sure would be to remove it or get access to the Canada TIS repair data. Since it's clear just visually alone that the hatch trim is different here than in the US on the SE model. As far as I know the US LE model has a red reflector, we have a white one.

Mind you, I really don't care enough about the lights to spend serious money on it, otherwise I would have just gotten a higher trim. But its really an interesting thing to think about. Why they wouldn't include stuff as simple as lighting on a lower trim I also don't understand lol

Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  18. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this in the other thread but just in case: Xグレード センターテール1文字化(Z化)(トヨタ プリウス・60系)by りぐっち@カロッツェリア信徒 - みんカラ

The red lenses are HEV, the white ones are PHEV. I'm pretty sure that's worldwide and one of the ways they decided to differentiate the the Prius from the Prius Prime. The Prius is LE, XLE and XLE Limited and the Prime is SE, XSE and XSE Limited.

For the lens on the XSE Prime and SE Prime in Canada, that's interesting. When I shine a light on my SE centre bar from the outside, it doesn't seem to get reflected far, if at all, in the rest of the lens. I haven't seen any other Primes to check. If you want to make a video or take some pics, I'd be interested to see!

As for the difference, it's just bulbs and wiring missing if you check the install guide in Japanese. That and the cover being plugged but could maybe be popped out. It's for an HEV but I assume it'll be similar for the PHEV. Toyota probably wanted to differentiate between different trims to make more money and needed to find a way how. The footwell lights and bulbs for the rear bar are cheap but make a slight difference. Then you add heated seats in some countries, larger display, cooling seats, etc.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If that's the case, it should be a very easy upgrade—just buy a couple of bulbs and splice some wires to the tail-lamp connectors. Why hasn't anyone done it here then?

20. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Multiple reports of the plastic trim cracking on its own probably means nobody wants to try it and crack the trim. At least that's my reason for not taking mine apart. It's also not guaranteed you can pop the covers out on the lower trim and that the reflectors inside are present. I suspect you can pop the covers where you'd put the bulb but I also don't think the reflectors inside are the same than the higher trims. I could be wrong, and I don't have another higher model Prime on hand to check, but by using a flashlight the centre bar on my SE doesn't seem to reflect light.

If someone wants to sponsor me a replacement centre brake light, I'll give it a shot ;)

Zeromus likes this.