1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light Bulb Indicator out?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Ashuri, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Ashuri

Ashuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all

Driving tonight turn on headlights, I can see they are on but the little light bulb to indicate they are on on the display doesn't show...FUSE?...any help appreciated

2. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Same thing happened to me, been wondering abot that myself:)

SCH-I605 ?

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    there is a little tiny bulb in the dash that you can replace. pop off the plastic bezel around the speedometer. and there should be four star looking screws i believe. take those out and youll be able to remove the display. i think you can access the bulb thats blown out.

4. Boxster1971

Boxster1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Resurrecting an old thread. I've had the same problem with the headlight indicator. Started as intermittent problem of no indication when headlights turned on. Then it stopped completely so I replaced the light bulb, that tested bad. Put in a new good bulb but it still doesn't work. I've got complete set of manuals and it looks like this indicator is controlled by the Body ECU. I'm now down to checking connectors.

Mine is a 2001 and I just replaced the dash center panel and the seven light bulbs that illuminate the center console switches. Anyone else had this problem with headlight indicator on these old models and found a fix?

5. Boxster1971

Boxster1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - I found the problem. It was one of the copper traces on the ribbon wire inside the Combination Meter that powers the "Headlight On" indicator light bulb. Not sure I have made a permanent fix as it could become an intermittent problem again. Best I can tell there was a break or discontinuity in one of the copper traces feeding this bulb. I cleaned it up and kept checking it with my Ohm meter until I had continuity on that trace. I checked the part number of this ribbon wire/bulb connection piece and it is not available. Only other solution if problem continues is to replace the Combination Meter, but that is big $$$. For the moment this indicator is working again. If it quits again I'll just have to live with it. This is not a critical indicator, more a convenience item. It was just bugging me that I couldn't fix it so I kept digging from the bulb backwards until I located a problem that explains the issue.

#5 Boxster1971, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    bwilson4web likes this.