1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light Color Showdown (The Poll!): Wind Chill Pearl vs Cutting Edge? (Cast your vote!)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Dec 16, 2022.

?
  1. Cutting Edge

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Wind Chill Pearl

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The configurator is updated!

I want to get the ‘23 Prius in a light color, but can’t decide between Cutting Edge and Wind Chill Pearl.

Which would you get? Which do you think looks nicest? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Will get it with the grey interior, not black.

2. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My pick between the two would be Cutting Edge. Silver will hide dirt and any scratches/imperfections the car picks up over the years better than white. Plus, not a huge deal, but you don’t have to pay a premium for it. But personally, I am going with Guardian Gray, if the allocation gods will be so kind. (y)

TGrracie and daisy555 like this.
  3. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    I had this same dilemma. I wish we would get the yellow here, but it is what it is!

I liked the look of cutting edge in the initial release photos from mid November, but I feel like outside of the showroom floor, it will look somewhat drab on the street. It would be better for looking clean all the time, however.

I have my preorder down in white for the Prime, and after seeing the recent LA footage, I feel pretty validated in that choice. Just a bit cleaner looking, and I like the pearlescence of it.

GuyLR and daisy555 like this.
  4. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The prime is available for preorder?

5. NorthernHSD

NorthernHSD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would choose Wind Chill Pearl. Reminds me a bit Bond's white Lotus Espirit :)

6. beamsley

beamsley Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Technically no. I have my name down and my desired colour at a Toyota dealer and they issued me a blank agreement to get me into the system. They said they would call me as soon as they had more information to get my actual order in.

7. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on what you like and where you live. In snow country, white blends in too much and you might not be seen. White also looks dirty if you don't keep it always clean. In hot weather, white (or light paint) helps keep the car cooler inside. And it's easier to see it at night.

I can't help wonder if they had yellow in the reveal along with a sort-of-blue as a very subtle salute to Ukraine?

8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Windchill Pearl LE trim, $29040.

9. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE

Ah yes ive been thinking about that stuff too. Here on Long Island we do get some snow, tho not a ton. Winters can be pretty grey generally tho. Sometimes I wonder if a more exciting colored car would help.

OTOH summers are hot and im often at the beach then, white is king thst time of year.

autumn and spring, hmm seems a tie.

As ive been paying more attention at night I def noticed white cars stand out. Black, navy, theyre the worst at night. Very fashionable but damn if you forgot to turn your lights on forget it, im bumping into you lol

10. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Is that a vote for wind chill or just an acknowledgement that it costs more

11. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man you would think all "standard colors" on the new 2023 Prius would be at the same price. So enlighten me.

What is the extra cost for the Wind Chill Pearl color versus a standard color?

Is Guardian Gray considered a standard color - no extra charge?

Maybe folks are jumping the gun here regarding color cost, unless price difference is showing up on Toyota website.

Lastly, a few years back a neighbor said take you front license plate off your Mazda MX-5 and it will look way better. Well I live in Maryland but said what the heck, two plates required but once front LP removed car looked a lot cooler. Also I was never pulled over. But if Toyota is going force that Frankenstein forehead LP facade on Prius I'm putting LP on front and back. I just think it look awful by itself and a LP actually might look better than nothing.

12. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    oh, the pearlized white has always been extra cost for almost a decade as far as i remember. I think it is nice but this year they seem to be pushing the silver in most of the gallery/ad pictures. Not sure which I prefer still, but probably white for visibility, and because if i imagine getting silver i think i might feel like i missed out in the pearl white, but if i got the pearl white i dont think id feel like i missed out on the silver..at least not yet lol

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In past decade or so, owners who payed premium for Blizzard Pearl (another metallic white colour designation) had flaking issues. Toyota acknowledged the issue with other models, but not Prius. Likely just because complainants weren't aggressive enough; it was and continues to be a debacle. There's several threads on the topic here.

14. shoreview

shoreview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be open to "cutting edge" or "windchill pearl", but would prefer the white-ish pearl if given the choice. I think it will be easier on the air conditioning, and also a bit more visible to other motorists. I've noticed my "silver ice metallic" (GM "cutting edge") Chevy Sonic stays decently cool in summer except when the sun scores a direct hit on the (black) steering wheel.

By the same token I'd be reluctant to get the glass roof because I think in summer it will overheat the interior of the car when parked outside. And in this day and age with climate change, every bit of sunlight reflected away helps.

I think dark colored cars are, by and large, a bad idea. Not visible enough, winter or summer. Too hot inside in the summer. Too unforgiving of paint imperfections and impacts.

15. shoreview

shoreview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Does that mean they're charging you just the base plus the paint, no markup?

As an aside, I wish Toyota would offer an LE option package with the larger display, powered driver seat and auto headlights. There's a lot of other upsell stuff I would not want, like Softex, SmartKey, glass roof etc, 19 inch wheels. But those three features are actually very useful. I've had the auto headlights on my Chevy Sonic for eight years now but wouldn't want to be forced into a bunch of expensive and heavy fuel-economy-robbing goop to keep them in a new car.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gray is no extra charge according to Toyota's build site.

The pearl and red is $495, which is the normal charge for special colors in this class. Higher end brands will charge more, even though it is the same amount o paint.

More options and packages adds to the logistics cost. The higher margins on some of the extra goop also covers some of the cost of other features. If there was a package like you want, it may end up costing almost as much as getting the higher trim.

Your Sonic has auto headlights because GM sold it in Canada, which has a daylight running light requirement. The Prius LE likely doesn't have the photo sensor to make daylight to head light switching work. Which could be why it isn't for sale in Canada.

The LE does have auto off headlights. You could just leave them turned on all the time, and it wouldn't be much different than what you have going on in the Sonic

17. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    What I want to know is why they introduced the car with a yellow vehicle when that color isn't even available! And what a boring array of colors! I will probably go for red or cutting edge; I've had a blue Prius for 10 years, time for a change. But boy, it would look sweet in British Racing Green. Or a nice orange.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Colors is a concept Toyota USA is unfamiliar with.

19. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Wind Chill Pearl is one of the Lexus premium paints, the other being Supersonic Red. Supposedly it will look new longer than the regular paint jobs.

mikey_t likes this.
  20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pearlescent paints generally require 2 or 3 separate color coats before the clear coat.

The $495 upcharge covers the extra trips through the paint tunnel.

The Tangerine Splash Pearl on ours was the same upcharge, and that is a 3-layer. These are not thick coats of paint so it's not as if there's more armor on the metal... I don't see evidence of any additional protection.

If anything fixing chips is a pain because I have to use a 3-color process to get it to match. Of course, that kit cost more than a 1-color.

Yes, we wanted the pretty orange but really a simple gloss finish would have been great. I'm really burnt out on these metallic & pearl paints.

mountaineer likes this.