1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

light green wire for always-on 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by darelldd, Feb 23, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The gage of those wires is down-right silly! When a phone wire tap can be used on these "power" wires in a 15A circuit, you know there's a problem! I use the same gage wire for my Led modules that draw about 1A... and I think I'm cutting corners there! The good news is that unless I'm putting a dead short across these circuits (!), I'm drawing no more than an Amp or two at a time. I'd imagine that at 14A, those little wires would get plenty warm!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I too wondered with concern about the wiring guages for power feeds. I also felt this way about the speaker feeds.

15A is the fuse rating. Toyota doesn't certify the outlet to handle more than 10A though since the outlet specifies 120W (even less when you consider that you could get as much as 14V out of there. It seems Toyota oversizes the fuses some to allow for transient loads.

The console outlet is powered directly from the ACC main feed through a 15A fuse. That in turn operates a relay that energizes the dash outlet, the relay contacts being powered from constant 12V through another 15A fuse.

ACC----------->15A fuse ------> console outlet
    ........................................+
    const 12V-> 15A fuse ---->relay---->dash outlet