1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light when the back hatch is open?? Spare tire advice??

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by KimPrius3, Jun 26, 2016.

1. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a light when the back hatch is open? If so, it didn't seem very bright last night. Any suggestions?

Also, hubby thinks I need to carry around a spare tire and a jack in case I get a flat tire. He looked online for the tires that don't go flat (can't think of the name). Will the "no flat" tires effect the car?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hi kimprius4! gen 2 and 3 have a light on the inside left fender wall, w/switch. maybe led bulb would be brighter.
    i keep a donut above deck in the hatch when i'm away from home base. there is a jack under the floor or drivers seat. pick up a 3' piece of pipe to fit over the lug wretch, aka 'breaker bar'.

run flat tyres will kill your mpg's.

#2 bisco, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The light is very dull. It's to the left, on the side panel as bisco said. Doesn't come on automatically. I thought about getting one of those "stick on" LED closet lights that I saw on the shopping channel. :ROFLMAO: Whatever works.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't come on, another downgrade? i have to check mine.

some people have mounted a light strip in the hatch inside below the window. i think you can find 12v inside.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, mine is automatic. if you turn it on and shut the hatch, does it stay on?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some people have carved out the styrofoam below the deck and put a spare in there.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can get those at lowes, and it's actually a great idea, i bet the batteries last a long time.

8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My little light in the trunk area... I always have the switch in the off position, and flick it on manually. I don't think it has an "auto" setting. Now I'm curious. ( But I always just leave all the interior light switches off. )

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there isn't an auto setting, but if you leave it in the on position, mine shuts off when you close the hatch.

you don't have to worry about draining your battery like us ten 2 and 3 owners.

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure how the heat will affect the batteries, but it's worth a try. (It's an inexpensive alternative.) Those LED closet lights are pretty bright.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i needed more light, i think i would mount a couple of those hockey puck style inside the hatch door, so they would be above shining down, when the hatch is open.

ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As per Bisco, most owners of those Prii w/o spare tire but want a spare, go with a donut (small) spare. You can get a nice pouch for those to lay in there, or a few Gen4 owners are trying to mod the back to build it in. This is possible since underneath the foam on the floor in the hatch, there still is a circular indent in the underlying metal to accomodate the spare. Your floor will not be totally level but almost. As far as donut, you can order one but if you read enough posts you will see I think the appropriate Corolla spare fits, and sometime that is cheaper. Full size spare well that bigger. I like the donut spares.

bisco and Coast Cruiser like this.
  13. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just re-checked. You are correct bisco. With the switch set to "on", the light goes on & off with the hatch opening/closing. Thanks. ( I sure wish Toyota had used LED lightbulbs everywhere. I thought the other kind were obsolete by now?!)

ETP and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    especially on an energy efficient vehicle. i wonder the cost difference?

15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius Three came with the OEM donut spare tire. On top of it, is a thick foam piece with odd shaped "cut outs."
    Yes. I wouldn't mind the minimal extra cost of having all LEDs.

I really like the brake lights on the Gen3 Prius. They are BIG, long, and bright! They really get my attention. My Gen4 just has a single LED brake light bulb, and the old-fashioned blinker bulbs.

bisco likes this.
  16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    bisco likes this.
  17. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I upgraded to LEDs in the light fixture. Simple and effective.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    xliderider likes this.
  19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you do decide to put in a spare of -any- kind, DO ensure you securely fasten it down! In an accident it will become a lethal missile! There are "D" rings to hold down the full size flat tyre and wheel in most Prius, on -top- of the hatch floor. Check to see if yours has those, and if so use them and strong nylon tie downs, the ratchet type. You may be able to purchase the foam inserts for the Prius that do have a spare from the dealer. If so, ensure again you fasten the wheel in there. Stock they use a large "wing nut" to do so.
    A full size wheel won't fit in the space for the spare when so equipped, so plan accordingly. ;)

ETP and xliderider like this.
  20. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a flat tire kit if you don't have a extra spare. Why add extra weight when you have something provided from toyota already to take care of a flat tire? what would an extra tire add other than weight and all the above mentioned efforts to make sure it is securely fastened? will insurance pay in case of accident if they figure out you had an extra tire it shouldn't have been there in the first place because the manufacturer already gave you another solution?

As for the trunk light, there is one, a 5W incandescent bulb that you can turn on with the switch and that if left on when the hatch is open, it will automatically turn off when you close it (you can see that it turns off through the hatch window.
    You can surely change that wit something brighter, but only more efficient - i.e. more light for the same 5W. Do not put anything with higher rating than 5W! or it will burn plastics due to heat or wiring will be used out of spec (more current drawn). As long as whatever you put is 5W or less, you are fine. See user's manual for list of what type of lamp (socket and W rating) you can put there (it is all the way at the back in the "do-it-yourself" section, if I remember correctly).

krmcg likes this.