1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lighted Door Sill: INSTALLED!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, got the package from PC store about 5 pm but on the way out the door to dinner. home at 8 pm. thinking wont install until Saturday, but it doesnt get dark until pretty late so i figure what the heck... i see what it takes

well if you did the EV switch on the classics, this job is way easier. now i would have posted the info sooner in hopes of being first at PC to get it done (after all, missed being first 2010 owner by 2 days and only because i was out of town when my dealer called)

BUT...all my info was reset because i disconnect battery terminal according to instructions (wish i hadnt... heck messing with 12 volt DC...) and it reset everything including my tank mileage (no biggie had it recorded anyway) but also the clock. just spent a good 30 minutes dinking with every setup option i could find but cant figure out how to set it...

any help here would be nice

P.S... now that i look at the picture, maybe i should have peeled that protective plastic off first

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet!! How much did that cost?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not into gimicky lights and such but that feature is soo sweet. Everyone at PCD was in awe over the pretty Prius lighted sill plate. lol

Looks good man!

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think these could be installed in the 2nd gen Prius? I'm tempted to add a little more bling to my car. :)

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So . . .

You were able to do all of that other work and now you're having trouble resetting the clock? Sounds like a software engineer whose VCR kept blinking "12:00 am" for years!

(No. I can't help you. I did reset my clock, but I thought all of the instructions were on the screen!)

That may have been a good idea, Dave. But how difficult would it be now to undo, remove the plastic and reinstall?

Sooner? Like my post from June 4 in HTMLSpinnr's What is it with firsts? thread? Or my post from June 3 that showed these pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey, Dave: It looks great!!!!!!

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well as far as installing in a Gen 2... good question. i will take a look and see. but the sills are held in place by clips which means if not an exact fit, must find another way. also would have to trace down which is power for courtesy lights as well...

as far as cost??... $249 bought it right here at PC store

**edit**

june 3rd??... damn!! not even within a WEEK!!

7. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK. You DEFINITELY are a FIRST in buying it through the PriusChat store -- probably the first installed accessory for Gen3 purchased through the PriusChat store!!

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh really...ok then., I'LL TAKE IT!!

9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, that's not really the date. I had posted pics even before then! I think I got the sills installed in May!:D

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, and here I thought I was going to get the first thread on this. Mine arrived from PC store today as well (sans instructions, but TIS had them). I videoed the process and hopefully will have something uploadable to YouTube shortly.

Compared to the factory EV switch, this was a breeze EXCEPT in the case where the RS3200 system is installed. The harness where you tap into is disconnected from the normal location and the RS3200 harness is inserted between, and then zip-tied. The tension here made it very difficult to get the T-connectors installed and I nearly clipped a wire in the process.

Note the harness with white wires that is zip tied, I had to fish 2 wires out of that.

[​IMG]

I didn't disconnect the (-) terminal as I knew I was at worst only going to affect the light for the door. All in all, took me about an hour including the videoing and pictures.

Here's my final result:
    [​IMG]

All pictures here (Picasa): http://picasaweb.google.com/htmlspinnr/2010PriusLEDDoorSillInstall?feat=directlink

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How is this considered something for the 2010 Prius Mod thread when it is a vehicle option?

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm because not every model comes equipped with it so if you add it onto a car that does not have it then you are modifying the car. Doesn't matter if it is a factory option or not. The forum is not titled "GENIII 2010 Prius Aftermarket Modifications". :)

13. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks great, Rick. Thanks for recording the whole process!

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, most of the video is of my back so I may not have something after all. I'll see if editing can save it, but I need to fire my videographer (me). Had I positioned the camera in the car instead of over my shoulder, might have turned out better. I did take some still captures from some of the video which is included in the Picasa album.

Fortunately the install instructions do include photos.

15. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This looks sooo cool... but I have a dumb question - do they come as a set - one for driver and front passenger door? Can/would you put them on the back door sills?? Thanks!

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dumb question. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :boink:
    Nope! You'd never see me ask a REALLY dumb question. :rolleyes:
    Silly, too. :caked:

It appears Toyota thinks the front two are the only ones worthy of lighting. The sills come as a set of 4. The front two have LED lighting, while the back two are aluminum pieces to replace the black part that now exists.

2 people like this.
  17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, one package includes 4 pieces + installation "hardware" (first pic in the Picasa album shows what came in the box).

Wiring isn't easily accessible at the rear because the rear doors don't have curb lights. We're tapping into the curb light wiring (tee connectors) for the front sills. It would appear that each unit has quite a few blue LED's embedded.

In the end after looking at the parts, I question the pricing (even at $249, there's alot of margin on Toyota's side), but I'm definitely glad I installed them. Makes me want to find a way to light up the emblems front and rear, as well as some blue LED accent lighting under the car, finding a way to change floor illumination from amber LED to blue, etc. - the blue w/ the Misty Gray interior and Blizzard Pearl works very well.

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have them installed in my Blizzard Pearl as well and I have got to say they look SO classy. I really like them, and everyone who has seen the car thus far has noticed them right away.

I cannot beleive it, but 2 guys where I work who always teased me about my 2006 and continued to do so since I ordered a 2010 last September are now stunned at how good the 2010 looks.

19. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those look really good, but I have other accessories on the top of my list. But, I will definitely pick up a set in the near future.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FiveAxis modified a TCH and they made an illuminated HSD emblem (basically like the one in the door sill where the "S" lights up but it's the emblem instead).

First person to make that will get a sale from me lol (assuming s/h is reasonable and installation isn't hard.. cause it may involve drilling)