1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lightning strikes and brown outs

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Edgar Perez, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like free energy! Is there enough power there to utilize?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! That would be neat. Nope. Hardly any power.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK, well now that is a whole different animal......or can be if the transmitter and tower are there too.
    Used to be, that the electronic equipment co-located with a tower was "ground isolated" so that lightening looking for ground would go elsewhere.
    Our resident expert probably can elaborate on that......or refute it altogether.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was no electrical power anywhere within 300 yards of the radio station. The other crew was still installing the solar power panels.

I am really impressed with the depth of @ChapmanF's knowledge of grounding. It's not my specialty, but since I am an electrical engineer and have been maintaining and installing radio stations for about 17 years after 11 years in industrial electricity, I've picked up a few things along the way out of necessity. Some of it from the school of hard knocks. ;)

bisco likes this.
  5. fredonly

fredonly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I second the motion. 3 years ago, lightning struck a tree about 20 feet from our house. Despite surge protection, it damaged a boatload of electronic equipment in the house (2 A/C compressors, 3 routers, a refrigerator, projector, and A/V receiver....). If lightning is seen or expected, unplug.

benagi likes this.