1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lights and warnings and freaking out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DunRingill, Jun 8, 2017.

1. DunRingill

DunRingill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III

Can't find an illustrated picture of my 2009 Prius engine, anywhere. Trying to find oil sender unit to test the pressure. Oil light comes on occasionally and have been threatened with broken teeth from WWIII if I drive it like that. Oil is proper weight, full and clean. The amber engine light came on, too, the other day. It went off, fortunately. Any one know where inexpensive info on Prius repairs is available?

Now that I've just begun to learn the very basics of automobile repair on 30 year old cars, I have to learn how to fix computers to drive. I'm freaking out.

Honk if you love Tull--as the white sea snaps-my red oil pressure light comes on.

#1 DunRingill, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do, but you still need to check your oil regularly. jethro won't do it for you.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $15 is pretty inexpensive, and you won't find better information anywhere. techinfo.toyota.com.

Bah, you don't have to fix the computers except when it's the computers that are broken, which is almost never the case. Generally, something else in the car is broken, and the computers are jumping up and down to tell you what it is, which is a luxury the 30 year old cars never gave you.

-Chap

DunRingill likes this.
  4. DunRingill

DunRingill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Bah, you don't have to fix the computers except when it's the computers that are broken, which is almost never the case. Generally, something else in the car is broken, and the computers are jumping up and down to tell you what it is, which is a luxury the 30 year old cars never gave you."
    -Chap[/QUOTE]

I can't figure out what's going on. PEP BOYS diagnostic evaluation said oil pressure is fine and is sustained. Put new sender in. Now, engine light comes on now occasionally. And, I'm averaging 35 miles per gallon. When Armageddon was driving it, (it was her car for the past 4 years) she got 50. The only differences are I'm twice her size at 270 lbs and I'm a much better driver.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There would be more to say if you could post the diagnostic codes retrieved from the car. The computer doesn't light that light without logging codes to tell you why. There are a lot of possible reasons to be trying to guess at without that information.

-Chap