1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lights came on, car stalled, couldn't turn off. DTC reset, driving as usual. What's the next?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ruming, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    260K Gen2. Running with no problem since 220K in the past 2 years.

Lights (triangle, check engine, exclamation, not sure about VSC) came on while at a red light, kept driving for 1 km then the car stalled (luckily on a quiet street). Couldn't turn off the car for a few min. Never happened before.

Lucky again I always run Hybrid Assistant to keep battery cool with OBD reader on. So, after I was able to turn the car off, I turned it on again, read the DTC with scanner, got a bunch of codes, cleared all, and drove home (~10 miles) without problem. OBD reads clean after back home.

Panicked a bit as wife and kid in the car. Forgot to take pictures or screenshots.

Now worried if another incident is on the way. Should I check anything or just drive and wait?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hold start button down till goes off. No codes . No choice but to wait. Hybrid battery is ancient if original . If rebuilt you were on borrowed time anyway . My Gen2 got New HV battery at 250K . Never ran better 47.1 like new w now 300K. Heading to 600K. Good luck

Ruming likes this.
  3. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What's the best indicator of remaining life of HV battery, voltage?

Is rebalanced HV battery good choice or brand new recommended?

Many thanks

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Before you jump the gun into replacing a HV battery, do you remember any of the codes? Specifically P0A80, which is "replace hybrid battery". I don't recall a P0A80 code ever causing a stall, or causing the car to not turn off.

Keep in mind, a red triangle does not always mean replace the hybrid battery (regardless of what posts get spewed out every time a RTOD gets mentioned in a thread)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Next time, don't keep the bunch of codes secret from us.

6. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure

7. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, HV still looks good to me thus I asked any other indicators.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just wait it out. If it's coming it's coming. Get a new battery when time. Or if you know you're gonna be out of car in two years . Get a refurb battery.

Ruming likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It gets hot enough there to have to tweak the fan No kidding here in North Carolina never tweaked the fan always over a hundred during the summers. The hottest I've ever felt the battery maybe 108 and that's just me running my fingers across the bottom of the case where the heat seems to build up the most if it all I haven't shot it with the temp gun

10. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I try to run the fan through OBD to keep it below 39C/102F in summer as much as I can. Hope it helps.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have no idea then I would imagine the fan is running on high all the time you're driving 102 seems awfully low I mean that's 4° above human body temperature I would expect that battery would be able to be fine and 118 120° range I would think I have no idea

12. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With Hybrid Assistance on your phone and OBD reader plugged in you can set the temp to turn the fan on. When it runs at full speed you can hear it, nicely.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I understand this I just haven't been in an overheat situation yet where I've needed to have a bunch of fan on the battery and I'm just trying to figure out what people are doing or how they're doing that because I've got the heat part covered sometimes I'm traveling down in the south from North Carolina to South Carolina where it's even hotter running 75 on the highway nothing perfect air conditioner on low almost freezing us out of the car

14. Ruming

Ruming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The optimal range is 20~45°C. Above 45°C, the charge efficiency falls steeply. I try to keep it away from the upper limit, although it does exceed in hot summer afternoon. I found aircon helped a bit because the fan gets air from the cabin.