1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

like's and dislikes about the new prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Flying White Dutchman, Jan 11, 2011.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also drove into Chi town for the event. (my review is posted here). An after thought on the tray for a music player is that one will need a case for their iPod or it is going to rattle while driving in the all-plastic pocket.

As for the gas mileage, 40-42 is decent. I don't know what people here are expecting on a taller, heavier car that is meant to haul a family and also luggage. I'm happy averaging 43-45 in my gen III with two people and luggage driving highways at 65mph. When I'm alone, I can get 50. Yes, the v is going to be a notch down in mileage, but for what it is (vs. isn't) the mpg will be very very good.

I'm unhappy about the v having no real spare tire or even a donut. A step backwards IMO. I've had 3 tire issues in my first 7k miles with my 2010. Stock tire quality isn't a strong suit for Toyota.

I liked the dash overall. The nav sported real resolution vs. the standard issue gen III nav. I guess we'll all have to get used to center displays. And while I'm still waiting for my flying car, I'm also waiting for a heads-up windshield display in front of the driver too.

The staff was very good in explaining features and sharing stories behind the cars. Thanks guys!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So, now that the EPA mileage is 44 City, 40 Highway and 42 Combined, (Up about 2 MPG from early estimates) any of you like it any better?

3. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have always liked it. What I don't like is having to wait for it, and then having to wait for the avalanche of orders when they are released.

4. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My opinion of it improved. More importantly, I think having every number at 40+ will impress customers more. "40+ highway" seems to be the new standard for fuel efficiency (for cars a good bit smaller than this :p).

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why is it not regular gas?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the compression ratio is even higher than it is on the Prius....

1 person likes this.
  7. mand

mand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi
    I will not buy ANY prius model if it does not have a spare tire included. A space tire will do. It is the main reason I did not buy the higher spec prius in Australia as it does not have a spare tire.
    I am glad I made that decision as 6 months ago the tire got punctured ( cut with a large metal from a caryard) which cut the side of the tire and it had to be replaced. Lucky I had a spare tire and could still drive till it got fixed.
    NO compressor / run flat tires will replace a normal tire. I would be worried driving in the country side on a family trip with no spare tire.
    Toyota should look into this.
    The size of the prius v is good but the mpg is same as a diesel vehicle ( but less CO2 and other emissions though).
    For me a family with 2 young kids the current prius is a good size.
    Also a tow bar (removable if possible) would be good in a prius V if they want to market for families.
    Mand.

8. krelborne

krelborne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's with all the comments about a spare tire? The specs list a temporary spare tire under "STANDARD SAFETY AND SECURITY". AFAICT, this is the same as the current Prius. Am I missing something?

9. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The v I saw had a spare tire under the floor

10. mand

mand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was replying to the above comment by DavidA "I'm unhappy about the v having no real spare tire or even a donut. A step backwards IMO. I've had 3 tire issues in my first 7k miles with my 2010. Stock tire quality isn't a strong suit for Toyota."

Looks like the US model will have a spare tire.
    Unsure if the Australian model will get it or not.
    We'll know as the car is on display at the Melbourne motor show next month.

Mand.

11. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It will? The Toyota guy at the v demo day didn't think so; but I sure hope you're right. When I sell my GenIII for a GenIV PHEV, it had better have a real spare or I'll have to buy one and carry the SOB somewhere inside.

12. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The US model will have a standard spare tire. I cannot comment on the Australian version.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

13. mand

mand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1= My recent visit to US this year I was happy to see a lot of prius in LA / Sandiego. I saw a Honda civic hybrid with a towbar driving in the slow lane on the drive from LA to Vegas ( the very long stretch of straight road near the border where they have an extra lane for trucks and slow vehicles).
    THE PRIUS V should have a tow bar (partly removable to reduce wt) if it is going to market it for families. I cannot use my current prius gen 3 for carrying kids bikes and hence have to use wife's guzzler.
    In Australia small cars like the golf / Hyudai i30 have towbars to carry bikes or a small trailer ( gardening stuff etc).
    2= Has anyone commented on the rear view in the new prius v. I love the current prius which has an excellent rear view at the back. Can see kids at the back and less chances of running over them ( fatalities do happen here in Australia from time to time but usually with 4 wheel drives / SUV's in the garage or driveway).
    Mand

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was very skeptical of the V when we first started talking about it here at PC but after the thorough review by Russell and Danny, my opinion has changed. I think it is a rather amazing car. To pull off all the extra room and features yet still get over 40mpg is a real achievement. I'm note in the market for a larger car or I would seriously consider it. Instead, I am waiting to see if the Prius c will get 60mpg. If it doesn't then I'll wait for a Prius model that does. My 2005 is still running strong at 136,000 miles so I'm in no rush.

I will be recommending the v to my friends.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

there is no way C can get 60 mpg.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be interesting to see what it ends up rating. It is smaller and much lighter than the Prius and although the cd might not be as good due to the short body length, if they decide to install a smaller engine (the one with much increased efficiency they have been talking about) then that could make up for the higher cd and really boost mileage above that of the Prius. Time will tell though. My 60mpg dream may be overachieving but I believe in Toyota.

17. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not believe the PHEV will a spare tire because the space will be used for the extra battery packs. From what I've read here on PC the PHEV will have the fix-a-flat spray car.

18. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The rear deck on the PHEV test Prii is only 2" higher than the standard config. Plenty of room to strap a spare donut atop it and behind the rear seats for a long trip for peace of mind. But correct in there's no lower hidden space for a donut as in the regular GenIII versions.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Standard as in full-size or standard as in standard equipment?

Why not? Stuff a 1.5 litre with current HSD upgrades in a car slightly lighter than the Gen 2 (say.. Gen 1 weight) and I think it's possible.