1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Likes and dislikes afetr 6 months with a v3

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mikefocke, Apr 14, 2013.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Things I like and dislike about my Prius v3

1. It’s a wagon and has gobs of trunk room. 6 foot Xmas tree, check. 3 months of groceries and house supplies from Costco, check.
    2. It gets very very close to the EPA MPG figures and I don’t have to do anything funny to get there. I just drive it, I don’t hypermile or pulse-glide. I respect the other drivers on the road.
    3. The clarity of the instrument dials.
    4. The wonderful amount of cup holders for the front seat -3!
    5. The two glove boxes, door cubbies, center console size.
    6. The way the console is cut away near the dash so the knee can splay over that area. Makes perfect Kleenex box place during pine pollen season.
    7. The 2 hidden compartments under the rear trunk area. Perfect to hide a few golf clubs to use on the range.
    8. The hidden mag wheels behind the hideous hubcaps.
    9. The easy to change clock time setting buttons. Trivial and obvious.
    10. Bluetooth and making a hands-free phone call.
    11. Easy destination entry on the GPS. Interface seems very logical and easy to use in contrast to the one on the 2011 Avalon my wife has which I’d almost pay to have removed. (And I’ve been using computers for 40+ years!)
    12. The reclining and sliding rear seats.
    13. Rear seats that can fold down and not force the front seats to be moved forward.
    14. The armrest in the back seat keeps the grandkids away from each other.
    15. Heat is distributed to the back passengers.
    16. That I can get the “factory” Softex as a “dealer installed option” on any trim level.
    17. That the radio displays the genre of radio station in addition to call letters and frequency.
    18. The clarity and display of the heating controls settings.
    19. That it doesn’t waste display space with a tachometer. That it doesn’t have a speedometer with a 160 MPH limit like so many other cars (the useful area of such a dial is so small as to be useless).

Dislikes

1. Noise level. The single weather stripping around the doors and hatch seem marginal and there is little sound deadening seemingly used. Every stone thrown up against the wheel wells comes through to the cabin. My old ears need all the help they can get.
    2. The center placement of the instrument dials. Quirky styling element but they sell enough LHD and RHD to differentiate and put the gauges in front of you.
    3. The lack of standard LED DRLs.
    4. That it isn’t made in the US of more US made parts.
    5. The unlighted shift knob.
    6. The placement of the PWR, ECO, EV buttons so near a cup holder exposes them to spills.
    7. The lack of side mirror turn signals.
    8. The lack of survival when offset crash testing
    9. The lack of standard mud-guards.
    10. The heating system low amount of air flow to the feet with the fan on less noisy settings and direction set to only feet.
    11. The lockout of some GPS functions when moving. My navigator controls the GPS on long trips and it is perfectly safe for her to change settings while underway. I do understand the need for drivers not to use it at speed.
    12. The backup buzzer duration (reset at the dealers now to only one beep).
    13. The seatbelt buzzer duration (can be reset at the dealers)
    14. The limited number of directions in which the front seats can be adjusted. The inability to slant the seat bottom up in the front in particular.
    15. The comfort of the seats.
    16. The useless card holder to the left of the steering wheel. Make it an area capable of storing change, a pack of breath mints, etc.
    17. That the trunk area with rear seats folded down is not perfectly flat.
    18. The amount of road dirt collected on the door sills.
    19. The amount of road dirt collected on the rear trunk spoiler, hatch and bumper. Sure shows on a white car
    20. The fabric used on the 3 trim level (see likes).
    21. The lack of mud guards on the wheel wells front and back. I worry about stones creating rust spots.
    22. The SET & SWT “distributor options” which aren’t options and are vastly over-priced. (Go to Maryland and see the price difference.)
    23. The dealer administrative fee. $599 is ridiculous. (Go to Maryland and see the price difference.)
    24. The lack of a true ‘seek - scan the dial and present each station for 5 seconds and go on to the next station” on the audio system. Having to touch a button to move between stations is poor as is the placement of the button to do it is very far from the driver.
    25. I’d like a more squared off steering wheel bottom.

Glad I bought it, heck yes. No car is perfect.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Not perfectly flat
    [​IMG]

3. richb06092

richb06092 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #8 under dislikes is always an attention getter.

4. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The GPS is horrible and the seats aren't very comfortable during longer drives...and did I mention the GPS is horrible !!!

5. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the market for a new car and the v is at the top of my list. What exactly is wrong with the gps? Is it outdated maps? Is the model three worth it?

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The GPS on the lower models is very basic, low image quality and not many options but its functional. The GPS on the upper model is decent IMO but I am not a GPS guru so I don't compare it to the newest tech from Garmin like some here do. If its easy to read and use then I am happy. IMO buy the model with the options you want other than GPS and you'll be happy. Don't upgrade just for the GPS as it is not worth it unless you just don't like cords. On the other hand, Pandora in the dash is nice. :)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not pay any extra for the GPS. Compared to Gen 2, I cannot calibrate my estimated times of arrival, the arrows show turns the voice does not announce, the odd color choices make it hard to read street names, and it is awkward to to save your current location as a future destination.

8. DCinPSL

DCinPSL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I love the GPS. It works perfectly and it is very clear. Bets the heck out of suctioncupping a garmin to my window all the time and then making sure I take it down and hide it so it doesn't get ripped off. Plus I always hated those suction cup circles left on my windows all the time.

parnami and F8L like this.
  9. Bill_Kelly

Bill_Kelly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I prefer the Toyota GPS to the Garmin. Has been more accurate, better turn directions.

DCinPSL likes this.
  10. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You forgot to add Dislike:
    #26. Luck of sun visor extension

11. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with Jimbo on not paying extra for the Toyota Nav. I got a v2 and put the money towards aftermarket heated leather seats and a 3M Clear front end mask. I really like my Garmin GPS.

Weird.....All of the sudden I have a craving for cheesecake.....

12. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I hate Toyota's GPS. My wife can't use it while I'm driving (this may be a good thing). And when I give it voice commands, the "voice lady" usually takes me to a destination out of state, or tells me that she doesn't understand me. Pretty much the same thing my wife says to me all the time. Don't need a GPS that's sarcastic and feels like I'm married to it.

Bob-blehead and PLSPUSH like this.
  13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Talk to Siri lately?

14. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a prospective buyer (test driving tomorrow) and hopeful that entune will be updated in the future to allow better iOS integration. Either that or maybe there is a hack/jailbreak to just "airplay/mirror" the iOS maps app onto the Prius screen.

15. mhendrixcap

mhendrixcap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    #5 Dislike- My shift knob is lighted at night. Granted the whole thing doesn't light up like a christmas tree, but it lights up enough.

#16 Dislike- I agree. The card holder thing is a waste. Should have put a coin holder, or perhaps another cup holder!

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't find the routing functionality of the Garmin 1490LMT (passed around for use in other vehicles) and the Toyota embedded to differ much, other than, obviously the Garmin's much smaller 5" touch screen. Both have in-motion lockouts; neither has accurate traffic congestion/delay data.

17. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So is there any lighting that shows where the shift lever is in your v? I've never seen it, others say theirs is lit at night.

18. mhendrixcap

mhendrixcap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Mines lights up around the actual shifting, not the shifter itself. It lights up green.

19. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess the lighting I'm expecting/wanting is in the knob itself lighting the PNR indications on the knob and also indicating where the knob is. Yes I can look at the dash but I'm used to stick shifts and shifting from memory and the pattern of the Prius is so different from any other car ... going from a 3 on the floor or column to all sorts of knobs in-between the seats and even dash mounts like the CRV had. I'm gonna have to look for the green glow around the base of the knob, maybe mine isn't working or I just didn't notice it.

20. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

#16 Dislike- I agree. The card holder thing is a waste. Should have put a coin holder, or perhaps another cup holder![/quote]
    it fits my insurance card perfectly so I like it