1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Limit phone bluetooth range?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by minkus, Dec 6, 2014.

1. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone know of a creative way to limit the range of the bluetooth connection between my phone and the stereo?

I have my phone paired so I can talk using the car's mic and speakers, but if I leave the car running while I go in the house/a store/etc. quickly and make/receive a phone call in range of the bluetooth connection, the audio goes through the car, which leaves me confused for about 10 seconds until I realize why I don't hear anything.

It's not a huge inconvenience, but I figured I'd ask. Ideally I'd like the signal to form as tight a "bubble" around the car as possible.

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i dont think its possible. If it was possible, i think you would also be reducing the call phone reception in the vehicle too.

3. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking of some sort of a cover on whatever emits the bluetooth signal in the car, not a modification on the phone. The only phone modification thing I can think of is to use something like Tasker to disable a specific bluetooth connection when my location is at home, but that would bring up as many inconveniences as it solves.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be possible within the firmware that controls the Bluetooth link, by adjusting the maximum allowed transmit power.

But I believe that most consumer products do not give regular customers access to these controls.

5. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bluetooth reception and phone call reception are two ENTIRELY different things.
    But you are right in that any attempt to limit the range of one might affect both.......and your radio and sat reception too.

6. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i know they are two different things but when you try to limit any type of waves in the air, everything else will also get disrupted.

If you have driven a car with cheap tint about 10 years ago, you would have realized that the cheap tint caused your reception on your phone to suffer.