1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Limo Tint?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by oil_burner, Feb 27, 2017.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was wondering if anyone had 5% aka limo tint installed in their car?

I want to do the rear glass and rear sides in as dark as possible. The reason is I am going to be doing some car camping and sleeping in the back of my prius, and I don't want anyone to be able to see me in the back seat. I will use a curtain to seperate the front seats, no problems there. What I'm concerned about is if I have limo tint and for example I'm in the back seat watching a movie at night, the light from my laptop screen will light up the inside of the car and be very visible outside.

Any suggestions? I am not concerned about the visibility, when parking I could just roll the windows down, and I plan to leave the front and windshield clear.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you get a ticket for too dark tint, its really difficult to remove the tint. you might want to rig some shades or simply cut out some cardboard to block the windows.

4. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There is a electric tint can get dark to light ... Do you have it in USA ??

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    not that I know of, but if it didn't cost a small fortune it would be way cool.

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    #6 JimboPalmer, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    ♡myPeeus likes this.
  7. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @JimboPalmer curious about your tint brand you have shared. When viewing from the inside of the car will it give a darker view at night or cloudy days? Reason I ask is 08' s have a blind spot from the design of the interior and tinting is something I want to do but hesitant with the safety while driving. I wanted to tint dark like oil_burner but realized how much this became a safety issue rather a privacy one.

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes i had cheap tint applied, as it was my work car so i wss not out much at night. When i was, it was no problem as i was legal in MS, 30% allowed through. It cooled the car

9. DanGiant

DanGiant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1489805055040.jpg 1489805063867.jpg
    Limo tint on all rear windows, 35% on drivers and passengers front windows, and a limo tint eyebrow.
    I did the research and asked the Washington State patrol to make sure it was legal. I ordered the black box window tint, Lazer precut film from eBay. It has been on for over a year now and I love it.

10. DanGiant

DanGiant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the upside down pictures. I am new to posting pictures.

11. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the tiny window panes that are in front of the front windows and behind the rear windows tinted to 5%. If you have a laptop on, someone will still be able to see it through the window at night.

The rest of my windows are tinted to 35% to be legal in my state. When I sleep in my Prius I use cardboard pieces that I cut to fit my windows covered with black felt. They're sized so I just need to push them into the windows. With these on and a sunshield on the front window, you can't see in the car at night, and it just looks like my windows are darkly tinted if you look closely. I'd recommend using a similar system and then tinting to the max legal amount allowed by your state. With a tint on the windows, it's really hard to tell there are curtains or anything behind the tint if the material is black.

12. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I know 35% is the law. I too am from Washington State. The state troopers have a tool to measure the tint. Usually people do 20% on the rear window and 35% on all the other windows hoping that they will check only the side windows and not the back window. This means only 35% of visible light passes through, the rest is blocked. Limo Tint is somewhere around 10%

13. ex-VAG

ex-VAG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hey Kevin, this is what I'm trying to do with mine, how did you do the tint, did you take the windows out? Or are they easy to do in situ with a lot of patience? I've looked for instructions on how to remove them but couldn't find any :-(

14. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I flipped over Dan's picture. Nice looking tint. image.jpg

#14 ePWR, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    DanGiant likes this.
  15. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You never have to take the windows out to tint. You just clean the windows really well and then apply the tint from the inside (watch lots of tutorials on youtube prior to attempting!). I bought a pre-cut kit off of ebay to tint my windows, to remove cutting steps which are really easy to mess up if you just buy a roll of tint. Following online tutorials, I was able to tint all of my windows successfully with no prior experience, except the large top trunk window. For it, I didn't shrink it properly, so I ended up with creases, and had to abandon it and throw that tint away. I just used pre-cut tints off ebay, a blow dryer, and a tint tool kit (paid ~$20 off amazon). You have a high chance of being able to tint everything yourself if you're good with tools, except the top rear trunk window. For that you really need to have good prior tinting experience and know how to perfectly shrink the tint. The size and amount of curvature of each window significantly affect the difficulty of getting the tint right.

For me I still saved a lot of money doing it myself, even though I needed to take my car to a shop just to get the rear window done.

ex-VAG likes this.
  16. ex-VAG

ex-VAG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks for the reply Kevin. I have indeed got my hands on some pre-cut tint, I'll order the tools now and give it a bash, apart from the boot/trunk window, might see if I can outsource that bit.

Cheers

17. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck! I recommend starting with the small windows first and then learn from your mistakes and improve as you do the larger windows.

DanGiant likes this.