1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Linear Solenoid Valve Calibration FAIL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mark Nadler, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Mark Nadler

Mark Nadler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A little background, 2010 Prius with 217,000 miles

About 2 months ago the skid control, ABS & brake lights came on, I read the code C1391, and was able to reset temporarily until it would come back. My VIN didn't fall into one of the three ranges of VIN's that would qualify me for the recall of the Actuator/Accumulator.

I bought a used Actuator/Accumulator off eBay, and installed it without issue, but as I was going through the bleeding utility on TS, I kept losing communication with the car. I determined it was the 12V battery getting too low, and I resolved this by jumping my prius with my brothers running prius, keeping the voltage at 13.75. We were able to get through everything, but never was able to do the Linear Solenoid Valve Calibration successfully. I used the reset utility in the ABS section of TS, but always got the codes C1345 & C1368.

I then brought the prius to the local dealer, not telling them what I had done to this point, and he let me know that it needed "the electric hydraulic brake pump" and the parts and labor would be $2,200. I assumed the eBay Actuator/Accumulator was bad, and purchased a brand new one. After a quick changeout of the Actuator/Accumulator (since I was a pro with it by this time-and my brother 3D printed a 10mm nut spinner for the tough nut in the back), we did the bleeding routine but cannot get the Linear Solenoid Valve Calibration successfully done.

I am at a loss as to how to get past this, I have trolled all the postings for this issue, and I believe I have changed the part needed, and don't want to just start firing the parts cannon at it. I was wondering where the Linear Solenoid Valve actually resides? Is it part of the "master cylinder assembly"?

Please help!!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you replaced the used accumulator that drove over to the dealership just fine without any lights on or anything and the dealer tells you that you needed a new accumulator pump assembly or whatever and it would be $2,200 and you ran out and brought a new one wow that's interesting. I don't think I would have gone that route with no lights on in the brakes working fine My accumulator's bad yeah okay. That almost seems nonsensical but cool and so then after the new however many dollars the new part was you still have the same thing which makes sense the dealer was wrong obviously. And I don't know where this linear sensor is I'll have to go look on the parts diagram like everybody else I see nobody's quick to say where it is.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The linear solenoid valve calibration is one of the steps the repair manual says to perform after replacing an accumulator (at least in the Gen 2). There are also Gen 2s that get a linear solenoid valve calibration forgotten code, (like a 2008 I currently own) and if the calibration procedure will not work, the troubleshooting guide states that accumulator replacement is required.

So, he replaced a failed accumulator with a used one and wasn't able to complete the calibration successfully. Apparently, the dealer wasn't able to complete it either, which is likely why they said it needed a new accumulator. I'm sure he had codes and alarm lights. He didn't drive it to the dealer with no warning lights. I read through a lot of postings about this code and there were a few things mentioned that can throw it off, like parking brake position. I don't recall everything exactly. So far, I've just lived with driving the car the way it is. The only problem I've experienced is the brakes are a bit grabby below 5-10mph. I just haven't had the time to swap it out.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it's a Gen 3, it has two linear solenoid valves, SLA and SLR. They are both internal to the brake actuator.

[​IMG]

Mark Nadler likes this.
  6. Mark Nadler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I brought it to the dealer, it still had the linear solenoid calibration undone code, so the skid control, ABS and brake lights were on(no regen braking). I was hoping they would be able to get through the calibration. I don't know if they even tried, as I didn't tell them I replaced the pump.

7. Mark Nadler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We followed the instructions to the "T", Ig on, steering wheel strait, parking brake off, It goes through all the sounds activating all the calipers individually, but then never seems to finish. We have been wondering if there was that one thing like the parking brake or steering wheel that we didn't do right.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well kick Azz. So he's been through two break actuators one he bought on eBay that I guess was working fine and had no lights and then as you see in the text the dealer told him it was bad and he needed to do something and I guess went out and bought I don't know brand new aftermarket supplied have no clue and I guess in both of those he couldn't set this sensor

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The linear solenoids are valves. Some solenoid valves are built to just be open or closed, but linear ones are made so you can modulate the electric current to the valve, and that modulates how open the valve is.

When the ECU is going through its linear solenoid learning procedure, it is sending different amounts of current to the valves, making different rates of brake pressure change (you can hear this, while the procedure is running), observing the result on the pressure sensors, and learning what electric currents it should use in the future to make what pressure change rates.

10. Mark Nadler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There aren’t aftermarket units available. It’s an oem Toyota part.

11. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2 actuator accumulators where changed. First one was from eBay and the second one from Olathe Toyota.
    The lineir valve offset didn't take with the first one or the second brand new one.

12. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tried the learning again. Just like before it didn't take. The instructions say that the lights should stop flashing and when completed flash again. We've never seen that happen and we've waited quite a while after the screen counted down. Has anyone seen the process finish? I'm wondering if the instructions are just wrong a little bit. Even after the countdown the pump does a few more cycles so maybe (I hope) we're doing something wrong.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So now are there brake lights ABS traction control lights any lights on on the dash constantly or flashing or what's happening I'm just trying to get an idea what's going to go on because I'm sure my Gen 3 will fail at some point and I want to know kind of what to expect I know about the park business Toyota only new I bought one from JDM imports in New Jersey they're like 150 bucks and they have plenty so I'm going to guess the eBay one may have not have been bad.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I replaced this in my Gen 2 and didn't do any calibration then bled the brakes without tech stream . All works perfectly no lights nothing.

16. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Iirc the brake, traction control, and slip warning lights go solid on when the pump fails. Plus the brakes revert to old school hydraulic and the regen no longer works. I have a 14' gen 3 and wonder when it's my turn though I have much lower mileage than my brother.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But now you have none of those lights or something's flashing because of this recalibration you can't do or it won't complete. Or it gives you a code for this and a check engine light or ABS code or something like that?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What was changed exactly? "Actuator accumulator" isn't a thing in Gen 3. They are separate: the actuator is the upper thing here, the accumulator is the lower thing. Which was changed?

The linear solenoids are in the actuator—the upper thing.

[​IMG]

19. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The freaking names change across the different models. We changed the lower thing pump and the nitrogen filled canister. I'm pretty sure the microfiche from Olathe called it actuator accumulator (pump and nitrogen filled tank). I think there's a thread or two on here talking about the naming conventions. It doesn't help these threads.

20. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Three solid lights, slippery road, BRAKE, and the one that looks like a tire with clamping brake shoes around it.
    During the learning process they are a little different and it's described in tech stream. Look at the bad screen picture I took. We have never seen the lights blink signaling it's done

Attached Files: