1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Link between limp mode (turtle symbol), hybrid system warning light?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by peripatetic pri, Mar 19, 2018.

1. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My limp mode light (turlte) has gone on 5x: all when leaving parking spaces (most when backing. up), and 2x during very hot weather, in my 2001 prius, 119k miles.

Read following in EV news:

""As uncovered by engineer testing, the NHW10 Prius was vulnerable to reduced performance in hotter climates and at higher altitudes; as a result, early examples featured an instrument-panel indicator warning should the hybrid system be in danger of shutting down. This gauge, designed in the shape of a turtle, was used until 1999.""

Wondering whether anyone has found a link between limp mode (turtle symbol) and hybrid system warning light, as the last 2x in limp mode no problems could be found (in 1 instance the dealer merely switched around spark plugs back and forth between coils but limp mode symbol had left by the time I got there; in next instance limp mode just stopped quickly on own).

Have now driven about 150 miles over nearly 2 weeks after triangle of death (hybrid system warning light) with perfect performance.