1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

List of Brake Actuator Assembly Issue List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drunkin master, May 11, 2012.

1. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ALL OWNERS W/ Brake Actuator Assembly Failure for all Prius'

Hello Priuschat members,

I am a Gen 3 owner who has a concern for all of us.

I already know of the past threads on this issue and am looking to create a list of all Prius owners who have had this issue and also owners who are having similar issues.

Codes: C1246 & C1380
    Brake Switch Circuit and Master Cyl. Pressure Circuit.
    Dealer states I need a $3000 Service done to the Prii
    Part: Brake booster actuator assembly.

Main problem:
    1. Brake is barking, squeaking and knocking at the wheels.
    2. Dash showing brake, ABS & Slip indicator lights

Other issues:
    1. Hybrid battery is pushing power to the wheel at a complete stop
    2. Brake charging is not working

This may happen intermittently. Brake may have zero resistance.

There is a TSB out for the 2004-2007 Prius' but only states it is covered under the 36k miles warranty. I don't know what contributes a TSB to be released but in to my knowledge and bulletin issued is usually for an on going issue that as occurred many times.

Please if you have experienced any of these issues put yourself down on the list. Including your first name & year of your Prii.
    I will be sharing this information to Toyota Corporate in Torrance once we can get as many people involved.

I don't want to have to pay for a $3000 brake job for a part that is clearly defective or has shown issues in the past.

I hope that we can pull together in helping all of the people with this problem and all future Prius owners as well.

2. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ** I would also like to see how many have paid for this service along with any assistance you have gotten from Toyota **

List:

1. Drunkin Master: James (2010 Prius II)

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I had this issue a few years back in my 2004 Prius, but a simple brake bleed by my dealer to get the air bubbles out fixed it. The actuator did not need to be replaced.

JeffD

4. drunkin master

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had my car in for service three times before I got all the lights on the dash.
    Never once did the service department mention a brake bleed nor did they even advise of this option. Funny thing is on the Gen 2 there is a bulletin out to replace the actuator.
    They know whats wrong or at least what is defective. IMO

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  6. Austre

Austre Junior Member

7. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    List:

1. Drunkin Master: James (2010 Prius II)
    2.Austre (2007 Prius II)
    3. Tampaite(2007 Prius II)

CODES:
    C1256 - Accumulator Low Pressure
    C1391 - Abnormal Leak of ACC Press.

ISSUE:
    BRAKE, BRAKE LIGHT WARNING, ABS and VSC lights ON

Price quotes by toyota dealer to replace ABS Actuator is a little over $2500. Am still on the fence as Prius is still drivable.

I called Toyota Customer Care but no help. Their number is: 800-331-4331

8. Prius 2012

Prius 2012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. PurcellvillePinball

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While driving to work, my Brake Light, ((*)), VCS, and ABS light went on. I took it to my local repair shop that is certified with Toyota and Prius.

The code is C1391. Trace to internal leakage of brake actuator assembly. Toyota needs to replace & reprogram.

The shop told me I need to replace the Brake Actuator. The local dealers quoted me $2600 ($1700 part and 6 hours of labor.)

My car is a 2006 with 213,000 miles.

I read the posts that showed the ZG1 Warranty Enhancement Notification. So if the brake actuator needs to be replaced, this enhancement should cover it 100%.This enhancement is in effect with unlimited mileage until 12/2017. I did call Toyota Care and they said if the brake actuator needs to be replaced, it should be covered.

I am optimistic that it will be covered. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Michael

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be covered and I don't think you're missing anything. If your "local repair shop that is certified with Toyota and Prius" can't do it under warranty, then take it to a genuine Toyota Service Center, to have the work done.

PurcellvillePinball likes this.
  11. PurcellvillePinball

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks. It is scheduled to go in to Miller Toyota on Saturday and the part will need to be ordered once the do (re-do) the diagnostic. (I have a dealer 10 miles away and I do everything to avoid them sadly and drive 40 miles to Miller Toyota.)

It would be nice if the dealer reminded me that it may be covered. Either they really don't know or they don't want to divulge the information unless you ask.

I really love my 10.5 year old car. I know I'll buy another Prius but I want to keep this as long as it will perform.

Thanks
    Michael

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say they were mostly not aware, as I understand doing warranty work is good for their business.

#12 dolj, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  13. PurcellvillePinball

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2006 Prius with 213,000 was repaired today under the brake actuator warranty at Miller Toyota. It only cost $39.80 for a 4 day rental. I could have tried to ask Toyota Care to cover this but I am quite happy to not bother. I got to rent a 2016 Prius 2 so I can see some of the new features. Now onto 300,000 miles....

bisco and Rph74 like this.
  14. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you receive a letter regarding the enhanced warranty on the brake actuator? Or is simply mentioning it good enough? I bought my 2006 Prius 3 years ago, and it has never been to the dealer. I perform all of my own maintanence, so I'm not on their radar.

I have seen posts with pics of their letter is why I am asking.

Thanks!

Chris

15. PurcellvillePinball

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I did receive the letter. You should call Toyota Care at 800-331-4331. Ensure you are associated with the VIN of the vehicle.

Details of the repair experience (and other details)
    * Over the weekend of 11/12 and 11/13, my car was making very loud sounds. Not just the normal sounds after you turn off the car. Much louder and longer. It sounded like air was being released from a balloon when you pull the opening so it makes a sound.
    * On Monday, 11/14 I was driving to work on cruise control doing 70mph. The car dang and the Brake light, ((!)), ABS and VCS lights turned on. I turned around and went to my local repair shop. The lights turned off in 10 minutes and never came back on. I heard the same noises as above and they stopped in a few minutes.
    * The repair shop diagnosed the problem as C1391, they wrote on the receipt:
    "Trace to internal leakage of brake actuator assembly. Toyota needs to replace & reprogram."
    * I called the Toyota Dealer I bought the car from. They did not mention the Warranty Enhancement Notification - ZG1
    They said it would cost $2,600 ($1,700 part and 6 hours labor). I set up to bring in on Saturday 11/19.
    * I checked out PriusChat and saw the postings about the mailing. I remembered Toyota sent me something and found it and thankfully it was for the brake actuator.
    * I called Miller Toyota and mentioned the notification. I asked why they didn't tell me that there was one on the car (they can see it on the VIN). They said they would have told me IF it applied.
    * When I dropped off the car on Saturday 11/19, I showed them the receipt from my local receipt shop with the C1391 code. My repair shop told me they DID NOT clear out the history frame.
    * I was starting to be concerned that they would not find a current problem if the light was not on. I asked the service advisor if they would fix it under the warranty if the lights were not on. He kept talking around the answer. I asked to speak to the mechanic. I told him I might as well take the car home until the lights come on and stay on and hopefully it will occur again before December 2017.
    * The mechanic came out. He said "How do you know it is the brake actuator." I told him it went to a place where the mechanics are certified in some way by Toyota and specifically Prius. I have seen the certificates on the wall for their mechanics. He said, "No one is certified outside a Toyota Dealer." I said the computer codes they pulled said C1391 and they wrote it on the receipt and said they kept it in the history frame. I reiterated that if the lights are not currently on, will you fix it under warranty. The service advisor was leaning towards saying no. The mechanic then sternly said to the service advisor, "We know this is a known issue. Let's just fix it so it is right." THANK GOODNESS. Someone that is reasonable.
    * So they told me they would repair it under the warranty.
    * I got to rent a 2016 Prius for 4 days which was great.
    * Car was ready yesterday 11/23 and we picked it up and it was replaced.

Hope this helps someone.
    Michael

16. TWOPrius

TWOPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2011 Prius has code 1391., reset lasted only days. I purchased the Acumumulator online new for $702. Did install with a hybrid shop. Did break bleed with Toyota software. Seems it's the Booster/Master assembly. Waiting for used assembly from 2012 or newer. Tried to go new parts and lost. I did speak to Toyota Southeast. My Vin not included. They claim they will reimburse if policy changes. Time for class action.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is another thread on this, forcing nets to take action, if you can find it.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So is this a problem on Gen 3s now?

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We got this notice (in Canada), had it done in 2013:

IMG_8560.JPG

Not sure what happens if something were to go bad now?

20. mehranali012

mehranali012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi
    Problem. c1380 stop light relay malfunction
    2015 aqua
    What is location

SAMSUNG-SM-G928A ?