1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

List of favorite oxymorons, redundancies and a few euphemisms

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 1, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 2 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]264613[/snapback]</div>
    MS has not quite made it to my ignore list yet, but it's getting close! The only thing preventing it is his occasional burst of humor.
    And yes, I notice that all of these neocons are expert "cons". Do soldiers kick down doors and kill 2 year olds? Must have been terrorists hiding behind them! Or maybe the 2 years olds were actually cleverly disguised suicide bombers. It is very hard to respond to such deluded people, a bit like trying to talk reasonably with religious fanatics. I guess extreme ideologies are a kind of religion. What is happening in Iraq in fundamentally insane, as were the actions in Indochina. But back to the list, which was not intended to be merely political.

realistic neocon

2. jared2

jared2 New Member

pentagon probity
    bad weekend
    good Monday
    hip hop music
    bad Mozart
    good muzak
    hybrid SUV
    creative accountant
    political integrity
    corporate integrity
    low fat cream
    slim pastafarian
    corporate democracy
    democractic oligarchy

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    civil war

honest republican

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Liberal Morality
    (once you set a limit on conduct, how can it be liberal?)

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

plural marriage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jun 2 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]264780[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are confusing liberalism with libertinism.

1. The views or practice of a libertine in religious matters; freedom of opinion or non-recognition of authority as to religion; free-thinking.
    1641-51 Lanc. Tracts (Chetham Soc.) 10 A zealous Defender of the established Doctrine..of our Church, from Heresie, Libertinisme, and Prophanenesse. 1664 H. MORE Myst. Iniq. Apol. 566 Fed with the sweet sugar sops of Libertinism and Antinomianism. 1699 BURNET 39 Art. xxxii. (1700) 356 The Marriage of most of the Reformers was urged..as a Doctrine of Libertinism, that made the clergy look too like the rest of the World. 1704 HEARNE Duct. Hist. (1714) I. 110 His Design was to abolish all Religion..and establish Atheism and Libertinism, leaving every Body to their Liberty of believing what they pleased. 1748 HARTLEY Observ. Man II. iv. Concl. 446 If Men reject Revealed Religion, great Libertinism must ensue. 1861 TRENCH 7 Ch. Asia 84 Heathen false freedom and libertinism.

2. Disregard of moral restraint, esp. in relations between the sexes; licentious or dissolute practices or habits of life.
    1611 COTGR., Sensualité, Sensuality, libertinisme, or epicurisme. 1650 BAXTER Saints' R. III. (1651) 283 Troden under foot by Libertinism, and sensuality, as meat for Swine. 1754 RICHARDSON Grandison (1781) II. xvii. 186 Thus are wickedness and libertinism, called a knowledge of the world, a knowledge of human nature. 1761-2 HUME Hist. Eng. (1806) V. lxxi. 339 Wicherley was ambitious of the reputation of wit and libertinism, and he attained it. 1852 THACKERAY Esmond I. xiii, The lord made a boast of his libertinism.

3. Freedom of life or conduct; unrestrained liberty. rare.
    1647 HAMMOND Chr. Oblig. to Peace iii. 71 Dignified with the title of Freeman, and denied the libertinisme that belongs to it. 1753 HANWAY Trav. (1762) II. II. i. 71 If libertinism is carried to a certain degree, the coercive power must become arbitrary. 1875 JOWETT Plato (ed. 2) III. 451 The freedom and libertinism of useless and unnecessary pleasures.

Go to top of entry

6. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

Interesting chat topic about oxymorons.

P. :p

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 2 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]264613[/snapback]</div>
    aw whatsamatta? pissed off i called you out? :lol: i love it when people shoot out the argument, 'well if you're so for the war, why dont you sign up? well, the other side of the coin is, if you're so against the war, what have you done about it? chances are, exactly nothing but bitch about it on message boards, certainly nothing as meaningful as serving....

Funny, it holds true once again, the libs are THE FIRST to resort to personal insults.... :lol: :lol:

oh yeah, here's a real life oxymoron:

peaceful liberal

:lol:

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

witty squid
    investigative journalism
    interesting fig story

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 2 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]264819[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, do you understand, "I WASN'T TALKING TO YOU"? No, you wouldn't. My original question was directed specifically to another individual who both maligned John Kerry's military record, and in another thread was shooting off his mouth suggesting another individual should suit up and go to Iraq.

And yes, I have served in the military. Notice how it's the people who've actually served in defense in their country who speak out in opposition to the war, while the chickenhawk armchair soldiers stay safely at home on their lazy asses and cheer for their fearless leader George (another chickenhawk)?

I used to tolerate your inane comments because you were occasionally humorous. But you're just a pathetic, arrogant, twisted piece of calamari. And now you are on ignore.

Here's another oxymoron: Mystery Squid. Oxymoron, that is, without the oxy.

10. amazingarthur

amazingarthur New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 2 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]264836[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed!

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 2 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]264819[/snapback]</div>
    MS... for this to have any teeth, you've got to concede the point when the answer is not what you obviously expect. I saw you pose this same question to another PC'er who'd done all kinds of anti-war protesting, and when it was proven that he's done way more to try and change things than you ever would have guessed... well, you just ignored it like it didn't exist. I see the same pattern in this thread. You've again spewed wild accusations wrongly, and it came back to bite you. But that won't chage your attitude about anybody who posts against your beliefs, will it? Not if past actions are any indication of the future. If you aren't willing to give credit where it is due, then how will your comments/questions deserve a response or respect?

I guess the responses will keep coming for the same reason shock-jocks get irate calls to their radio shows. But the respect thing still dangles out there in the breeze.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 2 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]264836[/snapback]</div>
    :D

yet still no answer....

...just another loudmouth bandwagon Bush hater...

:rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 2 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]264866[/snapback]</div>
    actually, you re quite wrong in this, no one ignored it... the other person had in fact done *something*, but not nearly as meaningful as serving... i think it was a few letters and attending a few rallies, something of the sort.

the only trend here, is whiny, hypocritical anti war lunkheads who love to call others chickenhawks, when theyve done barely anything even approaching any meaningful anti war effort, then they get all defensive and angry when theyre called out on it. I LOVE exposing hypocritical frauds.... :lol: Call it a hobby... lol

13. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 1 2006, 07:35 PM) [snapback]264414[/snapback]</div>
    more skinhead pus

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 2 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]264908[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not, and I think you know it. That you won't admit it is the part that has me so quickly losing interest in what you have to say.

You specifically asked if he'd attended any rallies, and the answer was yes, and he gave specific times and locations. You asked. He answered your question exactly how you didn't expect or desire. You ignored it and skipped down a different path. Making your own reality of past events is form of fraud, isn't it?

Groovy to call people on fraud. Stupid to show it in yourself. You accuse others of something, and when it is proved otherwise, you pretend it didn't happen. It seems fun for you. I don't like it, but I only have control over my actions just as you only have control over yours.

If find it is the quiet ones who are typically working harder to make difference. Be great if you could find a constructive hobby. What are the benefits of your current hobby, exactly? What are you doing beyond falsely accusing others of apathy?

15. Mystery Squid

16. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Free Gift (I'm supposed to pay for one?)

17. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jun 2 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]265017[/snapback]</div>
    Free gift with purchase

18. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 1 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]264224[/snapback]</div>
    Second that.

Although I admit I sometimes read PC for the name calling and hypocracy on ALL sides.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jun 2 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]265017[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. But that's the opposite of oxymoron. More like a redundancy. But then I've seen several of these posted here...

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

Yes, free gift is a redundancy. Let think of some more:

born again buddhist
    boring polititian
    persecuted truth teller