1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Listing of 3rd Gen TSBs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hear an occasional squeak from the back brakes, typically just at start up, rolling out of garage. I don't see it as a "problem", and I'm not sure it can be rectified. Not sure exactly what's making the sound, but I don't see what lube would solve it.

You can and should lightly lube all points of contact between the pads, shims, anti-rattle clips (at ends) and caliper piston or caliper "fingers".Typically with moly based anti-seize. It's also good to lube-the caliper pins periodically, with something like Sil-Glyde, a clear-gel silicon compound it looks like. I've done both, still get the occasional squeak sound, so who knows.

There was a different set of rear pads available. As far as I can see they vary by having more bevel at ends. Besides reducing the brake contact area (when new) I don't see what they would accomplish.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Many or most disc brakes have this issue, because when cold, the metal plate of the brake pad needs to be smaller than the area fits into, because the pads get very hot and expand.
    So you move forward and stop, which rotates the brake pads forward. When you first drive in the morning, the pads are cold, you backup, then you go forward, and the pads clunk forward. Then they warm up and expand, and this stops.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The sound I hear is like if you run wet finger 'round wine glass rim, goes for a second or two.