1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lithium Ion battery on Two Eco

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by priusmatty, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    My assumption was that because the battery was very hot initially, it may be that the system was allowing the battery to cool a little before resuming normal operation. IMO the battery meter doesn't seem to be very accurate on the Gen 4 and I noticed it hangs on around 2 bars for quite a while sometimes before it starts going up again, even when the ice is running or the brakes are regenerating.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to say, no interior thermometer in mine, but it was very hot to me! :p
    Yes, it had been sitting out in the sun on my driveway.

kithmo likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, keep in mind that, if you're just starting out and the ICE just fired up, the battery is helping the ICE till the ICE warms up a bit, so no charging going on at that point unless you're coasting or braking. The ICE should charge the battery, though, if you get caught by a traffic light before it warms up.

RCO and kithmo like this.
  4. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my question is has anyone tried to recondition these batteries? In theory a Li-Ion battery can be reconditioned the same way as Ni-MH correct?

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope,

Overcharge a lithium and you get fire

Overdischarge and you get a paper weigh

Tande likes this.
  6. Ranko Kohime

Ranko Kohime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    My Two Eco's meter is very consistent, always adding or dropping a bar at the exact same SoC% from the ScanGauge. Granted the top 15% and bottom 20% are basically not represented on that graph...

It just does do some VERY strange things with the battery sometimes. Much to my dismay.:confused:

Or as I like to call it, a sacrifice to Hephaestus. :D

#66 Ranko Kohime, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You're not delineating the difference between lithium ion and lithium polymer. most phones used lithium ion and only a few years old lithium polymer. Drones have to use lithium polymer

8. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    In theory, Lithium Ion batteries also do worse in very cold conditions than NiMH. If I recall, Toyota may have cited the cold weather use case as the reason they put NiMH in the Prius AWD-e version. Of course, that could also just be speculation from the community here..or just Toyota marketing mumbo jumbo. (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOYOTA made that statement about NiMH in AWD-e - I can't find it quickly.

But GreenCarCongress said (as did many others): "The AWD-e models use a newly developed compact Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) battery that is designed to provide excellent performance in cold-weather conditions. "

It seems that most countries only have NiMH - that's all we get in Australia, and I think EU too.

10. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I've heard that, and it made me feel better about getting what I believe to be the Lith Ion in a south Florida hybrid. All we have here is heat. Should be interesting to see if the super-long-lasting battery life of a Prius can really hold up to the heat of south Florida. Normal 12-volt starting batteries tend to die after two years down here.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know for sure about the regular Prius with lithium, but the Prime has heaters in the battery to hep it perform better in cold weather. Yes, the heaters use some juice, but it's more than made up for by the better efficiency of the battery once it's warmed up.

farmecologist likes this.