1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lithium Ion Battery Pack for 2010 Prius - When?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by drspielman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wanted to know when a company will come out with an add on to the 3rd gen Prius for a battery pack? I have seen many companies advertise (Motion...etc.) for 04-09 models, but none of them will do so for the 2010. I am considering this option when I get my car in a few weeks.

Also, those who have the add on now in their gen 1-2, what are your experiences? Is it worth it?

2. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody have any information on this?

3. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    I'm not sure what the reasons are but the Lithium Ion battery has some problems that are yet to be resolved. It could be the number of charges or heat, perhaps cost. Also, battery technology is ever changing. MIT just announced a way to charge batteries more quickly. It is still a battery that is evolving. They are also taking the weight out of the battery. Price is also a factor. Eventually, our cars will come from the factory will all the power they will need for the life of the car. Won’t that be something?

In the not to distant future, we will have a battery pack that can take us to freeway speeds for longer distances. The engine will only be used to charge the battery. Personally, I think our batteries will be replaced with longer lasting and more powerful batteries. We have the option right now of adding to the amount of batteries we can connect below the cargo floor.

The problem with adding more batteries is cost. I think the mod is about seven to ten thousand dollars. Seven to ten grand can buy you a lot of gas. In my opinion, the price of batteries needs to fall first. Right now, I’m real happy with 50 miles to the gallon!