1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries charge up in seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wooski, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dave you really don't have to remind me of that. Efficient use of the energy we do use is equally, if not more, important. IMHO America still suffers from the "cornocopia syndrome" prevalent when the New World opened up a vast new continent with what appeared to be unlimited resources. Consequently, everything got super-sized, houses, cars, TVs ... you name it. It is the American Way!

Now we are beginning to realize that Earth's resources we've been consuming with profligate abandon for 200+ years are starting to show signs of depletion. US oil production peaked back in 1971 and is now down to some 60% of the peak (Alaska notwithstanding). We have double the per-capita energy consumption of most other industrialized countries, so there is much more we can do on the consumption front.
    All I was trying to illustrate was the reason why oil and it's derivatives power the industrialized world. It packs energy into a small, convenient, easily portable space. Getting off dependence on it will be long, expensive and difficult.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    any change is difficult and this is a major change. but it has to be done. the cost should never have been an issue, because the alternative is much more costlier. short sighted, self-centered, profiteering is what has destroyed our common sense so much that we still choose excuses while doom looms over us...

ya, call me chicken little if you want...what does it matter?

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In isolation that statement is very true. The other side of the coin is that we make our vehicles so incredible heavy (3000 lbs) to haul around 200 lbs. If the goal is sustainable transportation, what we have now is capable of a huge fraction of our transportation needs and the problem really is not weak batteries.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think anybody needs reminding of that. But I don't see the relevance. Yes, gasoline is energy dense. We also throw 80% of it away when we burn it in an automobile. If it were free and safe to use, I'd be all for it! But there are many more important factors here than energy density.

Here's a neat statistic. My Rav4EV holds the equivalent of one gallon of gasoline in energy equivalent. I can travel 120 miles on that "tank." The battery I'm using was developed for the 1996 model year. Gasoline emissions have killed hundreds of thousands of people. My solar-charged batteries have killed nobody. This demonstrates how far gasoline has to go to be competitive in this way.

It doesn't have to be any of these things if we decide to do it for real. Making that decision is the hardest part. Expensive and difficult (and deadly) is what we face by staying stuck to oil.

5. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering the external costs that most people ignore and the fact that oil is heavily subsidized (by much of the US military budget and favourable tax treatment) getting off oil won't be very expensive.

Better Place can build all the necessary EV infrastructure for your entire nation for 100 billion (equals 2 months of foreign oil imports) and for another 400 billion all the electricity generation in the USA (including for transport) can be made clean / renewable.

So you can have another year of oil imports or you can build a renewable energy/ EV infrastructure that will last for decades. Seems like a no-brainer. Now if we could just get our heads out of our asses.

I don't see this rapid charging battery as adding anything for transportation. The grid can't provide power that fast, and with a proper EV infrastructure, it won't be necessary anyway.

Check out this video: http://www.betterplace.com/press-ro...erson-interviews-shai-agassi-for-wired-scien/

At time 19:50 mark Shai Agassi explains how "a miracle battery solves no problem". But I of course recommend the entire video if you want to get educated.

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You are absolutely correct, Darrell. I am not disputing the importance of getting off dependence on oil. The Shah of Iran was once quoted as saying that "oil is too valuable a commodity to burn". In my opinion he was right. Unfortunately our entire way of life has been fashioned around the use of oil or its derivatives, mostly by burning it, at a rate millions of times faster than Mother Nature created it. Moving to alternatives really requires a Manhattan Program level of commitment that is beyond the time-frame of political Washington.

The problem with electricity is that it is not contained within any naturally occurring substance. We haven't been able to store lightning, though Nature does create it. We have to create electricity (currently from fossil fuels), then store it. While storage will always be a problem, I still believe that after conservation, direct solar conversion and breeder-reactor nuclear power hold the best hopes for our energy future. Successfully harnessing nuclear fusion would obviously be the ultimate holy grail for energy, since that, after all, is the source of all solar power.

Just what we will use for our aviation fleet however I have no idea. When gas gets too expensive, maybe we'll all just go by sail or electric boat!

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    More upfront cost for that technology, but longterm the gains in lifespan and performance make it worthwhile

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Solved.
    A second battery or bank of batteries to charge slowly ready for plug-in then deliver quickly at charge-up time to charge the vehicle battery.

9. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Quote from Toyota Technology Review: http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environment/powertrain/hybrid/index.html

"Research and Development for Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles

· Plug-in hybrid vehicle batteries can be recharged at home using off-peak electricity.
    · Over short distances it runs as an EV (electrical vehicle); over longer distances it runs as a normal hybrid vehicle.
    · Benefits: reduction in CO2 emissions, possible reduction in fuel costs, quiet operation during EV drive, and no need for new charging facilities.
    · To provide 60km electric drive range would require about 12-times the battery capacity of the current Prius.
    · There are many challenges concerning battery technology, such as creating a revolutionary battery for passenger vehicles that is smaller, lighter, and more powerful."

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Iron is a lot more plentiful than titanium, hence, less costly. It's not just anode area that's important.

11. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Regarding the fast charge discussion earlier, remember that Aerovironment have shown their chargers can charge a 30 kWh titanate pack from 0% to 100% (ie 150 miles range) in just 10 minutes.

All you need is an industrial 440 V 3-phase connection (which is available just about everywhere).

12. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ...like putting those 8 great tomatoes in that little can.

It all comes down to passing an incredibly huge number of electrons through a conduit such that the conduit doesn't melt down. Ever been on the NY subway during rush hour?

13. Herodotus

Herodotus New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Marty had the same problem in "Back to the Future". He uses a lightning bolt to charge his DeLorean time machine; he needs 1.21 gigawatts power (but they don't say how much energy).

Still, a lightning bolt is a nice, fast way of transferring energy. Toyota should look into that.
    :D