1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lithium Pack worth to switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abdullah arslan, Jan 28, 2022.

1. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    just saw that Dr. Prius' lithium packs back to pre-sale. I ve 2010 Prius @255k but never saw a bad sign of the traction battery, neither did DrPrius test. Right now getting 43mpg in this frigid cold season. I saw that the price of lithium pack is 2.1k with shipping to IN. So my point is that can I sell the old one as it is or after reconditioning? If so, how much would it be worth. I.e if it cashes a 700-1000, I d be willing to upgrade to lithium. Btw, I wanna keep the car as long as possible, my goal is to reach 500k

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    michael myers likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see how you can get much for an 11 year old battery with 255k on it.

a new pack should get you many more miles, lithium or nimh

4. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    43 mpg in cold weather for a 2010 is not bad.

SM-G960U ?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As stated by the OP: I ve 2010 Prius @255k but never saw a bad sign of the traction battery, neither did DrPrius test. Right now getting 43mpg in this frigid cold season.

The most reasonable response that comes to mind is why fix what isn't broken?

Foxglove, tony_2018 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because that 43 mpg would be closer to 53 mpg.
    Only with the lighter than stock pack from Dr. Prius.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's a pretty wild assumption considering "in this frigid cold season", and neither of us know what the OP driving habits are. But maybe they could get 63mpg with some plasma fire sparkplugs and a little redthingbullet and maybe we can throw on a big exhaust tip to help out also.

Shig, burebista and Paul E. Highway like this.
  8. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also how much gas would he need to save to make the the change cost effective?....probably would never happen in the life of that car. I would continue with what I have and not replace a perfectly working battery until it isn't.

9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In this cold weather where my mornings are below freezing.
    I am getting an average of 47.3 mpg, that is without the Pulstar spark plugs as I had new oem installed when I got my engine replaced.

I will however be reinstalling those Pulstar plugs soon.
    I will also be able to tell the difference when changed.

Could it be the Red Bullet or my prius driving skills?
    Maybe its the Lithium pack that is half the weight?

No matter what you think a new Lithium pack will be better than his old stock pack with over 200k miles on it.

He WILL see an increase in mpg even in this weather.

10. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as how much will be saved with gas, well that all depends on where you live and how fast/much the prices go up in your area.

I know when I fill up, I use things like gasbuddy and know my prius gets good mileage for that time it is used.

Would it be better to use a 10 year old battery, not to mention heavier than a new lighter pack on gas?

11. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Totally agree
    As a preventative considering age
    I can not be an aggressive driver with Prius, mostly in Normal mode, ECO in highways, POWER on highway ramps, hilly roads
    I did think about this also, if makes 5mpg difference overall, it doesn't reimburse itself soon enough
    The temperature really matters for any hybrid car, we moved to a house this summer and now it's garage kept. Compared to last winter (open lot) it was getting 35-38mpg after very cold start :D (about from 5-20 degrees). Now always 25-30 degrees higher than outside

12. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it were me, because I don't mind taking risks, I would ride out the battery till it is done then buy a lithium pack. That's actually my current plan of attack. I bought an OBD bluetooth plug a while ago and every 3-5 months I check the state of my battery pack. Currently it's at 45% and once it finally hits the 30's I'll probably just replace it with a lithium.

Note that in doing my method you take on additional risk. Just because an app tells you the battery has X amount of life doesn't mean it does, right? The battery could decide after a particularly hot cycle that it just doesn't want to charge anymore and now I'm in a pinch.

Better can be objectively observed. As much as I love Jack's lithium battery and am looking forward to purchasing one, I admit to my self that this is NOT going to pay for itself. I view the battery as an upgrade that invests in the car lasting longer and is cheaper than purchasing a newer car. Looking at anything from a gas savings point is futile in a lot of ways because like you said, the price climbs every year. Look to reduce maintenance over the long run to save money, and lithium is certainly a great way to reduce maintenance costs.

They're poking fun is all. You aren't likely to get a big enough boost in MPG to every outweigh the cost of the replacement. Think of it this way, even if you got 10 MPG better, indefinitely (which is impossible due to various factors) the following break down still doesn't cover it.

My city:
    Current gas price: $3.24/gal (USD, USA)
    My tank averages 10 gals at fill up from one bar
    At 10 MPG better that's 100 miles saved per tank, because 10(MPG better)X10(gallons to fill up)=100(miles further I went per tank thanks to the 10MPG savings)
    At 53MPG that's 1.89 gallons of fuel saved or $6.11USD saved per fill up

At $2.1KUSD for lithium that's 343 fill ups to offset the cost. I don't know about you but 343 fill ups is a long way off for me.

As further evidence, our good friend @Mendel Leisk hasn't even had that many fill ups according to his fuelly page. And he's tracked 56,166 miles! Maple Leaf (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly

Remember, replace it for longevity not gas savings!

#12 drbtz, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    abdullah arslan likes this.
  13. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This. Just wait for it to die.

14. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some people like to change their tires one at a time as they blow.

Some people like to let their smoke alarm beep until it doesnt.

Then there are those that when their tires are all worn down, they buy all four tires new.

Most smart people will replace that smoke alarm battery when it beeps its low.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail...

15. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That analogy falls flat when the battery for the smoke alarm costs $2,000. Also the analogy falls flat because a smoke alarm can be tested monthly. Tires tread can be measured objectively.

16. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Lol you will spend $2,400 or more just in gas for the year.

You would spend less in gas for the year with the Lithium pack and enjoy a pack that charges faster, drains slower and delivers maximum power even at a lower charge.

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I rode the battery in my '09 till it started failing in red triangling almost daily we drove the car with the failed battery with the ice engine running full tilt and the fan on in the back to get the new battery from the Toyota dealer and then had to disassemble parts off my battery so that I could put them on the new battery to make it all work And once that was bolted in no codes to clear nothing just take off and start driving and it made a huge difference on how the car ran The gas mileage didn't change a whole hell of a lot and as far as weight goes I've always got tools and stuff in the car that way probably 250 lb or so so I always have a weight penalty and I've never gotten above 47 and generally I get around 42

18. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No you wouldn't. I literally did all the math above to show that it would take ~350 fill ups to offset just the extra cost. Just because you say things doesn't make them true. If you can find a fault with my math, I certainly can with yours, let me know.

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Next time I will try round cell set up I been looking at these on Ali babba along time. Years. Just bought new dealer because rounds wet out of stock w no info . Oh well.

20. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @drbtz

Think about how much it costs you each time you fill up.

How many times a month do you fill up?

Now multiply that by the year and you have your answer.

I wonder if it makes a difference using a lighter newer pack versus a decade old heavier pack?

Hmmm....yea I think it does, yea you come out of pocket the $2k but you start saving right away versus paying more annually using the beat up OEM pack until it dies.