1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little bit of smoke coming from engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryans04white_prius, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Ryans04white_prius

Ryans04white_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I recently acquired my grandmas 2004 prius (she passed away). Anyways someone had stolen the converter so it sat in the driveway for a couple years. I recently bit the bullet and bought the converter to use the prius as my commuter car.

I took it to a very knowledgeable prius mechanic and he said other than things being dirty the car seemed to be in great mechanical condition. It only has 85,000 miles. I also had him do an oil and filter change. He inspected everything and said all looks good to go.

I drove it home and a little bit of white smoke came out from under the hood after driving up a pretty long hill. No warning lights and the car has been driving really well. I'm noticing a little bit of smoke after extended use but it's appearing to be less and less.

I'm wondering if the engine is just burning off dirt, grime, dust, mold, moisture etc from sitting for so long? Perhaps a little bit of oil got spilled when they changed it? Do you think I should be concerned or just monitor the situation? I'm thinking maybe I should change the spark plugs. I don't want to just randomly throw money and parts at it but I also want it to be a reliable cars for many years. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next time you notice a little smoke, open the hood and see where it's coming from

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe there's some spilled oil burning

4. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe the new cat? How many miles have you drove the car since the work was done?

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was it smoke or was it steam?

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The replacement cat on our 2007 didn't smoke but it sure stank for a while until who knows what coating burned off of it. If it keeps on smoking check your oil and coolant level at the cap and at the overflow tank (of course when the car is cold!) Personally I find it really hard to read the level markings on the coolant overflow container, even with the black shield that sits above the radiator removed, and use instead a sharpie mark placed on the side facing the passenger side at the half way mark.