1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little dots at top of windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by glennonrp, Mar 28, 2016.

1. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What are those little dots at the top of the windshield? They look brown and are raised. They are next to the camera and sensor for the technology package, behind the rear view mirror.

I'm asking because the manual doesn't seem to identify them and I need to affix my Metro Fastpass to the windshield. Do I need to avoid those? Is it safe to put the Velcro tape over them? Will the signal go through them?

iPhone ?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They aren't anything new, cars have had them for a long time now. They are there to help block the sun around/behind the rear view mirror area. The strips that toll transponders use adhere to them fine, and will not affect anything, at least in my experience and I've had MANY vehicles with them and mounted my transponder on/near em'.

glennonrp likes this.
  3. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have any idea if you can put window tint on them?

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sure, my volt had them on the top of the rear window and I had tint put over em'. A good experienced tint shop should have no problem.

Caniac likes this.
  5. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks, I appreciate it. My previous vehicle had the black dots but they were inside the glass, not on the surface like this. It made me wonder if they had any other function.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...also thought it was smooth visual appearance car maker is trying for where the window meets the frame.

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought you were talking on the glass on the inside of the car. But when you say "My previous vehicle had the black dots but they were inside the glass, not on the surface like this." I get worried because that makes it sound you are talking about something on the outside surface of the glass.

Take a pic or two and post them because I don't want to give you misinformation.

glennonrp likes this.
  8. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No, you're right. It's on the inside of the car. I meant that I thought the black dots on my old car were actually "baked inside" the glass. I don't recall it being on the surface (interior or exterior) of the glass. These dots are the pattern printed on the glass on the interior of the windshield. Image1459213732.224302.jpg Image1459213798.944673.jpg

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, thanks for the pics and yes, those are exactly what I thought you were talking about. No problem putting the Velcro tabs, Ez pass etc on/behind them. :)

As an aside, I always mount my Ez pass so the top of the unit is flush with the top of the windshield/roofliner and never had issues. I've done it in numerous Prius, my volt, a qx60, my xc90, all never an issue being read while going through tolls. Just mentioning in case you want to mount it up as high as it'll go to keep it out of the way...

glennonrp likes this.
  10. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In Mass they now have a smaller EZ Pass called (I kid you not) the G4.

Since I was having intermittent trouble with my larger version, they did't have any problem replacing it. The newer smaller version could be 100% hidden from my sightline behind the mirror-- even though it is rather low down.

Just mentioning in case you have a larger version that has similar intermittent trouble.

glennonrp likes this.
  12. degenerated

degenerated Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    U can def tint the window, but I would tint before attaching the toll transponder

iPad ?