1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little drawer beneath the cup holders???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Miss_Taz, May 3, 2006.

1. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Since this seems to become a topic on surprise Prius discoveries, here's mine:

I had always been a bit uneasy about closing the hatch. I could not reliably generate enough force using the inside handle (I did know about that) and would gently follow through by gently pushing down on the spoiler. I could always feel a little give there and was worried about damaging the joint if I pushed too hard.

About 9 months to a year after I got the car, I discovered that by pushing against the Toyota emblem in the center of the hatch, it is easy to firmly finish the closure. So, keep your hands off the spoiler and aim for the 'T'.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

After exhaustive minutes of testing, I've determined that what fits best in the drawer under the cupholder is two boxes of Rice-a-Roni.

A can of soft drink (or other popular beverage) is a tiny bit too high to allow the drawer to close. (I was thinking the drawer would be a good place to put a can and a couple of ice cubes---if you didn't have or didn't want to bring a cooler---on a medium-range trip.)

I was thinking of filling it with sand to report on how many cc's it holds, but will hold off on that until I can devise a way to do it without making a mess.

3. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]249137[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't know about it until I read it on this site. I use mine for the ice scraper, something you probably don't need to concern yourself with in FL. Hmmm... suntan lotion perhaps?

You should consider joining our "Wild & Crazy Guys" Club, it has zero benefits except status. But zero responsibility too, except maybe to promote Reds where ever you go.

[attachmentid=3244]

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ May 5 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]250614[/snapback]</div>

That is a lovely red, I do like my little Salsa Girl though. Can't wait to see what is available for 2008.

I keep my wine tasting kit in my little drawer. I have the corkscrew and a little knife for cutting cheese, meat, bread.

5. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 5 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]250617[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. Do you have a pic of your machine?

6. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 3 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]249147[/snapback]</div>
    We just traded our 2004 Silver Prius for a 2006 Blue Prius. We discovered the small glove box shelf at that time. 2.5 years and we never realized it...

7. Renee

Renee New Member

I just found the hidden drawer. Another great space to use to store stuff!

8. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(inventor00 @ May 3 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]249233[/snapback]</div>
    Would you be kind enough to get the OCPC blessing and put a copy of this onto the Knowledgebase, perhaps as a sticky? Thanks - it is a bit of a drive from the Baltimore area.

9. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OMG! Had no idea it was there! I can't wait to go out to the garage and pull it out now~yippee! Extra storage!

10. kevmac

kevmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That drawer kind of reminds me of Rob Schneider on SNL...

"You put your weed in there!"

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeri @ May 3 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]249142[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I guess the dealer didn't give you a very thorough overview of the car at delivery.

My salesman went over the SKS system fairly well but didn't specifically cover the detail of touching the black strips on the back of the door handles. He even threw in both keys in the car and pressed the black lock button to demonstrate the long beep.

Someone else mentioned the notches for the tonneau cover. My salesman also went over that too.

He didn't mention this "secret" drawer that I didn't discover until maybe a few weeks into ownership.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevmac @ May 29 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]262383[/snapback]</div>
    Yo Mann I would bet the "Fuzz" would never find it, (doing his best Chong impression, and that is very good by the way) Peace Mann

13. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renee @ May 7 2006, 07:52 AM) [snapback]251031[/snapback]</div>
    I put the contoller for the KLH sub-woofer in the little drawer. Very cool idea provided by another member of this forum, whose name I don't recall but to him/her I am eternally grateful.

By the way, the sub works great.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ May 5 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]250221[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you know, that sort of thing can happen :) Not long before my Prius came in (Sept '04) there was discussion on checking the pressure in the spare. I bought my '95 Odyssey new and had never checked the pressure in the spare. Following the discussion, I decided I REALLY should check it. The spare is in the rear, mounted vertically on the right side with a fabric cover. I had TWO surprises:
    1. After 9 years, there was only TWELVE PSI in the spare, it should be 60!! Everyone check the pressure in the spare.
    2. There is a storage bin inside the rim of the spare, held up by the bolt that hold the spare in.
    Now MAYBE the saleslady showed me this bin 9 years earlier and I forgot, but it sure would have been handy if I HAD known it was there.

That discussion saved me actually, I checked my wife's '97 the same day, found 17 PSI, pumped it to 60 and needed the spare for the first and ONLY time 2 weeks later. At 17 PSI, I would have been calling AAA.

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ May 29 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]262458[/snapback]</div>
    You don't actually have to touch them, just slide your hand in the slot and the door will unlock.
    Just don't do that and lock the car with the switch on the armrest before you close the door. This is pretty common for people who don't have remote lock/unlock fobs on their cars. A friend did that and had to go find the spare fob.

I knew about the drawer when I got my car because it had been mentioned here. It really is the best place for paper maps. I have a couple in there, under the tissue box.

16. meshell

meshell New Member

i had had my car for about a month and it took me 2 weeks to figure out where my 'real key' is, as i have the keyless entry on my prius.... :eek:

17. Surfinbird

Surfinbird Junior Member

I keep my swiffer in there. Perfect for removing unsightly road grime that might fly in the window on the daily commute.

18. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

What about that little cubby hole to the left of the extra compartment under the trunk? What do you put in that extra space?

19. tanteb & rgrpick

tanteb & rgrpick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Jul 4 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]281100[/snapback]</div>
    We use it to keep a few bungee cords and the ropey net bags we use in lieu of plastic or paper shopping bags. We've had mini vans and a station wagon and for the first time we know where everything is, have extra, unused storage space, and with the exception of the heat shield, there is nothing lying around. I can't believe it is our car, lol.

20. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

It took me three months to find that drawer, and I thought hmm I bet car thieves would never think of looking there. Mind you it's difficult to break into a Prius without making a lot of noise.