1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Little stuff falling apart

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Jun 30, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Prius is a little over 1 yr old. Every major component works fine. But the little things are popping up here and there.

Couple of months ago, the paint on the lower glove box button started chipping from usage. I didn't even open the glove box that often. Maybe few times a week. And today, the rubber thing on the parking brake fell off. I looked at it, the rubber has cracks on the side so it won't hold on to the metal part of the pedal when I step on it. I used the parking brake every time I park, but I would expect this to last more than a year. :(

I know that the 06 dash texture is different. I guess Toyota realized the 05 texture is easy to chip. I wonder if the 06 parking brake pedal is different.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The plastic loop has broken off my oil dip stick. I think I've used it....three times. Now I have to pull it out with pliers if I ever want to check my oil again.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Me too!

Small things like the glove compartment chipping off, dash warping, window rattles, and mud flaps that make noise at freeway speeds (even with sealant around them!)

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aren't these things all covered by your warranty? Just take it to your friendly dealer.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    weird. mine's holding up great after just under 16 months.

i agree, this sounds like something that should be covered under warranty.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jun 30 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]279434[/snapback]</div>
    Friendly dealer? :blink: Not always.

Taking the car to the dealer is very time consuming. I'll find a day to do it.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    26 months/15,000 miles and no worries. Sure glad I didn't screw around mud flaps or other aftermarket stuff.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ditto.

so far, only the paint from the glovebox release button (and the bad bumper clip)

9. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 30 2006, 06:44 PM) [snapback]279447[/snapback]</div>

You mean that you are not independently wealthy and have nothing else to do with your time but to wait at a dealer for 8 hours for a 15 minute repair? B)

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 4 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]280937[/snapback]</div>
    Of course not! Scotty is from NY, we’re just po folk here on the east coast, not rich Californians. :D

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 4 2006, 05:08 AM) [snapback]280943[/snapback]</div>
    You mean....I"M RICH?!?!?!? Oh no! I forgot to be a republican!!! :)

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 30 2006, 09:37 PM) [snapback]279444[/snapback]</div>
    Aside from the dealer notices my 04 has been a joy to own.. :p

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have only had the paint off the release button for upper glove box so far. (that was done by a renegrade camera tripod) actually had the dealer offer to setup a time to fix it. but didnt want to take the time to be honest with ya. not that big a deal to me. but the oil dipstick would be a major pain. i check my oil at least once a week (not sure why, have never burned a drop of oil. probably could go to once a month for now...) also had the center storage cover come loose as well. again, not that important to me. dealer wanted to replace the entire cover! thought that to be a waste. (i guess my conservationist attitude never stops thinking)

14. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 4 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]280937[/snapback]</div>
    :D :lol: :D :lol:

I waited 4 hrs for the SSC 60C recall (steering wheel shaft) and NYS inspection. Felt like the longest wait ever! If possible, I like to avoid going to the dealer at all cost.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jul 1 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]279812[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think the things mentioned in the OP are caused by the aftermarket stuff I installed. Actually, the mud flaps and bumper protector are from Toyota.

15. ecprius

ecprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 30 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]279359[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius is 27 months and 52,000 miles old.
    I've had two recalls and the free Nav DVD replacement done (I'm not complaining about these, though).
    There are a lot of scratches on the glove box, center console, and door trim (where the seat belt latch rests in the retracted position), despite my being careful not to scrape them.
    The paint on the hood seems easily chipped.
    The fabric on the center console lid is staring to come up.
    I just had my driver-side visor replaced because it wouldn't flip back to the "up" position.
    Yesterday I noticed the top half of my glove box is not fully opening ... looks like dash warpage.
    I love my Prius, but like you said, these little things are annoying.
    I just deal with them as they come up and enjoy my ride.

By the way, I'm past the basic warrany and into the extended warranty.
    When I had SSC60C done, I told the service writer about the visor. He didn't think it would be covered under the extended warranty because it would be considered "trim". I argued that it's a safety issue (here I am, doing 65mph on the freeway, fighting to get the visor out of my way, yada yada), so on the ticket he added something about the light not working when the mirror cover is moved. In the end, they replaced it under warranty.
    - Ed