1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Live from Lacy Washington

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hdrygas, May 6, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 8 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]251306[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't help laughing while I read this.
    Don't misunderstand, I agree 100%. It was just so well written.

Cheers

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 8 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]251306[/snapback]</div>
    Or just add *.mac.com to a list of trusted sites, so you don't have to be the odd ball that can't view content... If you know so much about w3c/web browesers/Phishing... why not just disable JS on non-trusted sites... :huh:

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well hey, was a great time. met a few more Priuschatters. saw a plug in hybrid, got to see a Prius motor in its pieces. very very cool.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 7 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]251306[/snapback]</div>
    I am really sorry!! I did not mean to offend. My first thought that in my hurry to upload pictures I some how had done something wrong. My response was just to reassure you that I had checked the few things I was able to do. I really know little or nothing about the Windows side of things, and I figured that the problem was there because the Mac stuff usually works. Please accept my apologies as I do respect you and your knowledge and additions to the board. I hoped that my responses would help you "debug" the problem as the pictures appeared to be there as far as I could tell. No hard feelings?

5. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 8 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]251858[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again for showing me the CANview in action. I wish I could have showed up earlier to catch the races.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm back home (I stayed in the area an extra day to see Cirque du Soleil in Redmond. -- It was fantastic!)

Lacey was fun, especially meeting PCers who I've chatted with here for so long.

The CalCars modified Prius, according to its owner, has an EV range of 10 miles (assuming the usual criteria for EV use). The batteries sit where the spare tire would be, so you either don't carry a spare (bad idea!) or you put it in the cargo area (inconvenient). However, CalCars is not in the business of selling these mods. They are a non-profit, non-commercial outfit whose purpose is to offer a proof-of-concept working mod, hoping to encourage Toyota to offer a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle).

However, EDrive Systems is developing a commercial mod which will use LiIon batteries (the car at Lacey used lead-acid) and will actually replace the OEM battery, so will NOT displace the spare tire. They claim an EV range of 30 miles, again assuming the usual criteria for EV use. It's wothwhile noting, however, that the benefits of the system do not require pure EV use. It will supplement the engine from the battery, thus reducing gas usage while the battery has sufficient charge, and once the battery is drained, the car will operate as a normal Prius. This system is estimated to cost $12,000. Clearly, this is not for the driver who wants to reduce total lifetime cost per mile. This is for the early adopter who wants a greener car and is willing to pay.

EDrive claims that Toyota would have a hard time denying warranty service on a modified car, except on parts actually modified.

You can check out their web site here. I paid $3.28 for regular gas while I was in Bellevue. Perhaps by the time EDrive is ready to sell their mod outside the LA area that $12,000 investment really will reduce the lifetime cost of ownership. Of course, if you usually drive under 30 miles per day, at under 34 mph, this mod gives you an EV, for all practical purposes, and you can thumb your nose at the oil companies (and be a slave to the electric utility instead). EDrive claims that at 10 cents per kwh a full charge would cost just under a dollar. Since they claim a 30 mile range, thats 3 1/3 cents per mile. If we assume 55 mpg for a normal Prius, you'd be paying the equivalent of $1.83 per gallon of gas. (they get a lower figure by comparing to the mileage of a "normal" car.) At $3 gas you'd save about $1.17 per gallon, and at 15,000 miles per year, assuming 45 mpg year-round average, you'd save $500 per year. At $5 gas, that number becomes $1167 per year. This assumes doing all your driving in EV, so may be unrealistic: 30 miles per day, every day, is only 10,950 miles per year, and the calculation becomes much more complicated once you are using some combination of electricity and gas.

The man at the fair said that if Toyota mass-produced the system it would cost $3,000 over a normal Prius, and would be well worth the money with gas prices just a bit higher than present.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok you guys, there was a lot of pics taken, where are they all?? specifically, my gf is very camera shy and i have been trying to get a pic of her for a long time. i know some of you have a pic of us. i want a copy!!. she never comes here so its ok...(she hates hearing about my Prius for some reason...not sure why...)

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank please post pictures of your "lips" aka radiator blockers. They were so much better than what I came up with and look good on the car! I should have taken a picture, but missed the chance. People should see them. Simple and good looking!!! O yes everyone post pictures or links. John post a few!!!

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

winter lips for the Classic, cheap, effective and easy to make and install. 1 length of 1 1/2" ABS pipe insulation ( Home Depot ) 1 tube of contact cement and a needle and thread and a box cutter or serated edge kitchen knife. Measure opening of grill area. Cut insulation 1 inches longer than the measurement, 3 inches in from the end cut a 90 degree almost thru to the front then put the contact cement on the edges of the V and let set NOTE I put the seam on the bottom. When the cement sets fold the ends in and take a thread and needle and put a few stitches in it to hold them together. Next cut the end to form a flat back side. Next take out to the car and hold up to the grill opening and with a felt marker put a mark where the grill bars are then take and cut a small V out on each mark. Now just push it into the opening and check for fit, trim as required. This mod gained me about 2.7 MPG over the winter and allows the ICE to run at a proper temp. The thermostat opens at 87C and that is where the ICE runs on flat ground, the big hill I drive up every day has the temp at 95-97C and the cooling fans come on at 100 C. So I'm still within the normal range. I took them out on the first of May as I was getting some nomal flat ground temps of 90C and the outside temp has been about 15C what ever that is in F? about 55F So their out till fall. Total cost under $10

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 9 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]252533[/snapback]</div>
    Angelina Jolie eat your heart out!! I think that is a great job!

11. ciparis

ciparis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 7 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]251306[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the rant was a bit harsh. If you choose to go way off the bell curve of Internet users, that's fine -- but you bring the extra work required on yourself when things don't work, and if you use those settings as a matter of practice, then by now it should be something you're pretty well used to (which seems to be the case, since you rather expertly found them on your own anyway). The poster didn't really need to be blasted because you didn't like how his site was made, when 98% of users would have no problem (and especially since he has nothing to do with the underpinnings of it -- it's all automated through his tools). Reminds me a bit of an old Lynx rant... :) I know it rubs you the wrong way, but it came off pretty rude.

PS: the "upgrade your browser" comments probably weren't meant in the manner in which you seemingly took them. Many people have no idea what they're using, and that poster was probably just trying to help.

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 7 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]251306[/snapback]</div>
    Losing battle, my friend. You might want to tackle HTML in email next.

Nice pics everyone!