1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Live in a trailer and using Prius as power soure?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by nanami, Mar 3, 2020.

1. nanami

nanami New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi

I am a Uber driver currently with another car in SF and I am trying to save money on my rent($1200-$1400 for a bedroom!) and turn that into a car mortage of prius prime.

the ieda was first come with vandwelling, but later I realize its very limited on power and I can't uber with a van

per my power monitor, I relized I normally need 200~400w of power when I am in home, it exceed what solar panel on a van can deliver

so, it comes up with a plan to rent a parking space for trailer, when I am away for Uber, I park my trailer on the parking lot, when I am living in my home, I will hook trailer to my prius prime, and use a inverter that connects from battery to power my home(trailer)

it will be a mid term solution of my living, at least 6 month or so.

but the question is, after I have done so many search,I still have no ieda how do I wire a inverter to battery safety and not to void hybird system warranty, the vedio is unclear and ConVerdant dont sell kits anymore, if I made anymistake ,its can kill me or cause a $2600 battery replacement fee.

what's the pro & cons that you wire to 12v battery instead of Hybird battery? ( do some changes to 12v battery seem to be much safer!)

do you think prius can be a reliable power source for my living?

is it possibile to get this done without void warranty on my brand new car?

do you think this lifestyle will workout?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. Jon Bloom

Jon Bloom Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Personally, I wouldn't connect anything directly to the traction battery, especially if you don't know exactly what you are doing. And the 12-volt battery isn't sufficient by itself; you would have to leave the car running. All in all, it doesn't seem like a great way to go.

I'm sure you have researched this, but I'm intrigued by your statement that you need 200-400 watts. That seems like a lot, and I'm wondering what you are using that requires that much power. It's especially a lot of constant power. You ought not, for example, to need anything like that when you are sleeping.

So the first thing I would try is to see if you can reduce your power consumption to a level that can be handled via alternate means such as solar power.

What you need to figure out is not only the maximum instantaneous power in watts you might need, but also the total power in watt-hours. That will help you determine the system you would need. For example, a 500-watt, 540-watt-hour system might be enough to fill your needs overnight. Then an 80- to 100-watt solar panel could recharge the system during the day. If you need to supplement the solar, you could run the Prime for a short period to help recharge the solar system battery. That would be better than relying on the Prime's batteries, I think.

3. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Meg&Bear and douglasjre like this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Is part of the plan buying a trailer with refrigerator and heat?

The car electrical power comes from gasoline consumption which would cost more than utility power. Solar or high voltage inverters and accessories will cost more than they are worth. Enough solar in the Bay area with its overcast clouds all the time would require a giant array. Thousands of dollars up front.

But the worst thing is you are wearing out the engine by running it in Ready mode 24x7. Seems there are plenty of jobs these days. Why not get one that does not require you to drive?

#4 rjparker, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  5. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Solar power is actually pretty cheap, the labor for install though isn't. The prius motor is actually pretty efficient, and it won't be running 24/7. It will only run as long as it needs to in order to charge up the battery. I can't really imagine it requiring more than 1-2 gallons a night in this type of scenario depending on how much power you need. If you are basically using it to power your small RV fridge, some lights and a TV you should be fine. Heck, if you could charge up the 5.5kw battery before pulling into parking you probably wouldn't start the motor once all night unless you start running the air conditioning for some length of time. If you want to run this off 12v directly tied to the battery however. The most I'd could see that inverter handling would be around 1500w though and the generator is good for maybe 1200w. So I would probably install a few extra batteries on the camper and use the prius to charge them to create a ballast of sorts if you are going down the 12v route.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As a former full time RVer, I can tell you that you are being “penny wise and pound foolish” as the old saying goes. We had 380 watts of solar power on our 34’ Avion, 4 220 amp hour deep cycle batteries, and a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. That setup cost us less than $4000 with our labor, and could handle everything but the a/c BUT the refrigerator ran on lp (the batteries COULD run it but only on a limited basis).
    Regardless of what some people say, the Prius is NOT a rolling generator. You will destroy the car, and come no where near providing your power needs in the real world. Please believe me, you will live to regret even trying it. Sorry.
    You could try heading over to Quartzside, AZ and find some good deals on solar equipment and lots of solid advice.

7. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm pretty sure this is something being parked in San Francisco or similar, and not exactly requiring a lot of power nor having a lot of solar access as the city and the peninsula never really exceed 75 degrees during the day and most paid for spots are in a parking garage just big enough for a small trailer + prius. I doubt he would ever exceed 500w draw on the setup.

Also, I'd love to go solar myself, but my 40ft Bighorn uses nearly 2,000 Kwhr's a month in Central valley CA during the summer and 400-600kw during winter. I got the sun for it, but I'd need at least 3kw to make a dent in my power usage. Last quote I got was 13k for only 1.5kw system and that was something that would grid connect as it needed to but use the batteries otherwise.

8. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    We have stayed in several RV parks in the Bay Area and they all had more than enough sun exposure. 2000 KWh a month! Our Avion had less insulation than your 5ver I’m sure and even in Casa Grande while in a RV park we didn’t use anywhere near that with daytime temperatures of 116 degrees Fahrenheit!! First rule of thumb in going solar is conservation (which the OP would REALLY need to do using the Prime as a power source).

9. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Solar is worth, especially in area where the electricity is costly. I have 4.5kw one on my rental property in Bay Area (Union City). After Fed tax deduction, I get all my investment back in 5 years.
    Only SF is overcast, other cities are sunny perfectly for solar system.

10. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Recently, I've added a reflectix cover to the roof on each of the slides, and it's made a world of difference on keeping the rig cool, apparently the slides really lack a lot for roof insulation. It's like suddenly our 2 14k a/c units can keep up with the cooling job. We installed R30 in the underbelly last year and that helped a lot with heating. Hopefully, the roof covers will help with the cooling bill.

Doug McC likes this.
  11. Gaylen Wilson

Gaylen Wilson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Have you thought of buying a small gas generator from harbor freight tools? I seems to me you're overthinking this a bit.

Doug McC likes this.