1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Live in CA - buy in another state?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime_Time, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I found an excellent price in Maine (carb state). Is there any verifications I have to make with CA before I proceed with this?

2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would certainly contact both states' DMVs and pose your intentions to see what you have to do to comply with their requirements. Are you flying to Maine and driving Prime home; are you having Prime shipped? What taxes, fees, one-way-trip permits, etc. do you need? Do the warranty documents in Maine match the highly protective docs in California?
    What docs will California need to register as new car?, MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin), etc. What about insurance til you get car home. Are you financing? What does bank need to ok loan?
    There's a lot to look out for.
    Me, I bought locally 'cause I figure if I have a problem, I can always drive back to the person I bought it from, and grab 'em by the throat....Har, har

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I suggest you contact your state tax assessor, you will need from the dealership manufacturer of certification, vehicle inspection, pay state tax, title and register. I suggest you go to Maine inspect car and drive it home, think of it as vacation, you will learn a lot on your vehicle.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as we know, Maine is good full CARB importable to CA.
    Apparently dealers have some way to enter VIN to get the warranty info, but I have never heard using that for a new car.
    But that is one approach. Touching base with Toyota USA always a chance we could learn something useful, but I do not anticipate a problem with Maine.

Basically take a look at the warranty guide and make sure Maine is in the same CARB category with CA...should be listed as such.

#24 wjtracy, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sam- historically all Prii are CARB certified, which is why Toyota needs to have complex internal policy rules governing which cars they are willing to cover via CARB warranty. That's why it's a bit of a complex issue, in some cases.

US manufacturers like FORD typically have CA vehicles via emissions stickers, so in that case the rules are easier: either you physically have a CARB car or you don't. But I am a little out of date on Prii for Gen4 I assume all Prii still CARB-certified.

6. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Well this doesn't sound fun. The dealer I'm talking to said he'd walk me through it but you lead me to believe I have to do wayyyyy more work than he is implying.

I'd have it shipped. Im not interested ins 3000 mile drive or whatever.

Just to add the price I'm quoted is 5000 cheaper than CA and costs around 1600 to ship covered. I'd save 3400

bisco likes this.
  7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, gotcha.

That being the case, I at least would just wait for an appropriate one to come available in CA.

iPhone ? Pro

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think MD 95 beltway dealers fairly experienced with CA purchasers

9. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    5000 off msrp?! from Maine - 1600 for enclosed shipping = 3400 is savings or 2000 discount from CA... what is 1400 worth? If it is not worth hassle in doing paper work, then just wait and buy in California. "FA6" purchased from VT and transport to Houston enclosed. While I drove, from Portland Maine to Houston.

10. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's 5000 off MSRP and 1600 to ship. It's MSRP in California. So 3400 saved.

11. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Yes, but for comparison reference what will you save buying in your state if available

12. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm not following. There are some similar available here at MSRP. I'd be buying at MSRP minus 5k plus 1600 shipping.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humble Apologies!
    I stand rightfully corrected.
    It's not right to make blanket statements like that and I was wrong to do so.

I will state that a healthy amount of skepticism should accompany anyone to a car dealership, and we'll leave it at that.
    I'll also stipulate that sellers of cars get lied to by customers from time to time as well.

14. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey my friend, I'm with you on the skepticism!! That's why I always try to get a referral from trusted friends, in all situations, where possible. My GP, Cardiologist, lately my surgeon and of course my Toyota dealer. I'm lucky to have several hundred decent business contacts to help me. You all here at PriusChat I also value. Thanks!

15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where do you live? CA has the best supply of Primes. I can't believe you can't get what you want here. As far as I know, Toyota does not have better rebates in other states. The whole thing seems like a foolish exercise to me.

16. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Prime premium price here I'm being offered is 30500 before tax etc. I've been quoted as low as 25800 from East coast dealers before tax.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do you know anyone who lives out there to verify these price claims? They really sound like too good to be true. I mean you're talking about dealer markups like we had back in the '80s on $46,000 Jaguars. Maybe Toyota has a dealer incentive program exclusive to the East Coast? Or maybe as one of our fellow Chatters has said, we've got some liars here? I'm going to ask my nephews who live on the East Coast if they can find out.

18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That price seems too low and below dealer cost. No dealer is going to take a loss. Have you tried other CA dealers in other cities?

iPhone ? Pro

19. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree, that 25,800 is most likely for the plus. When I bought mine in Jan. the dealers were pretty much at MSRP in NJ.

20. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've got my Prime research detectives working on East Coast pricing right now! They are my nephews and live in that region of the world. Hopefully we should get some realistic numbers from them.