1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Live in CA - buy in another state?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prime_Time, Apr 14, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Absolutely, the best damn weather anywhere! That's why everybody who can afford it (and some who can't)
    is here. Also the weather promotes more smog so we've had to push for stricter environmental protections to keep our beautiful place that way. Now what we need to do next is foster a campaign warning about our terrible earthquakes out here to keep the peasants away!! Har, har, har

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm pretty sure you, as an out-of-state buyer won't be able to finance the car in the "foreign" state. Also, it may be difficult to secure local financing for that O/S car. I did hear back from one of my Right Coast nephews, who lives in Joysey; he said they have discounts up to $3500. California still has the $1000 Factory rebate, and in some cases California will pay up to $3500 cash incentive for the Prime. That with the HOV stickers, Anaheim's $1000 cash rebate for L2 charger, AND my local NICE dealer all make the California purchase of a Prime a home run for me!

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Aren't there California and Federal Tax incentives forPrus Prmes How would buying out of state affect that?

4. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just spoke to someone at the California agency which offers the rebates for California residents. It sounds like a minefield to me, which I would not try to navigate. According to my source, you could purchase the car in another state that was CARB ZEV compliant, and you would have to prove that the car has never been registered anywhere. Then you would have to have additional paperwork to satisfy California for registration purposes. This would only hold true for a car like the Prime. The guy told me that they tried to do the same thing for a person who purchased a Chevy Volt from a Nevada dealer. The Volt was not a 50 state car, and the fellow was not able to get the rebate.
    The federal tax credit is another story entirely. My ambition left me after the California call.