1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Living at the top of a hill... Disabling engine braking?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Nougatti, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Nougatti

Nougatti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lately been experiencing even worse behavior.. Let me know if this is common:

I've got some 60-80% charge in EV mode and no AC running. Start going down a hill at 70 kph, braking to keep the speed limit at 70 kph. Battery charges as it should. Not even utilizing full CHG-area on the HSI. The hill is about 1 km long or so. When nearing the bottom, I can feel the brake pedal not increasing the charge as I press harder. And boom, engine fires up and starts engine braking. Battery isn't close to full either.. After medium strength braking for less than a minute... Is it normal? I've still got warranty and wanna know what you guys have experienced.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seems normal based on your description, but a video would be better. I have the ICE turn on all the time when using medium regen, but only after a longer period of sustained braking. I've yet to explain the phenomenon because no monitored temperatures go outside of normal range, and the battery should have plenty of capacity to take the charge. My best guess is it's a safety precaution taken by Toyota to ensure the battery doesn't get too warm. Perhaps the temperature probes on the battery don't react quickly enough to be reliable at protecting them.

3. Nougatti

Nougatti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try to get a video soon.

4. Nougatti

Nougatti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    All right, here's a video I took today. Outside temperature 4'C (39.2'F). ICE has been on a couple of minutes ago to heat the cabin, but now the AC system is completely off and the car is in EV mode.

Braking starts at 0:20.
    I let off the brake and throttle partially at 1:00 before braking further
    ICE fires up at about 1:20, having regenerated 1.1 km (0.68 mi) of EV range.
    So more or less a full minute of braking, though only moderate braking.

Btw, keep in mind that fuel economy here is measured by fuel volume per distance driven [L/100 km] and not distance driven per fuel volume [mpg] like you do in the US, so the lower the number (and horizontal bars in the MPG display), the better. When the ICE turns on, you can see the bars pop up.

Does everything look normal to you?

Redpoint5 likes this.
  5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Completely normal. This is exactly the scenario I described in my thread when I attempted to explain why the engine turns on. So far nothing explains why the engine comes on.

I have found that traveling at lower speeds and using less regen can sometimes avoid the engine coming on.

I suggest beginning that downhill portion from a slower speed, and trying to maintain a constant but gentle regen. This should avoid the engine turning on.

Here is my thread discussing the topic.
    PiP Regen Behavior? | PriusChat

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could the battery be charging too quickly?

7. Nougatti

Nougatti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the thread link! Glad to know I'm not the only one trying to figure out the trigger..